Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Car-Net app I was looking at the, "Buy Plans" section and reading the very short description of the Safe & Secure service for $99 a year (to start). So, does this Safe & Secure product have anything to do with the little "SOS" button in the overhead? Up to now, I thought the SOS button was active all the time as a standard feature of ID.4. Sort of like a fire alarm box on a street corner. With the limited functionality of the Car-Net app I don't see how Safe & Secure is worth anything. Is there some hidden value that I'm missing here? Also, Why does Verizon have a lock on all things ID.4? Shouldn't we be able to sign the car up with T-Mobile or AT&T or....? Personally, I'm not a Verizon customer and would prefer to sign the car up with my regular cellphone provider.

·
523 Posts
I hadn't looked that closely until you posted this, so I went and looked! I just assumed it was included.... and it appears that it IS an optional service that costs more.

Purple Violet Rectangle Font Magenta

Here is a link to the website with what's included with the ID.4 and what costs extra: car-net

EDIT: Well, it looks like VW redirects to the main site. Here is a photo of the page for the impatient. :)

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

On your second question, I just posted some info in a different thread where someone asked if you can change the provider. I called Car Net and asked them some questions. Instead of reposting, that info is in this thread: (39) Locked e-sim? Verizon vs T-mobile | Volkswagen ID Forum (vwidtalk.com)

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
428 Posts
In the Car-Net app I was looking at the, "Buy Plans" section and reading the very short description of the Safe & Secure service for $99 a year (to start).
I was offered 15 months of this service for $99, a better deal than the usual one year plan. I assumed its discounted because its not fully functional just yet.

Reactions: GrayEagle61

·
523 Posts
I should also mention that this thing of tieing to one cell provider for the car isn't unusual either. My Audi only has AT&T available.

·
47 Posts
Safe and Secure is a CarNet feature. Has nothing to do with Verizon. Verizon pertains to the offered hotspot only. I assume that the SOS light will be red without an active Safe & Secure subscription similar to GM and Onstar Safety & Security.

The unknown with CarNet Safe & Secure is if your car is trackable. With the GM phone apps, if Onstar Safety & Security is active you can track your car location via the GM app. With VW, CarNet is not setup to do this. Can CarNet track if the car is stolen and the police request CarNet tracking services?

·
523 Posts
The unknown with CarNet Safe & Secure is if your car is trackable. With the GM phone apps, if Onstar Safety & Security is active you can track your car location via the GM app. With VW, CarNet is not setup to do this. Can CarNet track if the car is stolen and the police request CarNet tracking services?
That's not an unknown. It clearly says on the Car Net website:

Water Rectangle Violet Font Handwriting

I can't think of any reason why, if you didn't pay for it to start with, and later if your car was stolen, that there isn't a reason that can't be paid for an activated. The cell system in the car is always on, even if you aren't paying for services.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should also mention that this thing of tieing to one cell provider for the car isn't unusual either. My Audi only has AT&T available.
It would be so much more convenient if ID.4 owners could just add the car as a new device to their exciting cellphone accounts and manage the subscriptions from there. Apple and Android Car-Play work very well and sort of put a band aid on the problem, but it's not the ideal solution.

·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hadn't looked that closely until you posted this, so I went and looked! I just assumed it was included.... and it appears that it IS an optional service that costs more.
This might just be a personal beef on my part, but I feel that having a non-functioning "SOS" button in a car is like putting up a fake fire alarm box on a street corner (anyone remember fire alarm boxes?). It would give a sense of false security. Are all ID.4 owners aware that the button does nothing unless they pay for the service? I'm sure some are not. In my opinion, if you put the SOS button feature in the car it should function to at least report your distress position when activated without additional cost. If the car owner does not want the automatic renewing subscription then the dealer should just pull the SOS button out and install a blank that says nothing. This is where ethics collides with marketing. I understand charging the subscription fee for all the other features included with Safe & Secure, but the basic SOS should be free.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
I was able to do that with my Audi once the free trial period elapsed (four years in that case, five years with the ID.4?).
It was an add'l $10/mo. on my AT&T [iPhone] account (Audi was AT&T based at that time). I did so mostly to retain the very handy Google map cellular overlay to the vehicle's own SatNav. But when Google-VWAG parted ways in ~January 2020 I cancelled same.
It would be so much more convenient if ID.4 owners could just add the car as a new device to their exciting cellphone accounts and manage the subscriptions from there. Apple and Android Car-Play work very well and sort of put a band aid on the problem, but it's not the ideal solution.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
It's the same with my wife's Benz GLA SOS button. No bucks, no Buck Rogers. :(
This might just be a personal beef on my part, but I feel that having a non-functioning "SOS" button in a car is like putting up a fake fire alarm box on a street corner (anyone remember fire alarm boxes?). It would give a sense of false security. Are all ID.4 owners aware that the button does nothing unless they pay for the service? I'm sure some are not. In my opinion, if you put the SOS button feature in the car it should function to at least report your distress position when activated without additional cost. If the car owner does not want the automatic renewing subscription then the dealer should just pull the SOS button out and install a blank that says nothing. This is where ethics collides with marketing. I understand charging the subscription fee for all the other features included with Safe & Secure, but the basic SOS should be free.

·
523 Posts
I suspect if you push that button and didn't pay for the service, that they have a one time charge feature of come sort, but I doubt they want to advertise that fact. I've never pushed it to find out. LOL

How else will they get you to pay a subscription for something you otherwise bought if they don't do that? :sneaky: (he says in jest)

Seriously though, with all the other parts in the car already, the incremental cost to VW is probably less than a $100 per car to put it in and try to convince you to pay for it. Audi at least provided it for free for 3 years on my Q5 (along with map updates for the nav and basic connected car features such as remote lock/unlock, mileage, and fuel level). But beyond that, it was all pay fors... and quite princely priced at that. Hell BMW was at least at one point charging an annual fee to use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. I don't know if they stopped that or now, but it was a thing.

·
662 Posts
My salesman actually did explain that it was a paid optional service while he was offering me extended service packages etc. My uses for Car Net are limited to monitoring a charging session and precooking or pre heating the car. Even that is available for only 3 years with out a fee renewal. I guess that they figured how much money GM was making with OnStar.

·
ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue w/Black
37 Posts
I agree

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Gray
41 Posts
I was told that the ID4 comes with 3 years of roadside assistance, or at least that’s what I thought. And that getting the car-net feature hooked up was so that the SOS feature would work. I saw the safe and secure add on in the app but assumed it was some type of extra add on

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Gray
41 Posts
This is what’s part of the ID4 warranty description on VW site:
Plus, you’ll get two years/20,000 miles of Scheduled Carefree Maintenance⁠4, and with three years/36,000 miles of Roadside Assistance⁠5, your out-of-charge vehicle can be towed to the nearest Electrify America station free of charge. There is no limit to the number of times you can use this service per year, and it’s available 24/7. We have all these warranties and services in place, because we believe being confident in yourVolkswagen is everything.

·
523 Posts
This is what’s part of the ID4 warranty description on VW site:
Plus, you’ll get two years/20,000 miles of Scheduled Carefree Maintenance⁠4, and with three years/36,000 miles of Roadside Assistance⁠5, your out-of-charge vehicle can be towed to the nearest Electrify America station free of charge. There is no limit to the number of times you can use this service per year, and it’s available 24/7. We have all these warranties and services in place, because we believe being confident in yourVolkswagen is everything.
There is more in Safe & Secure than roadside assistance. Roadside Assistance appears to be available for all new VW cars.

VW 24-Hour Roadside Assistance | Genuine VW Service and Parts

Safe & Secure on the other hand provides:

Rectangle Font Magenta Screenshot Circle

I'm not sure why VW includes Emergency Assistance in that list if it's available on all new cars, but maybe for some cars available and paid for are 2 different things. The website also sort of implies that for the free one you have to call their 1-800 number vs using the SOS button in the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts