Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install rivnuts in the spots you would drill holes for the rear license plate? Seems like that would provide a more sturdy and serviceable solution at a fraction of the cost of the various 3rd-party brackets people have made.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
A RivNut is an elegant solution, but a solution to a problem most don’t have. Drilling a hole and using a typical lug screw holds just fine, and even cheaper. Just watch your dealership installer to ensure a parallel to bumper line fit.

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A RivNut is an elegant solution, but a solution to a problem most don’t have. Drilling a hole and using a typical lug screw holds just fine, and even cheaper. Just watch your dealership installer to ensure a parallel to bumper line fit.
I think the main concern with using self-tapping screws is that they strip out after a few uses, or don't have enough pulling strength. But I'm in your camp, there isn't an inherent problem with having holes behind where the license plate goes, as long as its on straight and centered.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
75 Posts
I think the main concern with using self-tapping screws is that they strip out after a few uses, or don't have enough pulling strength. But I'm in your camp, there isn't an inherent problem with having holes behind where the license plate goes, as long as its on straight and centered.
The riv nuts will likely won’t work in soft ABS plastic of bumper cover.

Check my ID.4 accessories at YuriKAccessories | Etsy

·
132 Posts
On my cars, I’ve used rubber well nuts with brass inserts and brass hardware for mounting through plastic bumper covers. No corrosion, no stripping, water tight fit - and if you wear one out, which I never have, you can simply loosen the screw to extract the old well nut. Unlike a self cutting screw, the tighter one tightens the screw into a well nut - more secure it becomes by “mushrooming” on the backside.
Camera accessory Tire Automotive tire Audio equipment Auto part

e.g.: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rubber+w...KHSI6J8CSK4A&sprefix=,aps,74&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
75 Posts
On my cars, I’ve used rubber well nuts with brass inserts and brass hardware for mounting through plastic bumper covers. No corrosion, no stripping, water tight fit - and if you wear one out, which I never have, you can simply loosen the screw to extract the old well nut. Unlike a self cutting screw, the tighter one tightens the screw into a well nut - more secure it becomes by “mushrooming” on the backside. View attachment 8505
Oh, these ones., looks interesting, I might look at those if my self-tapping screws loosen over time. But so far, 9 months and 15K miles is still tight

Check my ID.4 accessories at YuriKAccessories | Etsy

Reactions: systemlogicblah

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
551 Posts
I suspect (hope) this will no longer be a problem with Chattanooga built cars . . . .

I understand with the German built cars there's no telling where they would end up and what size and shape the plate might be, so they did . . . . nothing. Unfortunately, this put us at the mercy of some $10 an hour dealership employee to drill holes in our new $50K cars . . . .

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
551 Posts
On my cars, I’ve used rubber well nuts with brass inserts and brass hardware for mounting through plastic bumper covers. No corrosion, no stripping, water tight fit - and if you wear one out, which I never have, you can simply loosen the screw to extract the old well nut.
I like those! Almost like Riv-Nuts, but easily replaceable. Amazon has a super selection of them in many sizes. I'll have some on order before the day is out. Thanks much for the suggestion!

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like those! Almost like Riv-Nuts, but easily replaceable. Amazon has a super selection of them in many sizes. I'll have some on order before the day is out. Thanks much for the suggestion!
We need to find the smallest size hole, most are nearly half an inch.

·
132 Posts
We need to find the smallest size hole, most are nearly half an inch.
One of the dimensions is the depth of the “well” - they are typically about 5/8” deep before they compress under torque. So, just make sure you’re looking at the right number. You can easily find these guys at Home Depot, BTW - that’s where I get mine. It’s pretty easy to visualize the appropriate size with them at hand.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
Or even a much more than $10/hr salesman in a rush ... 😔
... Unfortunately, this puts us at the mercy of some $10 an hour dealership employee to drill holes in our new $50K cars . . . .

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
270 Posts
Like others have already said, Rivnuts will most like pull out if mounted in plastic. There are better options such as plus nuts. McMaster Carr calls them Rivet Nuts for Plastic and Composites here: McMaster-Carr

·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
132 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts