Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Shocking Design Flaw re Door Handles (IGNORE MY POST-PROBLEM SOLVED)

Resolved 
8K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  2928 
#1 ·
I don't know who thought this would be a good idea, but there is NO provision for manually unlocking the doors. I didn't think about this until the driver's side door went wonky from time to time and would not unlock. Took it to the dealer and they did the usual code check and something came up about that latch. It would not open from inside either. Major safety hazard, I'd say. And the only way I can get into the car is the passenger door. Why on earth would you leave something as important as opening your door completely at the mercy of an electronic switch? Now, tomorrow, I will drive to the dealer where they will loan me a car (gas) so they can take the door apart, call VW, and see what part they'll need to send out. Might be days, a week, more (?) before I get the car back. For a door latch...?
Lot's to like about the ID.4. I've got 7,000 miles on ours already. But there are a few problems I'd rather do without. This is one of them.

#10 ·
UPDATE worth noting: I took the ID.4 into the dealer today to drop off and get a loaner. I asked if someone could demonstrate using the manual entry door key that is hidden in the fob. One of the techs was able to pop off the cover and insert the key. At first, it didn't seem to click. He turned the key over and that did produce a satisfying click with the key turning as it should. The only problem was... It didn't open the door. I've been getting in and out of the car via the passenger-side door. So even though I wasn't right in thinking there was no provision for manual override of the door lock, it appears as though the manual override backup system has also failed. Just an FYI for those following this thread.

#12 ·
Sometimes the door will click when pulled and if jiggled a bit will open. Most of the time it's useless. Mostly just an inconvenience getting in and out that way, at 6'3 and 69 years old. :) It brought up all my old love/hate dynamic with VW. Had a beetle, then VW camper vans in the '70s. They were fun, pretty good on gas, and mostly reliable in the basic mechanics. But boy oh boy did all the peripherals fall off; door handles, bits of plastic, incidental wiring stuff, and, of course, those early air-cooled engines were often in need of replacement at 50K because of the #3 piston problem. I was told that was the old VW and they were great cars now. I'm sure they are, but I gotta say this weird problem brought up some of the not-so-good memories. It'll probably be just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.