Volkswagen ID Forum banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
80 Posts
I've been happy with Herman Cook. No dealer markup when I took delivery in December. The only issue that I have with my ID.4 is that the comms module that handles the cell connection needs to be replaced. It's been on order for about a month. They have gotten a shipping notice, so it should be here soon. During this process the service manager, Eric, has been very helpful. He's reached out to me regularly, giving status updates, etc.
Can I ask what was wrong with your cell connection? I recently picked one up and have a recurring issue with CarPlay where I can here the person on the other end but they can’t hear me. It works maybe 1/2 of the time and if I shut it down for a while and turn it back on it will often work then but it’s kind of annoying when it doesn’t work.

ok I’m reading further it sounded like the actual cell connection. Never mind :)

·
80 Posts
I got my FE from Herman Cook and the deal was exactly as expected, and the finance room was really fast, as I had my loan in place in advance, and he didn't try to up-sell me anything. Service experience so far has been excellent.

I happened to drive by Bob Baker VW in Carlsbad today -and it's no longer there. I hated them, so I'm curious -Did they lose the franchise because they were so awful? Did they go out of business? Or did they just split off from Subaru and move to a new location?
They are on the road behind the main row of auto dealers. Why are they terrible?

·
Glacier White AWD Pro S Gradient
197 Posts
Can I ask what was wrong with your cell connection? I recently picked one up and have a recurring issue with CarPlay where I can here the person on the other end but they can’t hear me. It works maybe 1/2 of the time and if I shut it down for a while and turn it back on it will often work then but it’s kind of annoying when it doesn’t work.

ok I’m reading further it sounded like the actual cell connection. Never mind :)
Yes, it was the communication module that connected car to the internet, car-net, etc. I don't recall the specific error at the moment, but it was related to the car's e-sim.

·
148 Posts
They are on the road behind the main row of auto dealers. Why are they terrible?
I got my eGolf from them in 2015. No one at the dealership knew anything about the car, which made setting things up complicated. They totally were unable to set up the CarNet system. When I went to drive it off the lot I discovered the AC was broken, and they said they'd have to keep it over the weekend to fix it -so I left the lot with a loaner that had a cracked windshield, a missing side mirror, and stank of cigarette smoke. And it ran out of gas about five miles down the road! Then they said they couldn't fix the AC on my car and wanted me to just take it as-is. I refused to take delivery -insisting they replace the defective vehicle. They found one and had it sent over, and then I had to go through the whole paperwork nightmare again as if I hadn't just done it all. Turns out, they didn't know what they were doing: I was billed by VW Credit for buying TWO cars, and no one could tell me which one was my actual purchase, so I had to pay the double billing for three months or risk the credit ding for a repo. Then I found out they never filed the release on my trade-in car, so I got dinged for an unpaid traffic ticket that the new owner got, and had to pay extra car insurance.

Later, on the way home from my first long trip I was running on empty and pulled in to the dealership to use the charger -only to find they had permanently removed it because they didn't like people parking there and charging (?) -and they refused to let me use the one in back for a few minutes so I could get home. Instead, the general manager sent me a couple of miles away to use a public charger that was incompatible with my car. He didn't know there were different kinds of plugs... I would have had to get the car towed home if it hadn't been for a friendly person who lived nearby and let me use his home charger.

I could go on and on... They knew nothing about the car they sold me, and were totally hostile to EVs. Several times I heard the service manager trashing my car and saying what a pain it was to have to deal with the new technology. After they failed to fix a problem with the car's navigation system, I gave up and started driving a little farther to Herman Cook in Encinitas. Been a happy camper ever since.

·
13 Posts
We bought our id.4 from Kearny Mesa Volkswagen in July. They were fantastic to deal with on the purchase, but I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on their service department? We've had to take the id.4 in a few times for the 60 day checkup, and there was an issue the side view mirror and the floor mat anchors.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by my experiences at other dealers, but I've found their service department mediocre at best. They do not seem proactive at all - I've had to reach out to them for updates on the car when it's been in for service, rather than them updating me for an ETA or to tell me when the service has been completed. Is this just an aberration?

·
63 Posts
5 days dock to dealer, picking it up tomorrow. Does anyone know any chargers around Anza Borrego besides El Centro? I think I could charge at the campsites in Agua Caliente, but I'm not positive. I would hate to have to drive 60 miles out to get a charge.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,344 Posts
Congrats on the new car, you will love it!
Plugshare reports public L2 chargers in Borrego Springs at the library and the welcome center. I would call ahead to Agua Caliente and inquire about plug type at the campsites so that you can bring the right equipment.

·
197 Posts
Switched out the hitch for a 2" one, and got the bike on it. Good clearance in the crazy runoff dips in the neighborhood. Looking forward to using it. Silver AWD Pro. I liked some of the extras in the S version, but hated the glass roof.
Nice, I swapped out for the 2" hitch, too. Does it drive the back up sensors crazy?

·
63 Posts
Yes, the sensors were not happy with the rack on. I was surprised how easy the swap was.
Had the car lurch to a stop today while in reverse with 2 bikes on the rack. Thought we had hit something. Didn't notice any specific warnings or messages, though there was someone walking nearby. Backed up the rest of the way without incident. The proximity alarm encourages me to remove the rack when not in use, glad I went with the One Up single tray since it was light. Saw a blue one going in the other direction on the way down to the bay, they waved.

·
63 Posts
Had a very nice trip out to ABDSP. Was able to plug in to a 120 V outlet to top up, which was very slow, pulling 5 miles per hour using my old Leaf EVSE which has a dual voltage adapter. Didn't have the right plug for the 30 amp outlet, that has been ordered. With the cold weather, getting to 90% from 60% took 18 hours, with a short drive in the middle. It charged fine through the rainy evening. Return trip, following a semi doing 60 up the mountain with acc engaged used about 50% of capacity, 90 to 44, with a side trip up a canyon.
Tire Car Vehicle Sky Plant

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,344 Posts
Didn't have the right plug for the 30 amp outlet, that has been ordered.
Out of curiosity, what is the right plug, and at what campground? I want to crosscheck against what I own since we will go out to the desert too.

·
63 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the right plug, and at what campground? I want to crosscheck against what I own since we will go out to the desert too.
I was out at Agua Caliente, the cabins there are great, but only have 120 V outlet on the porch. The campsites with partial hookups use a TT-30 plug, lots of RV supply places have adapters. This is the one I ordered from a place in Vista ( Adapter D - TT-30 plug to NEMA L6-20 receptacle ). It is right down the road from where my son works, and I've been wondering if our Leaf could do the round trip, so I will drive up Monday to pick it up. I just happen to have an EVSE that had an L6-20 plug retrofitted. Wild flowers were a bit of a bust, some were just sprouting, and I saw A poppy.

·
197 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the EV-TOU5 rate from SDG&E works. It's my understanding that there is a monthly charge of $16 on this plan. Is that on top of any usage? Or is it a minimum bill? I'm currently on DR-SES (I have a solar system that generates over 2MWh excess each year) and I'm trying to figure out if the EV-TOU5 plan would work better for me.

201 - 220 of 228 Posts