Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a trest drive, and had fun testing some short cuts, or unlabeled controls of the ID.4 I thought it might be nice to have a place to list out the shortcuts people have found. A few that I was able to verify today:

Double tap the temperature slider to turn on and cycle through the heated seat setting.

Touch and hold the "rear" selector for the windows to control all 4 with one switch, auto up and down!

Push and hold the unlock button on the fob to open all windows.

Turn the wheel all the way and do a doughnut to put a smile on your face (that turn radius is so fun!)

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
410 Posts
Double tap the temperature slider to turn on and cycle through the heated seat setting.
omg that is absolutely amazing, not having direct buttons for the heated seats was one of my biggest gripes about the infotainment. I still wish there were a dedicated heated steering wheel button though.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Oh, yeah. I tried for about 10 mins and got it to turn on once (at level 3) :cry:- there must be a secret location on the slider or delay in the double-tap?? Or, maybe it's like a Sudoku puzzle where you go back to it the next day and it all goes together with not a single misplaced number...:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
289 Posts
omg that is absolutely amazing, not having direct buttons for the heated seats was one of my biggest gripes about the infotainment. I still wish there were a dedicated heated steering wheel button though.
The closest I have found is you can put the heated steering wheel shortcut in the pull down menu. So swipe and tap, not as good as a physical button, also I guess that’s not really easier than pushing the Clima button then the heated steering wheel icon.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Me too on the dedicated/colocated w/seats steering wheel heating control, but the seat heating double-tap shortcut suggestion is much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
Me too on the dedicated/colocated w/seats steering wheel heating control, but the seat heating double-tap shortcut suggestion is much appreciated!
Using voice commands may in fact be the easiest way to turn these on/off. Just yesterday I did "Hello ID", pause to wait for it to recognize and listen, and then said "Turn off seat heaters". And it understood the command and then turned off the seat heaters.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh, I didn't realize it was a double finger tap, but I guess I did that naturally and never had any issues getting the heated seats to react. Good to know though that two fingers is necessary. The only time it didn't work for me is when I did it on the volume slider😀

·
323 Posts
Using voice commands may in fact be the easiest way to turn these on/off. Just yesterday I did "Hello ID", pause to wait for it to recognize and listen, and then said "Turn off seat heaters". And it understood the command and then turned off the seat heaters.
I saw video demonstration from that showed that there is no need to pause for recognition. Just say "Hello ID" and then your command and it does it's thing without pause. Give it a try and let us know if that works.

·
Proud FE owner
994 Posts
I saw video demonstration from that showed that there is no need to pause for recognition. Just say "Hello ID" and then your command and it does it's thing without pause. Give it a try and let us know if that works.
That's been working for me.

Reactions: orey5 and corfam

·
4 Posts
I've created a Google spreadsheet to consolidate the tips and will keep adding...

ID.4 Controls Shortcut List
Thanks for setting this list up! Would you be interested in adding Commands that work for "Hello ID"?
For example, "Hello ID, turn off the radio" or "Hello ID, navigate to home" (Don't know if these work or not). Art

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The "Navigate to" is kind of spotty. I was just playing with mine just to see how good a job it did. I just picked a somewhat faroff destination and said:

"Hello ID: Navigate to Hilton Head". It couldn't understand this. Then:

"Hello ID: Navigate to Hilton Head Island". This it did understand, and it made me choose from points of interest in Hilton Head. Not perfect, but at least it would let me pick something sort of close to a hypothetical destination. And the thing automatically added charging stops along the way - that's good. But it was picking random 7kW chargers along the way and I didn't see a way to indicate a preference for >=50kW DCFC or even >=150kW. But I could select one of the 7kW chargers, and you could look for nearby chargers - that let me substitute an EA station in one of them, so that's sort of a plus. But I looked at others, and sometimes there was nothing suitable nearby that turned up.

But more importantly, even if I could find a DCFC, there didn't seem to be a way to query the online status. Busy? Broken? No way to tell from this thing.

I have also played with ABRP beta and Android Auto - so far I am not finding something that ticks all of the boxes. I will admit that it is a hard problem from a software engineering and user interface design point of view.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
The best I have found for navigation so far is to use Android Auto on the car screen. On the phone, come up with a route plan (and fine tune it) in ABRP, then use "Share with map" to transfer the route plan with AA on the head unit.

It isn't perfect - there are still some shortcomings, but it seems kind of usable until the software improves. If you need to make adjustments, you can do it in ABRP, and then share again.

And there is no real-time info for charger status, so you need to monitor that manually as you go using a different app. For EA chargers the EA app is best for example.

There is an AA ABRP beta, but it still seems like it needs some work. And as I type this, I see they pushed a new version, so maybe it is getting better.

I don't have iPhone - I gather there are different issues there.

·
58 Posts
@TT97 & @theboomr have noted a shortcut in another thread that:

Pressing and holding the voice control button will activate Siri or Google Assistant when using CarPlay or Android Auto, respectively
tap for ID, hold for Siri. I find this very useful as “hey ID” does not work well when the music volume is up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts