Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Scheduled Charging youtube

10K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  ExCivilian 
#1 ·
Found this youtube that does more to explain the scheduled charging than I'd seen. Maybe you'll find it helpful.

#2 ·
So this time, I'm assuming that IF the scheduled charge didn't work before (and it didn't), the fault was mine. Having watched this, I'm pretty sure the START to the charge is controlled NOT by the start time set in the schedule, but by the end time and the variable of time needed to charge the battery from the SOC at the start to the target SOC. Because I have about 170 miles left this puts me above my "Immediate Charge if below..." (which I set to 20% as suggested in the video). My guess is that if 250 is normally 80% of 312, then 170 is 54% of the same. I've allowed a START time for the charge window to be 10:15pm and the end time to be 2:00am. Most of my charges at home were over in less than 4 hours, so this should be plenty. I'd use a bigger window if I had more confidence in the system, but with its "known" incorrigibility, the small window should get this thing started quickly.

I've also followed with clicking Departure time of 8:30am (I try to go on the commute AFTER the rush since COVID forced me to drive the whole distance - rather than ride the train), and cabin temp to 74 degrees. This tests everything that the video shows. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I'm fine with heading over to Sam's Club and the Electrify America DC Fast Charger there. If I have to do that, then this scheduling thing really isn't working, and it is NOT user error as I'm trying to assume, but instead it's the whole Infotainment software.

Tomorrow a.m., I'll post the results.

#5 ·
I'm pretty sure the START to the charge is controlled NOT by the start time set in the schedule, but by the end time and the variable of time needed to charge the battery from the SOC at the start to the target SOC.
This is how it's supposed to work (and as you found--doesn't) and one of the reasons it's important to all drivers rather than just TOU customers.

I'm less optimistic than others about what is coming down the chute in the future given my conversations with upper support management and their candid responses that there is no Tiger Team after all, support is now being routed through standard channels (rather than a dedicated channel to ensure a smooth ID4 rollout), and they just don't have a good track record of updating their software post-release.

But I'd like to be wrong on my conclusions because it's an awesome car otherwise. As you pointed out, though, in an EV the electronics are a significant piece of the puzzle.

#3 ·
AND.... the results are in: Last night's scheduled charge took the car from 170mile up to 193 miles of prospective range. All in 4 hours. I was SOOoooooooooo happy I tipped the mice working the treadmill generator a piece of cheese.

Seriously.

How pathetic is that? Wait for it.... no.... not yet... wait for it..... yes, it's so pathetic, Car-net quit working in protest. I kid you not. This is the SAME Car-net that quit working last week and had to be restarted with a call to.... none other than Car-net. At Car-net, I'm thinking Jimmy Carter was re-elected last November after an extremely close vote. Yes, they are THAT far out of touch.... which is odd for software on the one hand, but particularly odd for software whose whole premise is enhancing the user experience. I guess VW has a definition of the user that doesn't include me - yet?

So I got in the car, deleted the location and tried to restart charging. This wasn't as easy as it should have been. Fact is it kept showing that delayed charging was in progress. Kept right on deleting it a few times, and FINALLY got recharging restarted with the on-demand charging. We should be done soon. Last I checked, we were up to 71% capacity at 231 miles in 1 hour of charging.

So much for the saga of user error. I think this defines that you can get it to start a deferred (or scheduled) charge, but you can't get it to run at the same pace. Seriously.... 4 hours to add 20 miles of range? That's a pace to require 11 hours or so to charge a more typical 70% "refill". This is a complete and utter failure.

I'm not VW, but if I were, I'd be embarrassed. Completely embarrassed to have such a poor performance. I'd crush that 3 month update and apologetically rush out a fix for this immediately. This is just completely unacceptable. Better to not offer scheduled charging at all in the meantime than to offer a feature that not only fails, but 1) runs at a laughing pace if at all, 2) doesn't warn that you should "not attempt this at home" unless you have a DC FastCharger nearby in case it fails.... which it does LOL! (VW Engineering Dept.... my bad)" and 3) disables the software connection to the car ("Bonus points! VW Engineering Dept. ....again. Don't you love us?"). Yep, that VW Engineering Dept is a fun loving bunch of guys! ("Serves you right.... you stupid Americans!" - VW Engineering"). Give it up guys.

What this means is that VW has a pretty decent car....I like it and it is both a head turner (for many) and it drives well (by my practical standards) but as an EV car where software plays a significant role in making things easy that might otherwise be hidden deep in the toolkit, they've clearly rushed out with their car before it was "done". VW? You can do better. Pick up your game. First step should be to fix the broken pieces of your software IMMEDIATELY, and THEN upgrade them. Step one shouldn't wait for Step Two which is clearly a move to tighter, more finished code - fully debugged. The latter takes a clearer idea of what you're trying to accomplish and NOT a one-size serves two completely different ways of thinking. You can keep your crazy back window buttons and childproof locks on the driver's door... that was an idea almost as bad as some of your Infotainment fails that we'll somehow just have to live with.... but you can make amends by fixing these small things.

End of rant.

#6 ·
Good points. Took a look at Ars Technica and they've got an article about VW (back in 2019) focusing a separate group for car software. Expectations are high for 2025. In the meantime.... I find Ford's, Volvo's and Polestar's decisions to use Google's Android Auto system might offer a better route for VW as well:

Ford is switching to Android OS for infotainment in 2023

This stuff is probably a lot harder than VW thought. Clearly.

#7 ·
Good points. Took a look at Ars Technica and they've got an article about VW (back in 2019) focusing a separate group for car software. Expectations are high for 2025. In the meantime.... I find Ford's, Volvo's and Polestar's decisions to use Google's Android Auto system might offer a better route for VW as well:

Ford is switching to Android OS for infotainment in 2023

This stuff is probably a lot harder than VW thought. Clearly.
Hopefully VW will fix the scheduled charging problem and other major bugs by 2025. They won't have much business if they do not.

#9 ·
This is a response posted yesterday by an ID.4 owner on the Facebook group:

This is officially VW’s position on the scheduled charging fault:​
Reference # 0473xxxx​
Dear Mr. xxxxxx,​
At this time, there is no information on when the fix will be available other than, it will not be something that will be available in the next couple of weeks or maybe even months. I am sorry you were originally advised that your charger was the issue when clearly that is not the case. I will continue to monitor this situation for updates and will touch base with you again no later than the close of business on June 11, 2021 with any updates we may have at that time. I am sorry, I wish I had better information to provide to you on this situation.​
Sincerely,​
Keith B.
Region Case Manager​

#10 ·
Cross your fingers that First Edition owners get an update to this at all. I've mentioned before, the first edition eGolfs were never updated to address their (similar) charging issues.

I was going to point out some options for owners but I realize now that there's no explicit marketing for this feature. If they leave it in, owners might be able to force action via multiple dealership visits for a non-functional feature. However, to give you an idea of the entity we're dealing with here, a Euro ID.3 owner was unable to get Android Auto to link and after his second visit they updated his firmware to remove the capability altogether (and then claimed they didn't sell the car with Android Auto as an explicit feature so he is SOL).

So while the newcomers to the VW family are excited about OTAs must remember it also gives VW the ability to simply remove problematic functions that they don't or can't resolve.

#11 ·
"So while the newcomers to the VW family are excited about OTAs must remember it also gives VW the ability to simply remove problematic functions that they don't or can't resolve."

Understood. Also have seen the Tesla's updates tend to reduce range in the same way that Apple iOS updates add memory requirements on old phones that eventually make them unworkable. "Buy a new phone!"

Maybe the new ownership model is lease (my approach this time) and kick it back to the factory so it can recycle the parts... rather than fix them. VW will be in trouble if the OTA doesn't become a serious advantage rather than a faux marketing department fiction with nothing behind it.

#12 ·
My 2017 iMac ran just fine until the latest iterations of MacOS Big Sur (now slow to boot, despite the solid state Fusion drive portion that is supposed to speed same). But then 4 years in computers is like dog years!! And our vehicles are ever closer to being computers first.

It does appear that VW removed/greyed out some problematic charging options at my 60-day service. But then I did pre-provide them my Festivus airing of grievances. "Ok smarty pants, we'll just delete it." 😆
"So while the newcomers to the VW family are excited about OTAs must remember it also gives VW the ability to simply remove problematic functions that they don't or can't resolve."

Understood. Also have seen the Tesla's updates tend to reduce range in the same way that Apple iOS updates add memory requirements on old phones that eventually make them unworkable. "Buy a new phone!"

Maybe the new ownership model is lease (my approach this time) and kick it back to the factory so it can recycle the parts... rather than fix them. VW will be in trouble if the OTA doesn't become a serious advantage rather than a faux marketing department fiction with nothing behind it.

#13 ·
It is definitely malpractice that scheduled charging from the vehicle OS does not work properly. This needs to be made right by VW via OTA as soon as possible.

In the meantime, is there any reason why my Chargepoint HomeFlex hooked up at 40 amps can not handle the scheduled charging? I've seen mention on this forum about some kind of issues with the car not being able to condition its battery correctly, but I have not been able to find reports of this elsewhere. The car seems to do just fine on a trickle charge or using fast charging. Why would it be different for a Level 2 home charger? Ideally, I will be switching to a TOU billing schedule shortly so scheduled charging will be of significant relevance to me. I think I just don't understand the dynamics that are in play when charging the car on a schedule, so if someone with more knowledge can explain to me...that would be great.

#14 ·
Well, not dynamics per se. Your Home Flex will do fine with scheduled charging.

The complaint is if the car isn't controlling the charging, isn't aware of a departure time, then it can't heat the battery for optimum efficiency. The Home Flex can't do that; the car needs to be involved.

This isn't a huge deal in moderate climates, but can decrease the car's range and performance when it's cold.

#15 ·
Well, not dynamics per se. Your Home Flex will do fine with scheduled charging.

The complaint is if the car isn't controlling the charging, isn't aware of a departure time, then it can't heat the battery for optimum efficiency. The Home Flex can't do that; the car needs to be involved.
I'm sorry but I think I am still not understanding well enough. Is the departure time needed for optimal battery heating so that the car drives more efficiently from the start? Or are you saying the battery is not heating properly during charging, which harms the battery? Currently, is my car not involved with battery heating when I use my Level 1 charger without a departure time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.