Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only way I can make the id4 work for my family is to use a rooftop cargo box (our dog will be occupying the trunk). Anyone care to hazard a guess what kind of range reduction I'm looking at with a rooftop cargo box?
I'm concerned that reported range ~ 230 == real world range of 200 == real world range of 150 with a rooftop box.

·
378 Posts
The only way I can make the id4 work for my family is to use a rooftop cargo box (our dog will be occupying the trunk). Anyone care to hazard a guess what kind of range reduction I'm looking at with a rooftop cargo box?
I'm concerned that reported range ~ 230 == real world range of 200 == real world range of 150 with a rooftop box.
Hard to know for an ID.4 at this point, but similar impact study on a Tesla Model 3 was a 12% hit. Model 3 Roof Rack Consumption Test

You quoted standard ~230 mile range for the ID.4. Are you talking the AWD model?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, AWD. I live in MN so I’m leaning toward AWD. It’s also why I shave off miles for the “real world range” - temps are less than ideal for battery efficiency.
Thanks for that link! 12% isn’t as bad as I would have thought.

·
53 Posts
Yep, AWD. I live in MN so I’m leaning toward AWD. It’s also why I shave off miles for the “real world range” - temps are less than ideal for battery efficiency.
Another Minnesotan! Welcome. I signed up for my test drive at Ridgedale; sad that it’s not until the end of May.
Range reduction is a definite concern and one reason I’ve still been considering the Ariya with its purported 300 mile range.
One option for you might be one of those cargo racks that fit into the hitch receiver - keeps it out of the wind.

·
196 Posts
One option for you might be one of those cargo racks that fit into the hitch receiver - keeps it out of the wind.
Do you know of any range tests for those rear hitch cargo racks? I was thinking as well that the reduction in range might be a bit better compared to roof top options (also easier accessible).

·
35 Posts
Do you know of any range tests for those rear hitch cargo racks? I was thinking as well that the reduction in range might be a bit better compared to roof top options (also easier accessible).
I don't have any data for the impact of roof racks vs. rear hitch cargo options on EV range. But gas mileage on an ICE vehicle should offer some guidance. In the case of our road-tripping vehicle (shape not dissimilar to the ID.4), any roof rack cargo has a significant impact on consumption (up by a good 20% at highway speeds, more if going faster). Meanwhile, the hitch cargo solution has had barely any discernible impact on fuel economy. I'd peg it in the <5% range, which is why I'm reluctant to even attribute it to the cargo tray, as opposed to headwinds, etc.

To be sure, the viability of a hitch tray depends on your cargo. Skis may be harder to transport that way. But for luggage, etc., these are great options. When in a pinch, we just pile two of Costco's gigantic storage boxes onto the tray. They fit perfectly next to one another, and you could add more on top. Just make sure you don't cover your taillights. On the ID.4, they are high enough up to support quite some storage. Since it's not the teardrop shape of, say, the Model Y, the aerodynamics should also be impacted less.

One minor caveat is that, if memory serves, most cargo trays are meant for a 2-inch receiver, so the ID.4's 1.25-inch receiver would require some adapter. Here's the tray we're using. Another nice feature is the ability to fold it away when not in use, presumably helping aerodynamics and reducing the vehicle footprint for parking, etc. Hope this helps.

·
196 Posts
I don't have any data for the impact of roof racks vs. rear hitch cargo options on EV range. But gas mileage on an ICE vehicle should offer some guidance. In the case of our road-tripping vehicle (shape not dissimilar to the ID.4), any roof rack cargo has a significant impact on consumption (up by a good 20% at highway speeds, more if going faster). Meanwhile, the hitch cargo solution has had barely any discernible impact on fuel economy. I'd peg it in the <5% range, which is why I'm reluctant to even attribute it to the cargo tray, as opposed to headwinds, etc.

To be sure, the viability of a hitch tray depends on your cargo. Skis may be harder to transport that way. But for luggage, etc., these are great options. When in a pinch, we just pile two of Costco's gigantic storage boxes onto the tray. They fit perfectly next to one another, and you could add more on top. Just make sure you don't cover your taillights. On the ID.4, they are high enough up to support quite some storage. Since it's not the teardrop shape of, say, the Model Y, the aerodynamics should also be impacted less.

One minor caveat is that, if memory serves, most cargo trays are meant for a 2-inch receiver, so the ID.4's 1.25-inch receiver would require some adapter. Here's the tray we're using. Another nice feature is the ability to fold it away when not in use, presumably helping aerodynamics and reducing the vehicle footprint for parking, etc. Hope this helps.
That is awesome. Thanks for your inside. That will be the option for us. We are camping quite a bit and this will help very much. I think, we just have to watch the vertical weight rating.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And presumably you can still open the trunk if you have a modestly loaded hitch tray?

·
35 Posts
And presumably you can still open the trunk if you have a modestly loaded hitch tray?
I cannot speak for the ID.4 (yet) but, based on experience with a comparable SUV, the answer is yes. There's enough space to open the trunk even with a well-stacked carrier. In fact, our carrier leaves enough of a gap even for our 50-pound dog to get in and out of the trunk.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
Does anybody know yet what the verticals hitch capacity officially is done the 1st edition?
Normally it's around 10% of pulling rating, which is 2200lb. I also think I read it is 220lb.

·
196 Posts
Normally it's around 10% of pulling rating, which is 2200lb. I also think I read it is 220lb.
Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that it is between 10 and 15% and was wondering if any of the new owners has that somewhere in their specs.

PS: i forgot to look where the backup camera is on the ID.4. Is it underneath er VW Logo?

·
532 Posts
Note that was tested at 100km/h = 62mph. At our highway speeds of 75mph the loss will be higher than 15% since it goes up exponentially with speed. These tests on many gas cars said it was 19%:
How Adventure Gear Strapped to Your Roof Affects Gas Mileage

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st ed
22 Posts
Get a smaller dog. Just kidding.

·
86 Posts
Hi, real world, 70Mph and the AC on full (I live in hot part of California, and range is 200, with the biggest roof box Yakima sell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts