Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what folks were using for EV route planning software/apps? I have a 530 mile trip I routinely take and I easily do it on one tank of fuel. I know I am going to need to recharge at least once to make it in an EV. My initial research showed that some tend to favor one charging station or another. I didn't know what software was best and takes in all the different charging stations out there and how often they are updated with new stations.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
105 Posts
I presume we can get route planning charger insight from the vehicle's system? Between VW dealership ChargePoint and partnered Electrify America highway chargers there should be adequate, at least on the coastal corridors?

My iPhone ChargePoint App (used for home charger activation) shows nearby commercial/personal chargers.

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I presume we can get route planning charger insight from the vehicle's system?
I have found most vehicle nav systems to be fair at best and have limited/no updates. I was concerned that the in vehicle charger route planning might not be the best and not updated all that often, if ever. So I was looking for alternatives that would be better, be updated more often, be a backup and be a second opinion. Sometimes my BMW and my Garmin give VERY different routing, although time traveled is often very close.

·
24 Posts
Check out A Better Routeplanner. The interface can be a bit quirky, but what's really good is the modeling of the various EVs, even the ID.4 is already on there (beta). It makes it very easy to compare different EVs as well, and it automatically will guide you to the fastest chargers for your car.

They also have mobile apps (with an even quirkier interface).

Once you have the car, Apple announced they'll support a number of EVs in their Maps app. You should be able to connect the Maps app to your EV app, and from what I understand Maps can then use the current SoC of the EV to plan the route. However, I don't think this feature is live yet, and I don't think they've announced yet which EVs will be supported either. It could very well be that VW won't be supported.

·
61 Posts
I second A Better Routeplanner. ABRP does very well at pre-planning routes including charging stops. The navigation/consumption is very customizable including start SOC, planned end SOC, min/max SOC for charging, how fast you drive, extra weight carrying, amount of battery degradation, weather conditions, etc.

ABRP is currently testing ID.3 for real time navigation (Tesla has an API that can communicate with ABRP for real time SOC/consumption). Real time would either be done through API or the OBD port (which would require some sort of dongle).

·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my research I stumbled across ABRP, but I didn't explore it much, I will check it out further. I did find another planner that had the ID.4 as an Alpha test. I didn't save that planner and I don't remember which one it was.

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
78 Posts
I have the Chargeways app on my phone for now. Looks decent enough, and has ID.4 support.

·
10 Posts
If you know where you're going, Google Maps can do that pretty easily. And if you're signed in to the same account on your computer & phone, you can set the drive up on your computer & it'll just be there on the phone. Super simple...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts