Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading about the ID.4 warranty on the VW website and found the following sentence, which follows the general description of the 8- and 4-year warranties, interesting:

"Plus, you’ll get two years/20,000 miles of Scheduled Carefree Maintenance5, and with three years/36,000 miles of Roadside Assistance6, your out-of-charge vehicle can be towed to the nearest Electrify America station free of charge."

I was glad to learn there's a solution if you run out of charge, but what does the free maintenance cover exactly? The fine print clarifies that it doesn't cover tire rotations, so that's out. Obviously no oil changes, either. And I wouldn't think you'd be due for coolant or brake fluid changes before 20,000 miles, but I could be wrong. I haven't found the maintenance schedule online yet. Does anyone know what maintenance is required for the ID.4 in the first 20,000 miles/2 years? Maybe a cabin air filter? Just struck me as kind of funny that they'd be highlighted the free maintenance for this vehicle. Two years of free maintenance on an ICE VW would cover two oil changes per the manual, and not much else. On an EV, I have no idea what it would cover.

·
61 Posts
So, no free lifetime oil changes?

Here is the maintenance key points for the e-Golf, assuming the ID.4 will be similar.

Volkswagen e-Golf Maintenance:
  • 10,000 Miles: At 10,000 miles, you’ll have some minor, but important, services that you’ll need to have performed on your vehicle. This includes a thorough inspection of your e-Golf’s brake pads and discs to see their condition, and address any signs of premature wear. Your battery should also be inspected at this visit.
  • 20,000 Miles: While the previously listed services can be performed during this interval, there’s also a wide variety of services you’ll want performed. This includes checking the brake fluid, the coolant level, and the eMotor and its components for any leaks or damages. There will also need to be a pretty meticulous inspection of your vehicle’s high-voltage charging components including the connections, as well as the exterior features like the headlights, turn signals, brake lights, and the hazard lights.
  • 40,000 Miles: All the services performed during this interval fall under the category of extended maintenance. During this service, you’ll need to have a visual inspection of your vehicle’s ball joints, wheel bearings, drive axles, coupling rods, tie rod ends, and stabilizer bar rubber bushings. The VW e-Golf body will also be inspected for any signs of corrosion while the braking system is checked for leaks or damages. You’ll also need to have your dust and pollen filter replaced during the 40,000 mile visit.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess a free inspection or two is better than nothing. Hopefully I’d notice if my headlights stopped working, but I guess it never hurts to check.

·
100 Posts
With my ICE VW I got free oil changes for that period. Probably a free preventative maintenance check for EV?

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
105 Posts
Although this electric will have far less powertrain maintenance than an internal combustion engine be reminded that the running gear (suspension, brakes, wheels) will still require the typical lubrication/alignment, brake fluid flush (every two years regardless of mileage) & pads as required, tire rotation, 12V battery check, etc.
Tire rotation, alignment and proper pressure maintenance is even more important for an EV to promote ideal roll characteristics. Well, perhaps not more important than with an ICE, but something we're more likely to consider. Of course when high speed DC charging stations are more commonplace we too are likely to be more care-less. ;)
Yes, I would think the 'free' maintenance will mostly be just a series of PM system checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts