Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we were on our way home from a visit to see our daughter in North Texas. We charged the ID.4 to 100% before we left. After 122 miles we stopped at an Electrify America station on I-35 in Bellmead, TX. Again we charged to 100% (yes, I know about the 80% charge and do except on this trip). When the charge was complete the range and ABRP showed we would arrive home with a 40 mile cushion. About 50 miles or so farther south TXDOT decided to close two of the three southbound lanes for some repair work. We were in a three mile stop and go traffic jam for almost an hour. During this time I was watching the range meter as it slowly increased! Eventually after two different stop and go rush hour jams we arrived home with 71 miles remaining! I was flabbergasted.

·
49 Posts
Regen only improves efficiency vs friction braking. At the same average speed, it's more efficient to never slow down.

In this case the main benefit was lower wind resistance due to lower speed. Any friction braking would reduce this benefit so the regen also helped, to the extent that it helped keep the initial advantage from lower speed.

If you want to get great highway range, drive 55mph.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
957 Posts
What everybody says about speed and EV's is real. Speed eats range. Traveling slowly but a equal will always consume less energy, to a point (there's some overhead needed to power systems and air conditioning).

My i3 is pretty good at dynamic range calculations, but seems at odds with itself when its onboard nav routes me around traffic. EV nav nav should seek out backed-up highways!

·
66 Posts
Yep, last weekend on a 150 mile trip along I-94 in MN I got 3.9mi/kWh (which extrapolates to a 300 mile range). About half of it was at 70mph, the other half slow-and-go due to construction and traffic, bringing the overall average speed down to about 40mph. Level ground and perfect 70F weather helped too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts