Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t want a roof rack but I really don’t have any good options. Until a crossmember to carry a hitch becomes available I’m kinda stuck for carrying my mountain bike. Since I’m looking for a temp solution I don’t want to spend a lot of money for a roof rack and a bike rack mounted to it. After taking the front wheel off and throwing my dusty bike in the trunk leaving tire marks on the seat backs and door panels a couple times, I folded and bought the Sea Sucker Talon for around $340 with tax and extras. To fit a mountain bike you need plastic spacer that match your fork and a plastic ladder strap to fit around the rear wheel.
I first tried mounting to the back of the roof glass with the rear suction cup on the back sill over the rear window but when I rocked the bike I could see the moonroof flex with it. I don’t know if that is dangerous for the glass bit I would never be comfortable with it. I moved it to the very front part just over the windshield and that was a lot more stable. I even took it for a test ride and it performed great.

Still being concerned about the glass I started searching. The manufacturer and a lot of car owners swear they have no problems mounting to panoramic roofs until you get to the Tesla 3. It seems the force of the suction cup is enough to crack the glass. Well now I can’t take a chance to use my car to test whether the roof glass is strong enough.
I moved to the rear of the car and fiddled until I made it fit. I needed to dremel a notch in the deck for brake clearance so I can’t get a refund but it will work for local driving. Longer trips it would kill mileage and I don’t think I’d ever get comfortable with it so I have a plan B mounting option for the trunk.

The rear is a bit of a tight spot with the bend and the chain ring guard is close to the trunk but as long as I don’t hit big bumps I should be fine. It also shows up on my backup camera so my fear of smashing into the garage should be avoided.

I can’t really recommend the rack unless you are brave enough to mount on glass. I know a lot of people are but I’m not that brave.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
704 Posts
Looks cool, and you're still brave with those clearances.
I trust my strapped on Hollywood F1B a lot more. but you don't have a decent bottom anchor point for straps. Hollywood F1B bike rack fits well

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
I use Sea Sucker Monkey Bars on my other car and mount two of the four front suction cups to the glass, which is a conventional opening sunroof. No problems yet.

I use them grudgingly out of necessity because there are no hard-mounted roof option for me, but it's been great with three bikes, pipes, lumber, drywall, a roll of carpet, etc.

Based on my experience so far, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on the ID.4, but I'd make sure the feet are somewhat close to all four corners.

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won’t use straps on my carbon frames. I prefer tire clamps and straps but a fork mount is solid just a pain to pull the wheel and replace. I’m considering pulling the crossmember and having it modified to have a hitch. I don’t need it for towing, just my Kuat Transfer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts