Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
289 Posts
Very cool - a staggered 18" setup! I'll be testing 18" on the FE brakes tomorrow to see how close I can get that wheel weight to caliper clearance.... gonna be close! Looking at an old pic of my rotor it appears almost identical to yours, so the difference will be small, if any. Thanks for posting this.

But, parts.vw.com is showing the "1ea615301b" front rotor for both FE RWD, Pro RWD, and Pro AWD. Hmm....

Do you have the "1LN" code on your build sticker under the rear floor? If so... that's the big brakes shared with the AWD and FE. That could put this to rest!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,289 Posts
I've typically had wheel weights on the inside of the wheel (the inner width but near face) so no spokes inner face-caliper face clearance issues. But then I've not, yet, looked to see where located the factory 20" wheel weights.
Very cool - a staggered 18" setup! I'll be testing 18" on the FE brakes tomorrow to see how close I can get that wheel weight to caliper clearance.... gonna be close! Looking at an old pic of my rotor it appears almost identical to yours, so the difference will be small, if any. Thanks for posting this.

But, parts.vw.com is showing the "1ea615301b" front rotor for both FE RWD, Pro RWD, and Pro AWD. Hmm....

Do you have the "1LN" code on your build sticker under the rear floor? If so... that's the big brakes shared with the AWD and FE. That could put this to rest!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
141 Posts
Beautiful ENKEI (enkay) - wheels. Is that the new model MX-6?

Excellent winter tires choice. Can't go wrong with those Hakkas. IMHO, they're much better winter tires than either the Michelin, Continental or Pirelli

7S POWER
Close XM-6

·
275 Posts
So here are the updates. I forgot to measure the rotor, sorry about that.

Wheel: Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish (18x8)
Tires: Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires (235/60R18 Front & 255/55R18 Rear)

View attachment 5726
I'm just wondering why did you decide to go with the stagger winter tires set-up?

The OD, Circumference, and Rev/mile of the 235/60-18 size is compatible with either the 235/55-19 or the 255/50-19 size.

FRONT
19" OE size | 18" replacement size | % Error
235/55-19 | 235/60-18 | 0.3

OD: 29.2" | 29.1" | 0.3
Circumference: 91.6" | 91.4" | 0.2
Rev/mile: 692 | 693 | 0.3

REAR
255/50-19 | 235/60-18 | 0.3

OD: 29.0" | 29.1" | 0.3
Circumference: 91.2" | 91.4" | 0.2
Rev/mile: 695 | 693 | 0.3

7S POWER

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
141 Posts
I'm just wondering why did you decide to go with the stagger winter tires set-up?

The OD, Circumference, and Rev/mile of the 235/60-18 size is compatible with either the 235/55-19 or the 255/50-19 size.

FRONT
235/55-19 | 235/60-18 | 0.3

OD: 29.2" | 29.1" | 0.3
Circumference: 91.6" | 91.4" | 0.2
Rev/mile: 692 | 693 | 0.3

REAR
255/50-19 | 235/60-18 | 0.3

OD: 29.0" | 29.1" | 0.3
Circumference: 91.2" | 91.4" | 0.2
Rev/mile: 695 | 693 | 0.3

7S POWER
Wanted to keep the same amount of rubber on the road as OEM. I had a staggered setup in my M4 and square winter setup, didn't really care for it....not enough grip in the rear. Cost difference was about $60 ($30 more for each larger rear tire).

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
145 Posts
Beautiful ENKEI (enkay) - wheels. Is that the new model MX-6?

Excellent winter tires choice. Can't go wrong with those Hakkas. IMHO, they're much better winter tires than either the Michelin, Continental or Pirelli

7S POWER
If you go outside the cities in Norway/Sweden you rarely see anything other than Nokian Hakkapeliitta or Conti Vikingcontact. Anything else just doesn't work in real winter conditions.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,289 Posts
Well, we also have to consider that Nokian tire production plants are located in Finland, Russia and more recently USA.

I have no personal Nokian Winter tire experience, other than seeing them on many vehicles in far northern Norway (Evenes), but I've noted them as top rated for many years. I just make do with Michelin Alpin. ;)
If you go outside the cities in Norway/Sweden you rarely see anything other than Nokian Hakkapeliitta or Conti Vikingcontact. Anything else just doesn't work in real winter conditions.

·
275 Posts
Wanted to keep the same amount of rubber on the road as OEM. I had a staggered setup in my M4 and square winter setup, didn't really care for it....not enough grip in the rear. Cost difference was about $60 ($30 more for each larger rear tire).
That's a no-brainer price difference to go for the stagger tires set-up.

7S POWER

·
275 Posts
I'm not surprised the Nokian is the popular winter tires choice in the Scandinavian countries. After all, the winter tire was invented by the Nokian in Finland. The Conti WT would be my 2nd choice.

7S POWER

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
141 Posts
I'm not surprised the Nokian is the popular winter tires choice in the Scandinavian countries. After all, the winter tire was invented by the Nokian in Finland. The Conti WT would be my 2nd choice.

7S POWER
That is pretty much the reason I didn't buy from Tirerack. They don't carry the Nokians unfortunately. So i had to go to a local shop with my tirerack quote for the wheels and have them match it, they had to order stuff and 2 trips later I finally had what I wanted. Having the UPS truck deliver them to my door would have been easier, but I am a Nokian Hakka die hard. Have used them on my past 5 or 6 cars with a pair of Michelin Alpin PA4's thrown in the mix for my M4 as I wanted a winter performance tire. I have tried quite a few winter tires over the past 30 years, and the Hakka's are the ones I like the best.

·
275 Posts
That is pretty much the reason I didn't buy from Tirerack. They don't carry the Nokians unfortunately. So i had to go to a local shop with my tirerack quote for the wheels and have them match it, they had to order stuff and 2 trips later I finally had what I wanted. Having the UPS truck deliver them to my door would have been easier, but I am a Nokian Hakka die hard. Have used them on my past 5 or 6 cars with a pair of Michelin Alpin PA4's thrown in the mix for my M4 as I wanted a winter performance tire. I have tried quite a few winter tires over the past 30 years, and the Hakka's are the ones I like the best.
You made a good choice for the winter tires. Nokian is a big name in Europe and Asia, for some reason, not in the US. Now they have the Mfg plant in Tennesse hopefully they'll penetrate the US market. Who knows they might supply tires to the ID.4 plant there.

7S POWER

·
275 Posts
@fiehlsport
that seems consistent with what I found, it's surprisingly hard to measure a brake rotor on the car without having a helper:
Or if a helper isn't available, do this

Where:
A = Distance from ground to the bottom edge of the hub flange
B = Distance from ground to the bottom edge of the rotor disc
øh = Hub flange diameter = 2.3125" measurement taken from tape measure
r = Rotor disc radius to the center of the hub bore
ør = Rotor disc diameter

Rotor disc radius:
r = A - B + (øh / 2)
= A - B + (2.3125 / 2)
= A - B + (1.15625)

Rotor disc diameter:
ør = 2r = 2 {(A - B) + 1.15625}
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Locking hubs

7S POWER

·
AWD Pro S ID.4 | EDD 11/2021
32 Posts
Many thanks for the update, the pics and the weight measurements. And glad we confirmed the rotors are the same on the AWD.

So here are the updates. I forgot to measure the rotor, sorry about that.

Wheel: Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish (18x8)
Tires: Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires (235/60R18 Front & 255/55R18 Rear)

Weights of the new tire/wheel combinations:
Front: 53.8 lbs
Rear: 54.4 lbs

OEM Front only (didn't remove a rear tire as I am not yet running the winter setup):
64.0 lbs

So a reduction on the front of 10 lbs per tire/wheel.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts