Volkswagen ID Forum banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,344 Posts
It is an extra charge on top of everything else. In exchange, you get a super low night rate, and if you charge enough at home at night you will come out ahead compared to someone on another TOU plan. Their benefit is that you will likely charge less during peak hours and strain the grid less. A friend in a condo without solar is on that plan and happy with the results.

I have solar with about the same extra capacity as you do, I planned that in because I knew we'd go all-electric. I decided EV-TOU5 is not worth it for me, provided I could switch at all (never asked them).

What I do now is: Start charging around 5:30am to catch a bit of super off-peak rate, and then continue into off-peak at 6 am to completely offset my off-peak export. It is important to note that net metering under NEM 2.0 and DR-SES is per rate tier/slot. So my overall aim to be net zero in the off-peak 6am to 4pm slot, very low in the on-peak slot from 4pm to 10pm, and quite low in the super off-peak slot from midnight to 6am.
Still watching and playing with parameters.

·
Glacier White AWD Pro S Gradient
197 Posts
Thanks, once you switch plans you have to stay on the new plan for one year before you can switch again. You really want to make sure it's the right plan before you switch.

I'm also on DR-SES and have been for some time. Like you I over-sized my system in anticipation of going full electric on at least one car. For now I am charging from midnight to 6 to capture super-off peak rates. I expect that I will have a positive net balance at my true-up, so I'm not trying to so anything special. If you ask my wife she'll say that I have a spreadsheet for everything. In this case she's right. I'm definitely watching it closely.

In the future we may move to a condo without solar, so I would probably look closely at the EV TOU plans then,

·
80 Posts
Kind of a random question but in California does anybody know if the value of the vehicle you are trading lowers the tax basis of the vehicle you are buying? IOW if you are buying a $50k car and get $20k for your trade-in (from the dealer you are buying the car from) do you pay tax on $30k or $50k? I know some states charge tax on the net of $30k and others the $50k but am not sure about California.

·
13 Posts
Kind of a random question but in California does anybody know if the value of the vehicle you are trading lowers the tax basis of the vehicle you are buying? IOW if you are buying a $50k car and get $20k for your trade-in (from the dealer you are buying the car from) do you pay tax on $30k or $50k? I know some states charge tax on the net of $30k and others the $50k but am not sure about California.
I am not 100% certain, but in my past experience the trade-in was considered a cash equivalent toward the purchase of the car, and tax was computed against the full sales price of the vehicle.

221 - 228 of 228 Posts