Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to swap winter tires from the stock all season and this would be my first time swapping tires so have some questions.

1) Would it be ok to swap tires on the stock rims or do I need to also get a set of new rims to mount the snow tires on? Benefit to just keeping one set of rims is of course cost of not purchasing another set. Are there negatives? Can the rim handle being swapped twice per year? If I do need new rims is there anything in particular I need to look out for?

2) Do I need a special jack pad for the car lift points? On my model S I have a jack pad like a hockey puck that prevents damage to the battery from the lift. The only thing I noticed in the user manual was groove spots for a jack.

Thanks in advance!

·
2021 ID.4 FE
40 Posts
1) Would it be ok to swap tires on the stock rims or do I need to also get a set of new rims to mount the snow tires on? Benefit to just keeping one set of rims is of course cost of not purchasing another set. Are there negatives? Can the rim handle being swapped twice per year? If I do need new rims is there anything in particular I need to look out for?
You can, but it's hard on the tires and at some point the bead will stop sealing. It's very common to buy steel wheels for winter, but with a minimum of 18" wheels, you'd probably have to buy something nicer.

2) Do I need a special jack pad for the car lift points? On my model S I have a jack pad like a hockey puck that prevents damage to the battery from the lift. The only thing I noticed in the user manual was groove spots for a jack.
The ID.4 emergency response guide implies that there are normal pinch weld jack points: https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...esponse-Guides/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-ID4.ashx. I have a puck on my floor jack that I will probably use for that.

·
ID.4 Pro S Blue
55 Posts
You can, but it's hard on the tires and at some point the bead will stop sealing. It's very common to buy steel wheels for winter, but with a minimum of 18" wheels, you'd probably have to buy something nicer.

The ID.4 emergency response guide implies that there are normal pinch weld jack points: https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...esponse-Guides/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-ID4.ashx. I have a puck on my floor jack that I will probably use for that.
It’s interesting that NFPA has developed Emergency Response Guides for EVs, and they seem to be model specific. I’m assuming local firefighters either have to carry a large binder of these, or maybe a tablet with the Guides already downloaded. Do we have any firefighters on this forum that might know?

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
It’s interesting that NFPA has developed Emergency Response Guides for EVs, and they seem to be model specific. I’m assuming local firefighters either have to carry a large binder of these, or maybe a tablet with the Guides already downloaded. Do we have any firefighters on this forum that might know?
I am not a firefighter, but my neighbors are in a small county (San Juan County, WA). They don't have a binder of emergency disconnects. So I found the info for the ID.4 and printed out a couple of copies for them. They have training every Monday evening and have invited me to come with my car and point out the various disconnects for the HV battery. What is strange, the guide shows one by the charging socket release cable (have to cut the little flap in the trunk area by the right wheel), but it is not here. Even stuck a borescope in there looking for it, nope, not there.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
But to be back on topic. I have been researching winter tires and wheels for the past few weeks but have been waiting to pull the trigger until my car was finally repaired by VW and I had a chance to confirm the repair which I did with a successful DCFC session at EA last night.

So, today I printed out all fo the info from my tirerack quote (wheels, tires) and pricing for the tires I really want (Walmart had the cheapest price out of all places). Armed with this info, I went to my local discount tire and put a deposit on the wheels and tires. As I am doing 18" we decided to order the wheels first (hold off on the tires for now) to confirm the wheels will fit and not rub on the calipers. If that is ok, then I will also order the tires.

Tirerack was suggesting a square 235 setup for all 4 corners, but I wanted to keep the 255 in the rear so I am going to go with a 235/60R18 in the front and a 255/55R18 in the rear. Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires running on Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish. The reason I picked the Enkei was 2 fold, but the primary reason was that is a really light weight wheel (under 22 lbs) and at a reasonable price. I have run Enkei's before on my Golf TDI and they are nice wheels with decent quality.

Total price out the door I negotiated down to $1677 (including military discount and no sales tax in Oregon). (Before anyone points out the contradiction on a previous post where I say San Juan County, WA, we have 2 houses and I bounce between the 2 on a monthly basis).

The wheels should be in sometime late next week or early the week after for a test fitting session before ordering the tires.

·
2021 ID.4 FE
40 Posts
Tirerack was suggesting a square 235 setup for all 4 corners, but I wanted to keep the 255 in the rear so I am going to go with a 235/60R18 in the front and a 255/55R18 in the rear. Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires running on Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish. The reason I picked the Enkei was 2 fold, but the primary reason was that is a really light weight wheel (under 22 lbs) and at a reasonable price. I have run Enkei's before on my Golf TDI and they are nice wheels with decent quality.

Total price out the door I negotiated down to $1677 (including military discount and no sales tax in Oregon). (Before anyone points out the contradiction on a previous post where I say San Juan County, WA, we have 2 houses and I bounce between the 2 on a monthly basis).
I might have to give the Enkei wheels a try. My Bolt has steelies with the Michelin X-ICE XI3s for the winter, but I'm no longer going to have that vehicle in a few weeks time. I'm a bit bummed that I only got a few seasons with them, but they did well in New England and didn't impact range too much. How's the clearance from the wheel well? I've noticed that some of the radar sensors on some cars for lane switching don't like tires that aren't flush.

·
2021 ID.4 FE
40 Posts
I am not a firefighter, but my neighbors are in a small county (San Juan County, WA). They don't have a binder of emergency disconnects. So I found the info for the ID.4 and printed out a couple of copies for them. They have training every Monday evening and have invited me to come with my car and point out the various disconnects for the HV battery. What is strange, the guide shows one by the charging socket release cable (have to cut the little flap in the trunk area by the right wheel), but it is not here. Even stuck a borescope in there looking for it, nope, not there.
This is part of why I get EV plates on my cars in MA. Everybody knows that a Tesla is an EV, but something like a Fiat 500e or a VW ID.4 might not be as obvious, and I'd like any first responders to be thinking about how they are going to cut HV power. The San Juans are a nice place to have an EV. When I used to visit there from Seattle, I was surprised at the number of AirBnBs that have EV charging as an amenity.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
I might have to give the Enkei wheels a try. My Bolt has steelies with the Michelin X-ICE XI3s for the winter, but I'm no longer going to have that vehicle in a few weeks time. I'm a bit bummed that I only got a few seasons with them, but they did well in New England and didn't impact range too much. How's the clearance from the wheel well? I've noticed that some of the radar sensors on some cars for lane switching don't like tires that aren't flush.
I don't have the wheels yet (the local store will order them on Monday when the distributor opens up), but they are the same width and offset as the factory OEM wheels, just an inch smaller in diameter, so basically they should have the exact same dimensions with tires mounted. I don't expect anything to rub, etc. Right now the only unknown is the clearance between the front wheel and the brake calipers. The test fit should determine that.

I a surprised you only got 2 seasons out of the Michelin Xice3's. I have run them before and they are a decent winter tire, however, I do prefer the Nokian Hakka R3's.

·
2021 ID.4 FE
40 Posts
I a surprised you only got 2 seasons out of the Michelin Xice3's. I have run them before and they are a decent winter tire, however, I do prefer the Nokian Hakka R3's.
The tires are perfectly fine, but I'm going to have to turn in the Bolt that goes with them, so will probably eBay them. I might give the Hakkas a try this round.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
14 Posts
Right now the only unknown is the clearance between the front wheel and the brake calipers. The test fit should determine that.
For what it's worth, I got a set of Michelin X-ICE XI2 tires on 18" Sport Edition A8-2 rims, in the square 235 width setup from Tire Rack. With the wheel weights mounted on the inside of the rims, there's a few millimeters of clearance between the weights and the front brake calipers.

·
AWD Pro S ID.4 | EDD 11/2021
32 Posts
I don't have the wheels yet (the local store will order them on Monday when the distributor opens up), but they are the same width and offset as the factory OEM wheels, just an inch smaller in diameter, so basically they should have the exact same dimensions with tires mounted. I don't expect anything to rub, etc. Right now the only unknown is the clearance between the front wheel and the brake calipers. The test fit should determine that.
I'm also looking into a winter setup and considering different options.

With 20" wheels, winter tire options in the default staggered sizes are very limited. It's either Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Michelin X-Ice Snow and both are fairly expensive here in Canada.

As an alternative, I've also been considering a separate set of 18" or 19" winter wheels & tires. Enkei are on the top of my list too because of their weight, but they're probably not great aerodynamically so I wonder if there will be a net efficiency gain by downsizing or not.

Let us know how the XM-6 fit once you get them.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
I'm also looking into a winter setup and considering different options.

With 20" wheels, winter tire options in the default staggered sizes are very limited. It's either Pirelli Scorpion Winter or Michelin X-Ice Snow and both are fairly expensive here in Canada.

As an alternative, I've also been considering a separate set of 18" or 19" winter wheels & tires. Enkei are on the top of my list too because of their weight, but they're probably not great aerodynamically so I wonder if there will be a net efficiency gain by downsizing or not.

Let us know how the XM-6 fit once you get them.
We test fit the wheels the other day ( no tires yet) but it clears the calipers.
Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Hubcap Tread

And the caliper clearance

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

And like a true idiot I forgot to take a pic on the car.

·
AWD Pro S ID.4 | EDD 11/2021
32 Posts
We test fit the wheels the other day ( no tires yet) but it clears the calipers.
Thank you for the pics! When you have the opportunity, would you mind confirming that your brake rotors are 14 inches in diameter? Apparently there are two sizes (358 mm and 330 mm) and it is not clear if RWD Pro models have the same larger size that the AWD Pro and RWD FE cars are confirmed to have.

And when you do get the tires, it would be very interesting to compare the weight of stock vs aftermarket wheels & tires and to see if you notice any change in efficiency.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
Will do but I will be out of town for a week. The weight will be easy the efficiency might take a wile till winter.

·
309 Posts
And the caliper clearance

And like a true idiot I forgot to take a pic on the car.
If it clears the front callipers it should clear the rear drum brakes w/o any issues.

7S POWER

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
Of course it will clear in the rear, I am not sure if that was ever the question. But apparently, the AWD models might have larger front rotors. I will measure mine (RWD) front calipers sometime after next week. I am out of town on vacation.

·
292 Posts
You can, but it's hard on the tires and at some point the bead will stop sealing.
This would only be a factor if you swapped the tires for many (7-10+) years. At best, we're probably getting 3-4 seasons out of snows. No issue there.

Of course it will clear in the rear, I am not sure if that was ever the question. But apparently, the AWD models might have larger front rotors. I will measure mine (RWD) front calipers sometime after next week. I am out of town on vacation.
As far as I know: AWD has the same front rotors as the RWD First Edition. Pro and Pro S RWD have smaller front brakes since they do not have a towing package offered.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
148 Posts
So here are the updates. I forgot to measure the rotor, sorry about that.

Wheel: Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish (18x8)
Tires: Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires (235/60R18 Front & 255/55R18 Rear)

Weights of the new tire/wheel combinations:
Front: 53.8 lbs
Rear: 54.4 lbs

OEM Front only (didn't remove a rear tire as I am not yet running the winter setup):
64.0 lbs

So a reduction on the front of 10 lbs per tire/wheel.

Pictures of it fitted on the car:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Caliper to wheel weight clearance:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

The collection:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire White

Front tire (Rear is 255/55R18, but otherwise identical)
Tire Automotive tire Tread Textile Wheel

1 - 20 of 79 Posts