Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I locked my ProS Plus yesterday and am looking at one of the regular drives I will be doing. It is 167 miles round trip with a 6000' elevation change. Down on the way there and up all the way home. According to ABRP I should start at 100%, be at 61% at the destination, and then down to 7% when I arrive back home. There are NO chargers along the route to add anything along the way.

Is it realistic to do this with any frequency? Once winter hits and I need heat and lose power am I going to be stuck on the side of the road? Its frustrating that the ID.4 can't comfortably do a 167 mile round trip but I guess gravity sucks in this case.

Or am I overthinking things?

·
2,788 Posts
What you will loose for gaining elevation, you will replenish half of this going back and loosing on elevation. 65 MPH is the best for efficiency or less in winter conditions.
How you will live in winter conditions it is hard to predict. You will have to rent ID.4 for a week in winter conditions and try it.
I'm quite positive you can make it all year long, considering you can drive 65 MPH or less if you are experiencing big hit on efficiency.
Can you post ABRP calculations including A to B and back to A in one trip and if you can give me state and roads you will be traveling over. I can pull some data from other ID4 that have been traveling over this parts of roads.

·
2,788 Posts
Inverter type like Honda generator are good substitute 2-3 hours before taking off to precondition battery pack and replenish some juice in winter conditions and no place to connect to 120V single phase. Traveling this much everyday owning ice vehicles is not something you wanna have.
You can buy good used commercial type Honda Inverter technology generators for cheap. It may cost you little extra money for fuel and extra work. But you should see what fits your lifestyle.
I do carry generator on my mule vehicles besides all equipment i use when visiting dealership's all over the country.
Access to 120V single phase outlet would be best at point B when you get there when you Traveling in winter conditions, but there is always substitute like what I mentioned above.

·
2,788 Posts
Here's a link to the route. ABRP

I live in Flagstaff AZ and will be traveling on I17 to Mayer AZ and back. The speed limit is 75 most of the trip and I'm not one to hold up traffic by going 65.
I don't understand holding or slowing traffic on I17 interstate but I'm not here to judge anyone.
There are no EV yet that will deliver EPA numbers easily doing 75 MPH.
With this speed you will not be able to regen any extra energy going down from Flagstaff towards Phoenix. And you will definitely burn a lot of energy going back from Mayer, AZ.
If going by posted speed limits i would advise you to rent ID.4 for a week possibly in the winter times and try to see if it fits your route.
None of the data i have on hand gives me information doing 75 MPH minimum both ways.
You would be probably better with Tesla S long range for your situation and lifestyle.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,640 Posts
Speed limiting your trip to 65 (you have 81 set) raises your arrival SOC from 7% to 17%.

Changing your reference consumption from 3.1 to 3.5 increases it to 25%. You'll find some of us here have landed on even better consumption figures (3.8 for me).

·
2,788 Posts
Speed limiting your trip to 65 (you have 81 set) raises your arrival SOC from 7% to 17%.

Changing your reference consumption from 3.1 to 3.5 increases it to 25%. You'll find some of us here have landed on even better consumption figures (3.8 for me).

ABRP is usually confusing with someone who is not familiar with advanced menu or they use basic settings for calculations. But once you learn to set up right and you use BLE Bluetooth dongle connected to ABRP it not only helps you to see on demand true efficiency but it helps ABRP algorithm to be more accurate.

·
2,788 Posts
Next month I will be going over gravel roads 600+ miles and i will keep reporting on ABRP with dongle. It will be in Spain going to my little house in the middle of nowhere. Only way to juice up my EV will be Honda generator.
There is always solution to the problem no matter how rare is finding any charging location .
Finally got my BMW IX M60 delivered to my house in Germany. It deserves to be tested for first 600 miles off road non stop. Let's see how good it really is.

·
Volkswagen ID.4 Pro RWD
15 Posts
I locked my ProS Plus yesterday and am looking at one of the regular drives I will be doing. It is 167 miles round trip with a 6000' elevation change. Down on the way there and up all the way home. According to ABRP I should start at 100%, be at 61% at the destination, and then down to 7% when I arrive back home. There are NO chargers along the route to add anything along the way.

Is it realistic to do this with any frequency? Once winter hits and I need heat and lose power am I going to be stuck on the side of the road? Its frustrating that the ID.4 can't comfortably do a 167 mile round trip but I guess gravity sucks in this case.

No you aren't overthinking it, however in the winter I recommend you find a place to charge at your destination even if it's a level 1. The issue here is the elevation change not the actual mileage, there is a Tesla super charger near your destination so hope you get lucky and they allow non tesla EVs to charge soon as early as Jan 2023 as that would resolve your dilemma comfortably however until then if you can find a Level 2 charger in plugshare. Kind of like this one: El Centro Latino | PlugShare but closer to your destination you can get by in the winter just fine. I would recommend boosting the battery percentage closer to 20% in the winter as a buffer for any traffic, road closure, detours etc as part of your trip.

·
562 Posts

Something to consider is how wintery it will actually be. If temps are 40-50F, that's not as big a deal for range as 0-10F. I'm not familiar with the winter climate in that part of the country. And as you may now, ABRP let's you set temperature too.

·
1,179 Posts
1. the reference usage is heigh. [email protected] is still heigh and more realistic.
2. why the 400KG extra weight? the weight calculations are based on 2 normal persons in the car. I've removed the extra weight.
3. max speed is not really relevant as it will calculate it based on the reference percentage of the allowed speed.
you set that to 100%, but I've set it to 103% and then you are still below the 80MPH max speed set.

A have a pro account and if I adjust these mentioned settings, and current weather there atm, the trip would allow for 16% margin. however, if I set the weather to -5C, and rain, you definitely won't make it without a charge in the middle. unless you'd drop the speed to ~65MPH then you'd make it with around 10% left.

Ideally you'd want a level 2 charger at your work place, so you can charge it back up for the trip home.
No options to install a charger there?

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Something to consider is how wintery it will actually be. If temps are 40-50F, that's not as big a deal for range as 0-10F. I'm not familiar with the winter climate in that part of the country. And as you may now, ABRP let's you set temperature too.
We get 100" of snow/year in Flagstaff so yeah, theres going to be a winter effect. The destination has great weather in winter (see elevation change) but there will be some cold to deal with.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No you aren't overthinking it, however in the winter I recommend you find a place to charge at your destination even if it's a level 1. The issue here is the elevation change not the actual mileage, there is a Tesla super charger near your destination so hope you get lucky and they allow non tesla EVs to charge soon as early as Jan 2023 as that would resolve your dilemma comfortably however until then if you can find a Level 2 charger in plugshare. Kind of like this one: El Centro Latino | PlugShare but closer to your destination you can get by in the winter just fine. I would recommend boosting the battery percentage closer to 20% in the winter as a buffer for any traffic, road closure, detours etc as part of your trip.
I need to remember PlugShare more often. That site in Camp Verde might be what I need to alleviate my fears and top off on the way home when temps drop. Thanks!

·
21 ProS Red - 23 ProS Plus Arctic Blue locked
377 Posts
My advice is, always have a Plan B. Camp Verde is a good one, but you also have a ton of Level 2 chargers available via a detour through Sedona. My ABRP says if I drive your route in my ID.4 under current conditions, I'll go from 100% to 17% SOC. But YMMV, especially in wind, cold and rain, plus some expected battery degradation. Extend your range when needed by driving more slowly. Wear a sweater in cold weather, drop the cabin temperature to 65, and use the heated seats and steering wheel for more efficient heating. Consider investing in a dongle so you can use the integration between ABRP and Apple CarPlay to monitor your SOC and ABRP's dynamic estimate of your SOC on arrival (it's far from perfect, but better than the GOM).

Your longer-term solution is to get your employer to install Level 2 charging. That way, you don't have to consistently charge your ID.4 to 100% to get the range you want. And you don't have to consider extending your commute (even occasionally) with a Level 2 charge on the way home.

·
21 ProS Red - 23 ProS Plus Arctic Blue locked
377 Posts
curious, what is the range on the Pro S Plus? isn't it 250+?
I haven't seen an official range figure for the 2023 Pro S Plus, either from the EPA or VW. In real world range tests at close to ideal conditions at 70 MPH, MY 21 and 22 ID.4s come in with about 230 miles of range. If you compare competing SUVs, the 70 MPH range testing produces remarkably similar numbers. It's not likely that the 23 ID.4 is going to go much further. And, this is under ideal conditions. You're not going to see 230 miles of range in cold, rainy weather at 70 MPH, especially if you end up driving home into a headwind.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts