Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been struggling with slow charging all through winter, only getting up to between 40-50 kWh. Being told that it’s because of the temperature. Live in Chicago. Now it’s 80°, and I’m getting around 65 kWh (battery is warm, and 50% full). Whereas the Kia right next to me is getting 132 kWh. And I tried 3 different chargers here - same result.
So all this time, I’ve been accusing Electrify America of having issues, but now I’m starting to think that maybe it’s the ID4, or at least my car in particular.
What are other peoples experience with this?

·
769 Posts
Is your experience the same on all EA chargers at multiple locations? Or are you reporting your experience only at one location? EA locations differ and the different types of chargers at different locations can differ in the max power they offer the vehicle even if they’re rated at the same speed.

Btw, the 125kW max rate is only possible up to about 30-35% SoC. Still, according to the charging curve for the ID.4, under optimal conditions you should be getting around 90kW at 50% SoC and not 65-ish. Here’s the curve for optimal conditions:

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

By the way, it’s hard to compare with the Kia. Maybe they were at a point in their charging curve where they’d expect the faster speeds.

Reactions: nigela

·
87 Posts
Nice curves, Manyybees. So on our way back home from Boston on monday we pulled into the Electrify America charging station in West Lebanon, NH, with about 50% charge. This station has three charging towers, all connected to a big light green humming machine. At charger #1 was a blue Mustang, drawing 95 kw. I plugged my red ID.4 in to charger #2, and got 45 kw. Mustang dropped back to 75 kw. Along comes a black ID.4, and plugs into charger #3. Now the green box is really humming along. He gets 40 kw, and Mustang drops to 65 kw. I remain at 45 kw as I go get a cup of coffee. Mustang leaves, and I go up to 50 kw. Methinks the green box limits the capacity somehow, but I am not sure.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your experience the same on all EA chargers at multiple locations? Or are you reporting your experience only at one location? EA locations differ and the different types of chargers at different locations can differ in the max power they offer the vehicle even if they’re rated at the same speed.

Btw, the 125kW max rate is only possible up to about 30-35% SoC. Still, according to the charging curve for the ID.4, under optimal conditions you should be getting around 90kW at 50% SoC and not 65-ish. Here’s the curve for optimal conditions:

View attachment 11652

By the way, it’s hard to compare with the Kia. Maybe they were at a point in their charging curve where they’d expect the faster speeds.

View attachment 11652

Thanks, that’s an interesting curve.
The situation is the same at all charging stations I have been to. Even in different states. And no different whether they are 150 or 350 kWh towers.
I am just surprised that there is not an outcry in the ID4 community if everyone is having the same experience. Leading me to think that maybe there is something wrong with my car / battery.

·
822 Posts
I know that 125Kw is normal for charging a low battery as I have been at that speed dozens of times in cool to pretty warm weather. But I have seen 32-75Kw a number of times due to jacked up EA chargers.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,718 Posts
I have been struggling with slow charging all through winter, only getting up to between 40-50 kWh. Being told that it’s because of the temperature. Live in Chicago. No it’s 80°, and I’m getting around 65 kWh (battery is warm, and 50% full). Whereas the Kia right next to me is getting 132 kWh. And I tried 3 different chargers here - same result.
So all this time, I’ve been accusing Electrify America of having issues, but now I’m starting to think that maybe it’s the ID4, or at least my car in particular.
I am inclined to say that you need to have a dealer look at your car. One of my recent charges started at 12%, and I got 127kW.

That being said, if you are starting out at a much lower SOC (10-20%), do you see the same thing? I have this recollection that if you start charging at a high SOC that you get abnormally low charge rates.

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S Gradient AWD
553 Posts
I haven’t researched it but I just don’t believe all the chargers at a given location can simultaneously deliver their maximum rated charging capacity. Wouldn’t matter if it’s Tesla, EA, or someone else. Then you toss in all the other variables like current SOC, ambient temp, battery temp, etc. Getting the maximum stated charging rate is theoretically possible but the sun moon and stars have to align perfectly.

·
245 Posts
Thanks, that’s an interesting curve.
The situation is the same at all charging stations I have been to. Even in different states. And no different whether they are 150 or 350 kWh towers.
I am just surprised that there is not an outcry in the ID4 community if everyone is having the same experience. Leading me to think that maybe there is something wrong with my car / battery.
This curve is for ID4 but it is characteristic of any EV, all EVs charge fast when battery is empty and start to slow down once battery charges to about 30ish percent. After 80 it's extremely slow and not advisable to use fast charger for any EV. VW advertise 5-80% in 35 mins and with reasonable conditions many people are getting it, check YouTube videos for proof.
Outcry should be for Ioniq5, they advertise 350kw charging rate with 5-80% in 18mins but no one has seen that charging rate, best it can do it in 25-30min with best conditions.

·
28 Posts
I only seen 65kwh around 50% when it was 10 degrees. I just charged to day from 14% to 53%. It never dropped below 90 kWh. Northern VA 70 degrees, and I only drove the car 1/2 a mile after work

·
1,143 Posts
This curve is for ID4 but it is characteristic of any EV, all EVs charge fast when battery is empty and start to slow down once battery charges to about 30ish percent. After 80 it's extremely slow and not advisable to use fast charger for any EV. VW advertise 5-80% in 35 mins and with reasonable conditions many people are getting it, check YouTube videos for proof.
Outcry should be for Ioniq5, they advertise 350kw charging rate with 5-80% in 18mins but no one has seen that charging rate, best it can do it in 25-30min with best conditions.
I Have seen those speeds here in Europe, but it really needs an 800V 300KW charging system
@ID.Furkan has tested the KIA EV6, which is the same base platform as the Ionic5, and he's currently editing the videos for it. Am pretty sure he managed to get the 5% to 80% charge in ~18 minutes too.

·
596 Posts
That being said, if you are starting out at a much lower SOC (10-20%), do you see the same thing? I have this recollection that if you start charging at a high SOC that you get abnormally low charge rates.
This. Make a spirited highway run to an EA to show up with a warm battery and ~20% state-of-charge and report back.

·
13 Posts
I have been struggling with slow charging all through winter, only getting up to between 40-50 kWh. Being told that it’s because of the temperature. Live in Chicago. Now it’s 80°, and I’m getting around 65 kWh (battery is warm, and 50% full). Whereas the Kia right next to me is getting 132 kWh. And I tried 3 different chargers here - same result.
Interestingly I have had the same issue so driving one day I stopped at a electrify America charger got 40 KW it was about 40° that day on the way home I stopped at the same charger it was only about 38° but for 2 miles before I got back to the charger I went from 55 mph to 75 mph and let it regen on the way down as fast as it could up and down. After that exercise battery was less than 20% I plugged in and got 125 kilowatts I believe this is simply a temperature or a conditioning of the battery that's needed to fix this issue.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,760 Posts
What was your overnight low? Here in CO our lows are still in the 30-40s even when its 80s during the day. And my battery is usually sitting close to the overnight low even at noon. This causes slow DCFC until the battery gets to 68F, and could be your issue. The car stops heating the battery at 46F so driving does not heat it much.

·
350 Posts
As John411iD noted above you won't get the full rate unless you begin the charge at something below 20%. I believe VWTechnician has posted on this previously too. I traveled last week and made one stop at 40% SOC and got a max. of 80kWh even though I'd been driving for 4 hours already in 70° temps. Later the same day I stopped with 16% SOC and got 118kWh immediately. It all depends upon where you are on the "charging curve" when you begin the charge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts