Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
303 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered in this forum...however I was planning to for the winter tires 245/60r18 for front and back. Will this setup work?
That should work.

Also I have these rims https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...&wheelModel=P2&wheelFinish=Anthracite+Painted already off a different vehicle no longer used. Tire rack says does not fit with ID4 but wanted to make sure.
What car? What's the bolt PCD of the wheel? The ID.4 uses 5x112 PCD and a 57.1 mm dia. center bore. If it's not that, then it won't work.

The remedy is, get a set of used aluminum OE VW or Audi 18" 5x112 wheels off the Atlas, Tiguan, Q3, Q5 or Q7. Also, the MB 18" 5x112 aluminum wheels will work.

7S POWER

·
AWD Pro S ID.4 | EDD 11/2021
32 Posts
That should work.

What car? What's the bolt PCD of the wheel? The ID.4 uses 5x112 PCD. If it's not that, then it won't work.

The remedy is, get a set of used aluminum OE VW or Audi 18" 5x112 wheels off the Tiguan, Q3 or Q5. Also, the MB 18" 5x112 aluminum wheels will work.

7S POWER
I wonder if OE wheels for those models would have a sufficient load rating for the ID.4, which is a lot heavier. VW doesn't publish such specs.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
My Audi allroad was in about the same 4K pound range as the ID.4. They tend to over-spec OEM wheels/tires as they have to consider the heavy loads some folks may carry (not to mention ever heavier 'mericans). So, no worries.
I wonder if OE wheels for those models would have a sufficient load rating for the ID.4, which is a lot heavier. VW doesn't publish such specs.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
I'd rather a German designed aftermarket Rial as an example, since same spec's as OEM (originally produced in Germany and now Poland). I ran my Rial winter set on three Audi's, one of which the heavy allroad, for over ten years.

btw: Audi typically offers an OEM Winter rim/tire set. I would think whatever they promote for the Q4 would be an excellent choice, albeit somewhat pricey. I haven't seen a VW offering as yet.

·
303 Posts
That's true. However, the OE VW or Audi wheels are generally in the 25+ lb. weight range. And, if you go with the taller snow/winter tires, you've given yourself lots of safety margin, i.e. hitting the potholes and not crack the wheels. Btw, Atlas and Q7 OE wheels are 18" 5x112.

7S POWER

·
303 Posts
I'd rather a German designed aftermarket Rial as an example, since same spec's as OEM (originally produced in Germany and now Poland). I ran my Rial winter set on three Audi's, one of which the heavy allroad, for over ten years.

btw: Audi typically offers an OEM Winter rim/tire set. I would think whatever they promote for the Q4 would be an excellent choice, albeit somewhat pricey. I haven't seen a VW offering as yet.
Good stuff. I've a set of Ronal R41S 16" on 205/65-16 Gislaved Nord*Frost 200 in my OOOO Avant quattro.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

7S POWER

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
155 Posts
Don't forget Audi and VW tend to have different centre bore measurements.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
So I am assuming that the wheels you have are 18"'s as that is the minimum size based on my experience. I have a few mm clearance. As far as using 245's I am not sure if that will affect the steering and/or clearance. I would test fit one of the wheels if you already have them and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
Sometimes differing even by model. For instance my Audi TT had a smaller diameter wheel hub bore than my A5 & allroad, so I used hub centric rings in my hand-me-down Winter rims for same, just for anti-vibration peace of mind.
e.g. Hub Centric Rings - Set Of Four for my TT

ID.4 wheel data (same as my smaller TT hub bore!):
Rectangle Font Circle Magenta Number

·
732 Posts

something like this you mean?
19": 19 inch winterset Loen zilver
20": 20 inch lichtmetalen winterset Loen zwart

·
303 Posts
Use this handy wheel fitment tool before buying a set of used OE or OEM wheels. And maybe need a set of hub rings or maybe not.

7S POWER

·
37 Posts
A big advantage of having your winter tires mounted on their own wheels is that you can change them over yourself. No need to rebalance them each time, either. Most people are not going to be trying to dismount/mount low profile tires in their garage!

Some tire stores offer "free seasonal wheel change" option which works to your advantage if you keep the car for a long time and don't move out of town.

Ideally, in my opinion, the winter wheels should be the same as the summer wheels, to avoid questions of caliper clearance and strength, but there aren't enough ID.4s in junkyards yet for that to be practical. :)

·
303 Posts
Ideally, in my opinion, the winter wheels should be the same as the summer wheels, to avoid questions of caliper clearance and strength, but there aren't enough ID.4s in junkyards yet for that to be practical. :)
There should be plenty of used 18" OE VW & Audi SUV wheels out there that would fit the ID.4.

7S POWER

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
216 Posts
Vermont driver where it snows from October to May. Been running on Nokian Hakkapaliita for the past 12 years.

On my Sequoia I ran studded 7's (2 sets: 90K miles), then studded 8's (45K) all year round (VT allows year round use). A fair mix of paved & dirt roads. When I moved to Montpelier & my studded 8's were at the end of their tread life, I switched to R2's (now the R3's are out) & I can say I was entirely happy with them. Road response was just as good, even with ice.
Also ran eN-Tyre 2.0's on a RAV4 prior to getting our e-Golf. Loved them. All year round use. Always felt confident on snowy roads.

Almost got eN-Tyre 2.0's for the e-Golf. Running Studded Nokian Hakkapaliita 9's in the winter. Yes, we take a massive efficiency hit in the winter from 4.9 miles/kW down to 3.1-3.4 miles/kW. However, this is our "city errand runner" & the wife's commute is 2 miles each way. AND Montpelier side streets are steeper than San Francisco (including ours).

Since getting the ID4 in March, I had the opportunity to commute over to Stowe from Montpelier for 3 snow events earlier this year. With the stock slicks on the ID4, it drove like a rear wheel drive station wagon (My folks '79 Chevy Impala station wagon comes to mind). Rather "boaty" & if you take it slow, you'll get there. Want to get there faster? Get a snowmobile. ;-)

·
37 Posts
One thing about Colorado is that the snow tends to evaporate (or, technically, sublimate) very quickly because it is so dry. Studded tires don't buy much except in rare cases, typically ski resort parking lots.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,300 Posts
It's always been amazing to me that in very cold/dry air snow can directly 'sublimate' to a vapor, effectively skipping the whole liquid thing. ;)
Slushy salt-ladden driving is the bane of my Winter experience. 😖
One thing about Colorado is that the snow tends to evaporate (or, technically, sublimate) very quickly because it is so dry. Studded tires don't buy much except in rare cases, typically ski resort parking lots.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts