Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,445 Posts
As long as your expectations aren't too high, I'd say give it a try. If you end up tossing it at some point, you're not out a fortune. It will be interesting to see how warm it gets when you use it with a high power Destination Charger which can supply 48 amps. Report back and let us know please

181 Posts
Not bad. I'm expecting a whole bunch of these copy cat connectors to be released over the year and the price to slowly trend down to 50-60 dollars by the end of it. If it can be copies it will and they'll become super cheap.

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as your expectations aren't too high, I'd say give it a try. If you end up tossing it at some point, you're not out a fortune. It will be interesting to see how warm it gets when you use it with a high power Destination Charger which can supply 48 amps. Report back and let us know please
My level two at home is also 48 amps, so I can test it under more controlled circumstances, and I can also get some IR imagery and see where the hotspots are.

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad. I'm expecting a whole bunch of these copy cat connectors to be released over the year and the price to slowly trend down to 50-60 dollars by the end of it. If it can be copies it will and they'll become super cheap.
When you look at what's involved, I would expect an end-game of 35 or $40. Then again I thought that evse should get down to $60, and they obviously haven't done that yet. So there's a problem with my pricing model. Which is basically UMC times 3.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,445 Posts
I'm not sure you can buy a low power J-1772 handle for $35 or $40, but then I haven't priced one in quite awhile. My genuine Tesla Tap has a Tesla socket machined out of a solid block of Delrin (Polyoxymethyle) which is a very heat stable thermo plastic, so I doubt the price of it will ever come down too much, as it's made in the USA

I think the part that will get warm is where the Tesla handle fits inside the end of the adapter. The 48 amp rating scares me a little - Why 48 and not 45 or 50?

Great that you can test it and share the results. Mine gets slightly warm at the junction after several hours at 45+ amps, so if they've solved the heat problems for $120, more power to them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts