Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have taken road trips tell us your experience good and bad. Charging, miles driven and miles per charge. Software issues or likes.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
I would like to hear about these experiences as well. I will be driving from Long Island to Florida for the winter at the end of the year and it looks like I will be able to use EA all the way down.

·
2021 First Edition
178 Posts
Planning a 300+ mile trip from LA up to Mammoth Lakes on Sunday for spring skiing. EA has built out the route fairly well, and there's a few other 50kw chargers along the way as backup. It should be OK. Still, the first time is always an adventure. I'll report back.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Picked ours up last Friday in San Diego and drove to LA. Drove all over LA picking things up and then back to San Diego and then on to Yuma and then back west.

Contemplating taking it to Oregon in a month. I read a blog of someone who made that trip already.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition Dusk Blue
75 Posts
We drove with all four of us, from eastern Massachusetts up to Hallowell Maine (just south of Augusta) and then back south to the Electrify America stations near the Walmart in Scarborough, Maine. This is about 233 miles. We arrived with about 11% left, and charged up to 80% (~54kWh) in about 36 minutes. We then drove the ~113 miles back home. We did highways (Route 495 and 95) until the leg back south from Hallowell to Scarborough. That part was largely on Route 1, so more like 45-55MPH peak. Air temps started in the upper 30's F and climbed to the mid-40's F.

There are 4 EA stations in Scarborough, which is the farthest north in Maine that EA has at the moment. First machine is either CHAdeMO or CCS 150kW, and the other 2 are 350kW CCS. They all have 2 plugs, so it makes it easier to connect on one side of the car or the other. Only one car per station at a time. We had to call their tech support, as the first one we tried (#2) didn't work, and they logged the issue. Station #3 had worked earlier (looking at the app beforehand) and that one worked for us, once we had confirmed our account information.

We used the EA app that was logged in as the main driver (my spouse). Next time we'll try using a phone that is logged into an invited member on the account. It seemed to have reasonable information about when someone is using a station - which is a big improvement over EVgo.

The session would have cost us $24.50 if we had to pay for it. Bathrooms are in the Walmart. This location was already logged in Plugshare, and I checked in there, so that other folks would know. Since we didn't use the ID.4's builtin navigation, the battery would have been preheated ahead of time to get slightly faster charging rate at the very beginning - but this is fairly minor. We were using Google Maps, since the EA app easily hands the route navigation off to either Google Maps, or Waze.

Backup plan was to use a (50kW?) EVgo station, that are at virtually every Hannaford's Market in the state of Maine. Most locations have 2 stations, each with CHAdeMO and CCS plugs; again with only one usable at a given time. These have been mostly reliable with our Bolt EV in the past.

·
16 Posts
Tesla Bjorn just did the 1000km challenge! I go to his videos for range and charging. The one he did before this one was a charge comparing of the id4 and 3 other cars. Just out curiosity I google mapped a similar length route on I-80. Google said 9h47m. Bjorn did it in 10 1/2h. Not bad.

·
470 Posts
We drove with all four of us, from eastern Massachusetts up to Hallowell Maine (just south of Augusta) and then back south to the Electrify America stations near the Walmart in Scarborough, Maine. This is about 233 miles. We arrived with about 11% left, and charged up to 80% (~54kWh) in about 36 minutes. We then drove the ~113 miles back home. We did highways (Route 495 and 95) until the leg back south from Hallowell to Scarborough. That part was largely on Route 1, so more like 45-55MPH peak. Air temps started in the upper 30's F and climbed to the mid-40's F.

There are 4 EA stations in Scarborough, which is the farthest north in Maine that EA has at the moment. First machine is either CHAdeMO or CCS 150kW, and the other 2 are 350kW CCS. They all have 2 plugs, so it makes it easier to connect on one side of the car or the other. Only one car per station at a time. We had to call their tech support, as the first one we tried (#2) didn't work, and they logged the issue. Station #3 had worked earlier (looking at the app beforehand) and that one worked for us, once we had confirmed our account information.

We used the EA app that was logged in as the main driver (my spouse). Next time we'll try using a phone that is logged into an invited member on the account. It seemed to have reasonable information about when someone is using a station - which is a big improvement over EVgo.

The session would have cost us $24.50 if we had to pay for it. Bathrooms are in the Walmart. This location was already logged in Plugshare, and I checked in there, so that other folks would know. Since we didn't use the ID.4's builtin navigation, the battery would have been preheated ahead of time to get slightly faster charging rate at the very beginning - but this is fairly minor. We were using Google Maps, since the EA app easily hands the route navigation off to either Google Maps, or Waze.

Backup plan was to use a (50kW?) EVgo station, that are at virtually every Hannaford's Market in the state of Maine. Most locations have 2 stations, each with CHAdeMO and CCS plugs; again with only one usable at a given time. These have been mostly reliable with our Bolt EV in the past.
I user those EVgo stations in Maine last summer on my way up to Bar Harbor in my e-Golf. It is nice that they have a bunch spaced closely to each other.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
I would like to hear about these experiences as well. I will be driving from Long Island to Florida for the winter at the end of the year and it looks like I will be able to use EA all the way down.
You should have no issues especially on 95. There are a ton of EA sites and they are generally always up and working.

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have taken road trips tell us your experience good and bad. Charging, miles driven and miles per charge. Software issues or likes.
Mine isn’t here yet. We are expecting it at the end of next week. Any advice or tips for a first time ev owner is also appreciated

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
One tip is to only charge it to 80% and don't wait to charge it below 20%. That will reduce your usable range to about 180-200. The other thing, which isn't really something you can do but should know, is that the charge port is where a fuel hose would go so you need to back into these stations, which is annoying.

VW should have placed the port in the front of the vehicle. The electrical lines ("hoses") are pretty thick and difficult to maneuver. They aren't very long, either. This will be a headache once more people are using the stations. There usually isn't enough room for everyone to line up for each station, which is just as well, because it seems like at least one is always down. :) Our charging max is 125kw so the 350kw chargers don't give faster charges but the 150kw ones charge up to 80% in a little less than an hour.

·
34 Posts
Did LA to Vegas with a charge stop in Barstow both ways. One charger would give an error saying to remove, but the charger also wouldn’t stop communicating with car-result was having to use the emergency release to get it to disengage to move to another station.

35 minutes to go from 25-80 each time once I got past that hiccup

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
One thing to note is that the EA chargers don't always produce what they're rated at. You might already know they won't do it if there is more than one vehicle there, but you might not know it'll happen even without anyone there.

On my last charge, the EA that was rated at 350 was only producing 52. It was 3am and I thought I'd grab a quick charge...turned out it took me an hour and a half. I read through the manual for a bit and then fell asleep and thankfully woke up with 3 minutes left of my idle grace period!

(that idle grace period is another point to bring up: once your charge is over you only have ten minutes to unplug or you will be charged an idle fee).

So plan accordingly when estimating time. This is one of the reasons I'm not sure we're going to take the ID on our trip to Oregon. I don't see my family happily waiting around an extra 3-6 hours depending.

One other thing to pay attention to: when we first charged at EA I tapped my phone to the card reader instead of the little "tap to pay" plastic square and my iPhone paid with my credit card instead of using my free account. Customer service instructed me to use "slide to start" (start charing with the app itself instead of the screen) to avoid that potential problem.

·
Banned
63 Posts
One thing to note is that the EA chargers don't always produce what they're rated at. You might already know they won't do it if there is more than one vehicle there, but you might not know it'll happen even without anyone there.

On my last charge, the EA that was rated at 350 was only producing 52. It was 3am and I thought I'd grab a quick charge...turned out it took me an hour and a half. I read through the manual for a bit and then fell asleep and thankfully woke up with 3 minutes left of my idle grace period!

(that idle grace period is another point to bring up: once your charge is over you only have ten minutes to unplug or you will be charged an idle fee).

So plan accordingly when estimating time. This is one of the reasons I'm not sure we're going to take the ID on our trip to Oregon. I don't see my family happily waiting around an extra 3-6 hours depending.

One other thing to pay attention to: when we first charged at EA I tapped my phone to the card reader instead of the little "tap to pay" plastic square and my iPhone paid with my credit card instead of using my free account. Customer service instructed me to use "slide to start" (start charing with the app itself instead of the screen) to avoid that potential problem.
I hear you loud and clear pal !!

·
563 Posts
Did LA to Vegas with a charge stop in Barstow both ways. One charger would give an error saying to remove, but the charger also wouldn’t stop communicating with car-result was having to use the emergency release to get it to disengage to move to another station.

35 minutes to go from 25-80 each time once I got past that hiccup
I have found that if you lock and unlock your doors several times the plug will release sometimes.

·
75 Posts

The ID.4 can use up to about 125kW. It will use that from about 5% up to about 30%, and t hen start ramping down. It slopes down more slowly than most car, and can charge as quickly as some cars that have higher peak rates.

So, an EA station rated at 150kW will be just as quick as one rated at 350kW, for the ID.4.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
The ID.4 can use up to about 125kW. It will use that from about 5% up to about 30%, and t hen start ramping down. It slopes down more slowly than most car, and can charge as quickly as some cars that have higher peak rates.

So, an EA station rated at 150kW will be just as quick as one rated at 350kW, for the ID.4.
Yes, that’s a different issue from what I was explaining. The chargers themselves won’t always put out their rating depending on how many people are using them and whatever the problem was with mine that was only putting out 52kw.

If time is important to someone traveling they really need to check an app like PlugShare where people will report/flag broken or malfunctioning chargers…and someone can still encounter one like mine and add an extra hour or two to the trip that wasn’t anticipated. Luckily I was just a few blocks from my house, bored, and didn’t care. But if I had my whole family with me on a road trip it would have really put some stress on the situation.

·
75 Posts
Yes, that’s a different issue from what I was explaining. The chargers themselves won’t always put out their rating depending on how many people are using them and whatever the problem was with mine that was only putting out 52kw.

If time is important to someone traveling they really need to check an app like PlugShare where people will report/flag broken or malfunctioning chargers…and someone can still encounter one like mine and add an extra hour or two to the trip that wasn’t anticipated. Luckily I was just a few blocks from my house, bored, and didn’t care. But if I had my whole family with me on a road trip it would have really put some stress on the situation.
What charge level was your battery at, when it was using 52Kw?

·
2021 First Edition
178 Posts
I just did that 300+ mile trip from LA to Mammoth Lakes. It went very smoothly.

I do this route a lot. I used this first trip as more of a scouting mission. Wanted to test out all the EA chargers to make sure they worked, so three charges instead of one or two. I also tried to have enough in the battery to be able to skip a charger. That meant leaving more in the battery, which also slowed down charge rates. I finally let it run down to about 20% before the last charger in Bishop. There, I got a max charge rate of 127kw.

The town of Mammoth is still pretty thin on charging. No fast chargers here yet, but soon. So I filled the battery to 98% in Bishop to make sure I had enough for the week here. The last 35-40 miles took 25% of the battery because of a 4000 foot climb. Not surprising, I find mountains tend to drain the battery at about twice the normal rate. Of course, you get a lot of it back on the way home, so that's nice.

Anyways, the ID.4 did great. No real surprises. This is going to be a decent road trip car.

·
563 Posts
I just did that 300+ mile trip from LA to Mammoth Lakes. It went very smoothly.

I do this route a lot. I used this first trip as more of a scouting mission. Wanted to test out all the EA chargers to make sure they worked, so three charges instead of one or two. I also tried to have enough in the battery to be able to skip a charger. That meant leaving more in the battery, which also slowed down charge rates. I finally let it run down to about 20% before the last charger in Bishop. There, I got a max charge rate of 127kw.

The town of Mammoth is still pretty thin on charging. No fast chargers here yet, but soon. So I filled the battery to 98% in Bishop to make sure I had enough for the week here. The last 35-40 miles took 25% of the battery because of a 4000 foot climb. Not surprising, I find mountains tend to drain the battery at about twice the normal rate. Of course, you get a lot of it back on the way home, so that's nice.

Anyways, the ID.4 did great. No real surprises. This is going to be a decent road trip car.
What's the point of EA 350kW at EA chargers, futures? Does Tesla have a J1772 adapter? Do other BEVs have more than 150kW capability?

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
What's the point of EA 350kW at EA chargers, futures? Does Tesla have a J1772 adapter? Do other BEVs have more than 150kW capability?
The point is to future proof their chargers. Yes, Tesla can use an adapter to access CCS chargers, however, they only charge at 250kw.

The only BEVs that I know of that can benefit from this are the Porsche Taycan and eTron GT.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts