Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40a charger and I noticed when I plugged in the ID4 tonight it’s charging at a way slower rate. Any ideas what is causing this? Is there a setting I’m missing? I know it’s not a charger issue as looking at the history it was providing proper power to my Kia Soul EV.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
isnt ya soul(if older then MY21) a 1-phase board charger versus 3 on the id.4

ID.4 should be, talking from an EU perspective, "home/public" charged with 3 phase/16A charger. This will give you 11kw charging.
it wont help that your charger has an higher amperage. board charger allows 16A each phase, unlike the soul can eat 1 phase and 29(?) amparage

·
694 Posts
What is the State of Charge of your car when you started? The higher the SOC, the lower the charge rate will be.

Reactions: NBCGLX and Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
Yes, as shown in Kyle's excellent video charging is not linear. It charges much faster to 50% then from 50%-80 or 100%

This is by design to get you going more quickly. e.g. Kyle well advises on a road trip to DC-charge to 50% and then hit the next DC-charger to reduce wait times at a charger. But then he demonstrates zero-100% in just one hour, so not so bad to take that length of break after that many miles.

What is the State of Charge of your car when you started? The higher the SOC, the lower the charge rate will be.

·
215 Posts
Yes, as shown in Kyle's excellent video charging is not linear. It charges much faster to 50% then from 50%-80 or 100%

This is by design to get you going more quickly. e.g. Kyle well advises on a road trip to DC-charge to 50% and then hit the next DC-charger to reduce wait times at a charger. But then he demonstrates zero-100% in just one hour, so not so bad to take that length of break after that many miles.
I would assume the charging curve is for DC fast charging right? wouldn't L2 charging be more constant.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
110 Posts
isnt ya soul(if older then MY21) a 1-phase board charger versus 3 on the id.4

ID.4 should be, talking from an EU perspective, "home/public" charged with 3 phase/16A charger. This will give you 11kw charging.
it wont help that your charger has an higher amperage. board charger allows 16A each phase, unlike the soul can eat 1 phase and 29(?) amparage
J1772 in North America only supports single phase charging, compared to the European Mennekes connector which supports three phase.

I would guess the ID internals consist of three 16 Amp chargers. In Europe, one is wired to each phase. In North America, the three chargers are wired in parallel allowing for 48 Amps total draw (11 kW).

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
I would assume the charging curve is for DC fast charging right? wouldn't L2 charging be more constant.
Edited for consistency...

It is. The charging curves you see published are for DCFC only. AC charging from home EVSE’s are more consistent since there is less of a risk with battery degradation from charging too fast. And the VW for the US market by all accounts is setup for our grid configuration found in most US homes in regards to level 2 charging. That is a single phase 240v. See in the US we have a single phase going into a transformer and out comes 2 120v hot legs with 180° phase differences between them, into our houses. While you can get 3 phase power to your house in some circumstances, it is far less common in the US and more readily available in industrial settings. Looking at the specs of the EA charger you can buy confirms that it should charge at a high rate. Based on that a 40A 240v EVSE should charge this a lot faster than what was reported. I am guessing there is something wrong in the wiring or EVSE that was not evident when using the 7.7kW Max from the Soul EV. IE it provided enough power for that to charge relatively fast but not enough to drive the higher rates of the ID.4.

Questions for the OP:
  • How long did it generally take your Soul EV to charge? On my Leviton 40A EVSE it was a little over 4 hours from ~20% SOC (non-scientific). This was with a 2018 Kia Soul EV.
  • What kind of EVSE do you have?
  • Is it hard-wired or plugged into a socket?
  • What amperage breaker do you have for it?

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the slow charging had to do with the schedule I set up. Car charged for a bit then stopped. I tried to restart via app and it would give me the message like “can’t start charging remotely when there’s a schedule”. I went down to the car, turned off schedule, restarted the charge and all was normal. Immediately started pulling 40a and nearly 10 kW.

To answer some of the other questions above. I have a JuiceBox 40a EVSE on a 50a breaker that is plugged in. Car was about 41% and I charged to 80%.

My updated charge stats, the 4 kW draw in the morning is turning on the climate while plugged in.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
215 Posts
I think the slow charging had to do with the schedule I set up. Car charged for a bit then stopped. I tried to restart via app and it would give me the message like “can’t start charging remotely when there’s a schedule”. I went down to the car, turned off schedule, restarted the charge and all was normal. Immediately started pulling 40a and nearly 10 kW.

To answer some of the other questions above. I have a JuiceBox 40a EVSE on a 50a breaker that is plugged in. Car was about 41% and I charged to 80%.
That is great to hear that you have it worked out. Also very cool that you are getting nearly 10kW. Glad I sprung for the 40A EVSE back in the day in anticipation of faster-charging cars. It was more expensive but worth it.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s exactly why I also did 40a at the time. I wouldn’t say I have if all figured out though. That gap between like 8:30 to 9 where it stopped and restarted charging, no idea why, then it stopped again and also no idea why, and I’d like to be able to use the scheduled departure feature. Is it designed to finish charge before you leave? Only thing I could find is a VW promo video walking through features and it says charging will begin immediately when plugging in after setting scheduled departure.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Even on an L2 EVSE, charging will ramp down as the battery fills. Here's a screenshot from charging my i3 (only capable of 7.7 kW on L2). You can see it actually ramps down slowly from the outset, and then as it approached a full battery it starts dropping precipitously over the last ~1.5 hours it was charging as it approaches 100% SOC.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
My Kia (30 kWh) definitely did not have a curve like that. View attachment 2081
Were you charging to 100%? I suspect you were cutting off charging short of 100%, since no EV can maintain full charging capacity 'til the battery is full. Rule of thumb for the i3 is ABC (always be charging) because it has a large buffer at both the top and the bottom of the battery's capacity.

·
7 Posts
Hi I am a new ID4 owner. I am struggling to find charging stations here in Brooklyn but have found Blink chargers at IKEA. The charge is extremely slow. It went from 38% to 54% over a timespan of 10 hrs today. Is the car broken? Should I contact the service center?

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
Do you know what the output of the chargers were? And when charging did you note the "MPH" or miles per hour of charge indication on the charging screen? Until you know those numbers you don't have enough info to make a determination. but I am betting it is just a slow charger or one with a problem.

Reactions: akl

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Hi I am a new ID4 owner. I am struggling to find charging stations here in Brooklyn but have found Blink chargers at IKEA. The charge is extremely slow. It went from 38% to 54% over a timespan of 10 hrs today. Is the car broken? Should I contact the service center?
I suggest that you find a CCS DC fast charger on plugshare.com. There are several shown in Brooklyn, but I haven't used any.

·
7 Posts
Thanks for your help.
this is what the charge report said:
Charging Time
09:25:56
Charging Energy
14.8994 kWh
Charging Unit Price
$0.24 per kWh
Charging Fee
$3.57
I only see 3 CCS plugs in Brooklyn on plugshare.
And 2 of them say coming soon...

·
222 Posts
That's a draw of ~ 1575 Watts over the course of ~9 1/2 hours, which is around 8 amps @ 208 volts. Is there a possibility that you have the toggle on for reduced rate for AC charging? (Figure 123, #4, p. 245 owner's manual) It reduces to 8 Amps when AC charging. Did you note a charging rate on the ID.4's charging screen, lower left, in miles per hour?

Those look like 24 Amp J1772 units, which are pretty slow on a good day, but certainly not that slow.
Brooklyn IKEA

Also, is that pretty close to the reduced charge rate the vehicle goes into for emergency charging?

·
215 Posts
Thanks for your help.
this is what the charge report said:
Charging Time
09:25:56
Charging Energy
14.8994 kWh
Charging Unit Price
$0.24 per kWh
Charging Fee
$3.57
I only see 3 CCS plugs in Brooklyn on plugshare.
And 2 of them say coming soon...
if you cant charge @ home, then you best bet is top it up weekly @ DC Fast charger, finding a level 2 charger on a consistent basis that is not your home is going to be painful IMO. Try the one in Whole Foods park slope.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts