Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random question but has anyone suffered with back/shoulder blade pain since owning the id4? I don’t know if it’s just me but I feel like the steering wheel isn’t centred to the drivers seat which has cause a lot of discomfort for me.

·
63 Posts
I picked up some left ankle pain, some sort of tendonitis. Can't say it's the car, but it does sort of feel like it is. I have finally found a neutral position for my foot that seems ok.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
I have some cartilage loss in my neck and thereby some temp/humidity-induced pain especially with a sudden atmospheric pressure swing. The ID.4 has not exacerbated same for me, so my 'barometer.'

The implementation of left "foot rests" in many vehicles can be more trouble than they're worth given the fixed angle. But generally through seat fore-aft positioning a comfortable position may still be achieved.

Coming from a much more rigid sports coupe the ID.4 is a comfort blessing to me. But my prior-prior Audi allroad is the most comfortable riding vehicle I've ever owned.
I picked up some left ankle pain, some sort of tendonitis. Can't say it's the car, but it does sort of feel like it is. I have finally found a neutral position for my foot that seems ok.
Seriously?
I have shoulder and neck pain. I am sure it is the car.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
465 Posts
sciatica down my left leg after an hour of driving. I've got millions of miles in cars over the last 35 years & this is the 1st car that is a pain in my ass to drive after an hour. Have experienced this only in this car. A mild alleviation is to keep the seat heat on at the lowest setting & keep the seat massage running constant for the rest of the trip.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Just shows that seating can often be as subjective as most any other vehicle appointment. VW, as all, design for a particular human ergonomics range and although it accommodates many, not all.

btw: My A5 driver's seat had an issue that was later determined to be an improper vendor installation of a lower seat cushion wire frame support. I initially thought I was just being "the Princess and the pea" but did turn out to be a flaw. So anything can happen in a specific vehicle as well.

Related:
A5 - passenger side water intrusion (improperly installed drain tube); driver's seat frame flaw
allroad - electric power steering column replaced
TTS - seat backshell delamination (both)
ID.4 - no issues save for the relatively inconsequential recalls to date and a few gremlins

My wife's prior Caddy ATS, although also just relatively inconsequential recalls, had a myriad of them. So "luxury" marque, VWAG or GM or ..., doesn't necessarily equate to no issues.
sciatica down my left leg after an hour of driving. I've got millions of miles in cars over the last 35 years & this is the 1st car that is a pain in my ass to drive after an hour. Have experienced this only in this car. A mild alleviation is to keep the seat heat on at the lowest setting & keep the seat massage running constant for the rest of the trip.
I had sciatica in the Ionique 5, dreadful seats. My ID4 with the electric seats is perfect for me. The manual seats were a bit "loose" and unsupportive.

·
Moonstone Gray Pro S
133 Posts
If you think the ID.4 has uncomfortable seats, try driving the Chevy Bolt EV!

I like that I have almost infinite position choices with the ID.4, not that I'm constantly changing the settings. That's something I did at first but now even long drives are comfortable, to a point. I still need to get out and walk around every so often because sitting for long periods cause my legs to ache. (in my 70's)

·
116 Posts
No issues for me on long trips. The only car that ever hurt my back was my 2016 Tesla Model S. I had that car for about 15 months and I could not drive it more than 10 minutes without getting searing back pain. I took several long trips in that car and it was miserable. Never figured it out. Never had issues in any other car, including ID.4. ID.4 seats are so comfortable on long trips!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Alas we Americans do tend to whine more these days. The Greatest Generation never did!!

Thanks for hosting NATO btw. Gave me a number of opportunities to visit your beautiful country. (y)
I thought we were safe in Europe with NATO and back-up support from the Americans, but when I read the health complaints here I'm not so sure anymore. 🤣

·
80 Posts
Coming from a Bolt I can say the seats in the ID4 are WAY better! I did notice my shoulders/upper arms and even lower back were a bit sore driving home from the dealer when I picked it up but spent some time adjusting the seats to find what worked best and now it’s great. Powered seats with memory function help a lot as I’m not the only one to drive it!!

·
Blue ProS RWD is in my garage! Only took 187 days.
673 Posts
I, like @wlahome & @EV-Driver , came from the Bolt, and I would have to say any seat pain here is NOTHING compared to the Bolt. With all the controls to adjust, the massaging function, and the seat memory buttons(!), I just would assign it to "try another position". Move the front of the seat up or down, change the angle of the wheel, but keep on trying the adjustments. These seats are on the "above average" side of comfort. They're not perfect, but you should be able to find an adjustment you can live with. Then save it!

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
575 Posts
Don’t forget there’s a lot of adjustability in the steering wheel, which might affect optimal seat positioning for you.

Don’t sit on your wallet on long trips.

That’s all I got. I’m extremely satisfied with the driver seat.

Edit: Couple other thoughts

Set the headrest to get best head and neck comfort. I like mine all the way down so it’s not tilting my head forward.

Make sure the seatbelt shoulder height adjustment on the B pillar is optimal for you. Too high or low could be causing you to slightly compensate by how you sit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts