Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,132 Posts
Where we are, snow is pretty rare. Every once in a while we get some - easy enough to wait for it to melt.

·
2 Posts
So here are the updates. I forgot to measure the rotor, sorry about that.

Wheel: Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish (18x8)
Tires: Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires (235/60R18 Front & 255/55R18 Rear)

Weights of the new tire/wheel combinations:
Front: 53.8 lbs
Rear: 54.4 lbs

OEM Front only (didn't remove a rear tire as I am not yet running the winter setup):
64.0 lbs

So a reduction on the front of 10 lbs per tire/wheel.

Pictures of it fitted on the car:
View attachment 5723

View attachment 5724

Caliper to wheel weight clearance:

View attachment 5725

The collection:

View attachment 5726

Front tire (Rear is 255/55R18, but otherwise identical)
View attachment 5727
It's an excellent winter package - I'm trying to build the same.
Have you tried new set on the road?
Could you please advise where your tires are manufactured? Nokian also has plants in Finland, Russia and Dayton/ US.
Thank you,
Anton

·
37 Posts
Here is a possible consideration I heard, related to the source of winter tire designs. This is just a rumor-grade hypothesis, just for reference. I have no factual information to support or refute this idea.
  • In Japan, the winter weather tends to involve icy roads, and their winter tires are designed to work in those conditions.
  • In Scandinavia, the winter weather tends to involve snowpacked roads, and their winter tires are designed to work in those conditions.
The hypothesis does not cover the case of slushy mud with salt and gravel mixed in, unfortunately!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
It's an excellent winter package - I'm trying to build the same.
Have you tried new set on the road?
Could you please advise where your tires are manufactured? Nokian also has plants in Finland, Russia and Dayton/ US.
Thank you,
Anton
Haven't installed the tires/wheels yet, so can't tell you on how they perform, sound, etc.

As far as place of mfg, I only checked 1 tire (they are stored on a rack), it is labeled, Made in Russia. There are no country of orgin markings on the wheels unfortunately, not sure if that means made in Japan or not. I don't have the boxes the wheels came in, so that is probably not helpful either.

·
2 Posts
Haven't installed the tires/wheels yet, so can't tell you on how they perform, sound, etc.

As far as place of mfg, I only checked 1 tire (they are stored on a rack), it is labeled, Made in Russia. There are no country of orgin markings on the wheels unfortunately, not sure if that means made in Japan or not. I don't have the boxes the wheels came in, so that is probably not helpful either.
Got it, thanks - I was also offered tires made in Russia. The dealer shared that most of the tires made in America for Nokian are larger truck tires.

·
1 Posts
So here are the updates. I forgot to measure the rotor, sorry about that.

Wheel: Enkei XM-6 wheels in gloss black finish (18x8)
Tires: Nokian Hakkapaliita R3 SUV studless snow tires (235/60R18 Front & 255/55R18 Rear)

Weights of the new tire/wheel combinations:
Front: 53.8 lbs
Rear: 54.4 lbs

OEM Front only (didn't remove a rear tire as I am not yet running the winter setup):
64.0 lbs

So a reduction on the front of 10 lbs per tire/wheel.

Pictures of it fitted on the car:
View attachment 5723

View attachment 5724

Caliper to wheel weight clearance:

View attachment 5725

The collection:

View attachment 5726

Front tire (Rear is 255/55R18, but otherwise identical)
View attachment 5727
Great set up. Just wanted to point out that it appears the front left (driver side) tire is mounted in the wrong direction in the picture. Nokian Hakk R's are directional, need to swap that wheel to the passenger side to fix this.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
Great set up. Just wanted to point out that it appears the front left (driver side) tire is mounted in the wrong direction in the picture. Nokian Hakk R's are directional, need to swap that wheel to the passenger side to fix this.
This was just a test fit. Tires are correctly installed on the wheels as far as direction goes. I will make sure once I install that everything is correct.

·
17 Posts
Has anyone found inventory for snows in the 20” factory staggered sizes? The only option that seems available are the Pirelli Scorpion Winter. I’d prefer to try the Nokian Haka R3 or perhaps the Michelin Xice Snow but can’t seem to find them. Thanks!

·
6 Posts
Vermont driver where it snows from October to May. Been running on Nokian Hakkapaliita for the past 12 years.

On my Sequoia I ran studded 7's (2 sets: 90K miles), then studded 8's (45K) all year round (VT allows year round use). A fair mix of paved & dirt roads. When I moved to Montpelier & my studded 8's were at the end of their tread life, I switched to R2's (now the R3's are out) & I can say I was entirely happy with them. Road response was just as good, even with ice.
Also ran eN-Tyre 2.0's on a RAV4 prior to getting our e-Golf. Loved them. All year round use. Always felt confident on snowy roads.

Almost got eN-Tyre 2.0's for the e-Golf. Running Studded Nokian Hakkapaliita 9's in the winter. Yes, we take a massive efficiency hit in the winter from 4.9 miles/kW down to 3.1-3.4 miles/kW. However, this is our "city errand runner" & the wife's commute is 2 miles each way. AND Montpelier side streets are steeper than San Francisco (including ours).

Since getting the ID4 in March, I had the opportunity to commute over to Stowe from Montpelier for 3 snow events earlier this year. With the stock slicks on the ID4, it drove like a rear wheel drive station wagon (My folks '79 Chevy Impala station wagon comes to mind). Rather "boaty" & if you take it slow, you'll get there. Want to get there faster? Get a snowmobile. ;-)
While I know that’s late winter/spring, did you see any very cold temps, and if so, what range impact did you notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
302 Posts
Looks like the Pro and FE both have 14" rotors. :) Thanks iPhone Measure app!
View attachment 5774
Being a European car I would imagine the measurements will be metric not imperial. Unlikely to be exactly 14". 35 cm might be the actual measurement.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
Has anyone found inventory for snows in the 20” factory staggered sizes? The only option that seems available are the Pirelli Scorpion Winter. I’d prefer to try the Nokian Haka R3 or perhaps the Michelin Xice Snow but can’t seem to find them. Thanks!
Discount tire ordered my 18” ones for me. Have you talked to them if they can order 20’s? Took about a week.

·
17 Posts
Discount tire ordered my 18” ones for me. Have you talked to them if they can order 20’s? Took about a week.
Was the consensus that my 20” FE RWD brake clearance issues would be the same as yours? I have been hesitant about dropping to the 18” (and my spouse really doesn’t want to spring for wheels!). Thanks!

·
303 Posts
Was the consensus that my 20” FE RWD brake clearance issues would be the same as yours?
What brake clearance issues? Factory 19 & 20 in. don't have brake clearance issues. The 18 in. wheels clear the front callipers and clear the rear drums.
The rule of thumb is if a wheel clears the front calliper then it'll very likely clear the rear calliper. That's because the rear callipers are usually smaller than the fronts. In ID.4 case, it will because it has rear drums.

I have been hesitant about dropping to the 18” (and my spouse really doesn’t want to spring for wheels!). Thanks!
You can always go with the 19 in. for snow tires.

The 18 in. is better in the winter as it cuts thru the snow, slush, water etc. Lighter, less snow planning, aquaplaning etc. Think of cutting a heavy cake with a thin vs wide knife?

7S POWER

·
17 Posts
What brake clearance issues? Factory 19 & 20 in. don't have brake clearance issues. The 18 in. wheels clear the front callipers and clear the rear drums.
The rule of thumb is if a wheel clears the front calliper then it'll very likely clear the rear calliper. That's because the rear callipers are usually smaller than the fronts. In ID.4 case, it will because it has rear drums.

You can always go with the 19 in. for snow tires.

The 18 in. is better in the winter as it cuts thru the snow, slush, water etc. Lighter, less snow planning, aquaplaning etc. Think of cutting a heavy cake with a thin vs wide knife?

7S POWER
I didn’t phrase my question very well, but I think you answered it- I was really trying to ask if there was consensus that 18” wheel options would work for all variants, including my 20” RWD FE, and it sounds like the answer is “yes, barely, but yes.”

Discount Tire isn’t showing anything in stock that would work in the OEM 20” sizes. Just wondering if anyone’s been able to find either the Michelin xIce-Snow or the Hakka R3s in the oem 20” in stock somewhere.

Thanks for all the great info!

·
303 Posts
No worries. It's all good. Thank you.

Get in touch with hilld wrt 18 in. snow tires, or see his posting in this thread.

I personally think because the OEM 20" wheel+tire combo generates more sales than the lesser size wheel+tire combos.

7S POWER

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
I didn’t phrase my question very well, but I think you answered it- I was really trying to ask if there was consensus that 18” wheel options would work for all variants, including my 20” RWD FE, and it sounds like the answer is “yes, barely, but yes.”

Discount Tire isn’t showing anything in stock that would work in the OEM 20” sizes. Just wondering if anyone’s been able to find either the Michelin xIce-Snow or the Hakka R3s in the oem 20” in stock somewhere.

Thanks for all the great info!
The short story is, 18" wheels will fit, but not all of them. I started my search at Tirerack to see what wheels fit, then had the local discount tire store order them for me. Normally, I would have just bought the package from Tirerack, however, they don't carry Nokian tires, but Discount Tire does, so that is who got my business. They matched TR's wheel prices so that was good as well. I have yet to install the tires, it will be around Thanksgiving when I do as the tires and car won't be in the same place till then.

As far as snow tires goes, you can do a square setup in all 235 or replicate the OEM setup with a staggered 235 (front) and 255 (rear). Really depends on your local driving conditions. Here in the PNW on an island, we get snow 2 days a year and it is gone by noon (every couple of years it sticks around for a few days), so snow is not the primary concern for me (staggered setup), but if you live in "Mr. Plow" country (Homer Simpson reference), you might want something more narrow. (square setup)

·
17 Posts
The short story is, 18" wheels will fit, but not all of them. I started my search at Tirerack to see what wheels fit, then had the local discount tire store order them for me. Normally, I would have just bought the package from Tirerack, however, they don't carry Nokian tires, but Discount Tire does, so that is who got my business. They matched TR's wheel prices so that was good as well. I have yet to install the tires, it will be around Thanksgiving when I do as the tires and car won't be in the same place till then.

As far as snow tires goes, you can do a square setup in all 235 or replicate the OEM setup with a staggered 235 (front) and 255 (rear). Really depends on your local driving conditions. Here in the PNW on an island, we get snow 2 days a year and it is gone by noon (every couple of years it sticks around for a few days), so snow is not the primary concern for me (staggered setup), but if you live in "Mr. Plow" country (Homer Simpson reference), you might want something more narrow. (square setup)
Okay, thanks again for the info. We get into slushy conditions a fair amount around here, so square might be good for us, but even so, the 235-50-20 size seems to be where many stores don’t have inventory. Ugh, I haven’t had so much trouble in the past finding tires for a car. Thanks again all!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
147 Posts
Think about overall costs. The 20" tires are quite a bit more money and if you have to keep dismounting/mounting/balancing the summer and winter tires 3-4 times you might be to similar cost as 18" wheels and tires.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts