Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: Driving to Fairfax from NC. Probably would have been helpful to state where I was coming from.

I was driving up to Fairfax today to spend the remainder of my spouses clinical with her and stopped to charge my battery. I only charge it to 100% for the first leg of the trip and then usually between 80%-90% for the remainder. When I normally hit 80% battery, I have at least 200 miles worth of range. This time when I hit 80% my battery indicated I had roughly 180 miles of range... my car only has 6k miles and I normally only charge it up to 80% unless I am traveling and need the range... should I be concerned with battery degradation already, or am I worrying for no reason? I don't really know since this is my first EV.

It's 70 degrees where I am so temperature shouldn't be an issue.

TIA!

I was driving up to Fairfax today to spend the remainder of my spouses clinical with her and stopped to charge my battery. I only charge it to 100% for the first leg of the trip and then usually between 80%-90% for the remainder. When I normally hit 80% battery, I have at least 200 miles worth of range. This time when I hit 80% my battery indicated I had roughly 180 miles of range... my car only has 6k miles and I normally only charge it up to 80% unless I am traveling and need the range... should I be concerned with battery degradation already, or am I worrying for no reason? I don't really know since this is my first EV.

It's 70 degrees where I am so temperature shouldn't be an issue.

TIA!
Worrying for no reason馃榿 depending on how you drive will change the guess o meter. At least that was how my e-Golf was.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worrying for no reason馃榿 depending on how you drive will change the guess o meter. At least that was how my e-Golf was.
Interesting. If it's a 70 MPH highway I go exactly the speed limit bevause if I don't, my range shoots down.. when under 70, maybe 2 MPH above, but shouldn't it still technically charge up to what the % are? I.e., 80% of 250 would be 200 and 80% of 240 would be 192. When I check mileage vs. Estimated range it usually is right on point, but prior to when I did charge up regardless of what % it would always align relative to 250%.

Hopefully though I am just worrying for no reason. I'll take your word for it to try and not wory and have bouts of the range and battery "anxiety" lol.

VW ID.4 Pro, White
I've noticed that if you turn on A/C the range drops around 10-15% for a while then adjusts again a bit up but always drops at a minimum 10%. Heater will do about the same. I only have 3k on mine so I'm still tracking that.

How much elevation change? On a 3000 mile trip 80% ranged from 215 down to 172 depending on if mountains were involved. Also if there were construction delays.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much elevation change? On a 3000 mile trip 80% ranged from 215 down to 172 depending on if mountains were involved. Also if there were construction delays.
Truthfully it's hard to say. There's not much elevation gain but there are rolling hills. The actual mileage I get if I were to continue all the way to 0 would be equal to the estimated range if nothing changed which is a hypothetical if that makes sense.

My question I guess is less about the range I'm getting and more about what it charges up to and the battery % vs range if that makes sense. Prior to this trip when I charged to 80% I'd be at 200 miles of estimated range and now my 80% charge state is like 182 if that makes sense.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've noticed that if you turn on A/C the range drops around 10-15% for a while then adjusts again a bit up but always drops at a minimum 10%. Heater will do about the same. I only have 3k on mine so I'm still tracking that.
What about when you charge? Let's say you were to charge up to 80% battery, what does your estimated range say? Prior to every time I'd be at 200 or above but now it's been less. It could be that it's finally catching up to estimated vs. Actual, but it's hard to say when I know very little about how it's estimated lol.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though

VW ID.4 Pro, White
What about when you charge? Let's say you were to charge up to 80% battery, what does your estimated range say? Prior to every time I'd be at 200 or above but now it's been less. It could be that it's finally catching up to estimated vs. Actual, but it's hard to say when I know very little about how it's estimated lol.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though
It depends on what kind of driving you did on the last charge, it kind of averages. So for example, I have been driving about 50-50% in city and highway and I get a nice constant 264 mile range at 80%. When I did a road trip, the range was dropping waaay faster than the miles traveled. It was adjusting to that. The next charge at 80% it only showed like 215 miles. But then I came back home and after a couple of sessions with the 50-50 combination, it went back again to 265 miles for 80%. I drive light too. But the point is that the range is constantly adjusting.
And you haven't done a heavy uphill! I went up to a mountain pass with my family and real distance was only 5 miles but like 3000 ft elevation. The range dropped 30 miles! but going back down I recovered most of it.

Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on what kind of driving you did on the last charge, it kind of averages. So for example, I have been driving about 50-50% in city and highway and I get a nice constant 264 mile range at 80%. When I did a road trip, the range was dropping waaay faster than the miles traveled. It was adjusting to that. The next charge at 80% it only showed like 215 miles. But then I came back home and after a couple of sessions with the 50-50 combination, it went back again to 265 miles for 80%. I drive light too. But the point is that the range is constantly adjusting.
And you haven't done a heavy uphill! I went up to a mountain pass with my family and real distance was only 5 miles but like 3000 ft elevation. The range dropped 30 miles! but going back down I recovered most of it.
Ahh that's actually very good to know! I'm not going to be doing much highway driving after this so I will definitely pay attention to it! I knew the mileage was estimated, but just assumed that when charging it, it would reset itself back to the full expected range of 250 or so. I didn't realize that when charging the mileage that you were being given was based on previous driving.

That totally makes sense! On another note, any idea how to monitor and check the health of the battery? I haven't really been able to find much info on battery health other than don't charge it beyond 80% unless you need the range.

I guess in hindsight I should have assumed the way it estimates mileage was very similar to if I was driving a gas car.

Check the top right icon on the Home Screen. Then check the bottom left on the screen that comes up. That will show you home many miles per kWhr you get : at any given moment while driving, the average since you started that day, the average since you charged, and the long term average. I often drive with that screen up.

It would be nice if you could see how much charge is left (kWh) and not just the estimated miles.
This is basically what the % left is showing. If you know the pack is 77kwh, then you know how many kWh you have left. I鈥檓 assuming the id4 can be changed to show % instead of miles. I know I have changed my Tesla to show % instead of miles鈥..the miles was never even close to reality.

Super Moderator
You can see % on the charge screen

You can see % on the charge screen
Are you not able to change the guess o meter from miles to % or will it only show estimated miles? We don鈥檛 have an ID.4 yet, so I鈥檓 purely going off what I can do in our Tesla. I thought the miles was useless and changed to % then pull up my current watts/mile on road trips to see what the car is actually doing with current conditions.

Super Moderator
Are you not able to change the guess o meter from miles to % or will it only show estimated miles? We don鈥檛 have an ID.4 yet, so I鈥檓 purely going off what I can do in our Tesla. I thought the miles was useless and changed to % then pull up my current watts/mile on road trips to see what the car is actually doing with current conditions.
You can see % on the steering wheel gauge cluster only when it gets below 20%. Otherwise, just the GOM.

You can see % on the steering wheel gauge cluster only when it gets below 20%. Otherwise, just the GOM.
Ahhhh. Ok. I鈥檓 sure that can be an easy OTA update in the future to give users the option. But I鈥檓 guessing the miles on the GOM are easier for new EV owners to understand compared to a %.

Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can also see the battery % if you go to the car menu and then on the menu that you limit what to charge the batter percentage to, you can also see how much battery you have left in a %. I usually use that to see where my milage and battery percentage are relative to the estimated range, i.e., if I charged up to 100% and I've driven 62 miles since charging and my battery says 77% remaining, that means I'm getting better mileage than expected with an estimated range of 250 miles (62 miles would be roughly 75% battery starting from 250).

Hopefully that makes sense, I already struggle to articulate certain thoughts, so to me it miles sense, but maybe not to others!

This is actually my biggest complaint. The GOM has too short of a memory to be useful, and I can鈥檛 easily reset it (going from uphill to Downhill or city to highway). I normally prefer to look at my trip efficiency or since charge efficiency. But the battery is in percent, and efficiency in miles/kWh, so I am constantly converting % to kWh with an assumed 77kWh battery to see my range. Really wish I could see remaining kWh.

I have found that when I charge to 80% I lose about 15% pretty quickly. After that is stays pretty true to the miles I drive and also if I am running the A/C, heated seats or have my phone charging. Traffic I do much better then High way. I do see more drops on highway speeds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts