Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at VW group of America's Headquarters this past Saturday for a R's and Coffee that was limited to 250 attendee's. I also have a 2004 VW R32 so I jumped on the opportunity to attend with hopes there would be a 2021 ID.4 on display. I even drove my 2017 e-Golf the 300 miles each way to get there and had my first use of an Electrify America Fast Charge station.

Impressions:

There were a lot of people checking it out so I didn't get much time with it. I also had my 5 year old son with me. The attendant did energize it for me so I could play with things a bit. She was scared I would attempt to drive it so it was energized for a very short period. It was by far the most popular display car there. Every time I looked over in the display corral there was a crowd around it. The battery was at 97% but I didn't see the screen to see what the miles/kwh whomever has been driving it was achieving. I get 4.7miles/kwh with my e-Golf.

The panoramic roof is huge. I didn't even notice the shade was fully open until I sat in the back seat. That is, the factory tint is just right, even in the late morning sun. I didn't even feel like it was heating up the interior at all. My son loved the view of the sky. All seats were comfortable, the back seats seemed to have about the same amount of room as my e-Golf, maybe slightly more. The boot has not one but two false bottoms exposing some neat storage compartments and more cargo area than the e-Golf.

The hitch is a tiny class 1, albeit that is all that is required for 2200 lbs of rated towing. The wheels pictured are not standard. Dustin told me that was about the only thing different then what we should see on the first edition. I only saw one charge pad up front, I think it was working but you can't see your screen when it is in the compartment. There were 2 USB's in the back. The little pockets on the back of the front seats are perfect to put your phone. I could see a kid hanging an iPad or tablet there on a long trip to watch a movie.

In general, I was hoping it would be slightly wider than my e-Golf inside. We are a family of 5 with 3 boys. All 3 of them in the back on a long trip will be trouble in a short amount of time. I honestly think the first reasonably priced 7 or 8 seater EV on the market with a range above 250 miles will be extremely popular. I am dumbfounded not one manufacturer has one on the market yet. Something like a Ford Flex or Chrysler Pacifica.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

·
2 Posts
So how was the fit and finish? It looks pretty much ready to be sold. Anything that turned you off? Did they provide any further details on actual dates of availability? I’m guessing no to that last question.

·
39 Posts
I’m surprised to hear your remarks about the backseat space. If I remember correctly, ID.4 has more rear space than a Tiguan, which itself has way more space than a Golf. Hmmm...

·
80 Posts
@FASTGOLFR32,

Thank you for the information and pictures. Like @NBCGLX I am surprised to hear that the ID4 isn't much larger than the eGolf

I also currently have an eGolf and have always had smaller hatchback or wagons. Like the eGolf wish it had a bigger back seat and cargo area.

Still really interested in the ID4, personally not a fan of larger vehicles and have no need for one. Hopefully I will be able to see one in person shortly too.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
228 Posts
Looks like a Tiguan R Line in Cardinal Red. I haven't seen that option online or in US order guides.

·
11 Posts
Dam I missed that event. I live 5min from the HQ. Do you know if they are hosting any other events anytime soon ?

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m surprised to hear your remarks about the backseat space. If I remember correctly, ID.4 has more rear space than a Tiguan, which itself has way more space than a Golf. Hmmm...
It is just my opinion. I didn't physically measure anything. I was just hoping it would be much larger than a compact 4 door hatchback, not just slightly larger. I am sure we can find the dimensions to see how point on or far off my spatial dyslexia is.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So how was the fit and finish? It looks pretty much ready to be sold. Anything that turned you off? Did they provide any further details on actual dates of availability? I’m guessing no to that last question.
It was typical VW; clean, reasonable mix of materials, overall comfortable and appears it will be easy to live with as a daily driver. I didn't see anything that turned me off, not even the white steering wheel that I had some anxiety about.

·
20 Posts
It was typical VW, clean, reasonable mix of materials and overall comfortable and appears it will be easy to live with as a daily driver. I didn't see anything that turned me off, not even the white steering wheel that I had some anxiety about.
Are the door handles electronic? I saw both electronic and manual handles in pre-production videos.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Are the door handles electronic? I saw both electronic and manual handles in pre-production videos.
I am pretty sure they are manual but the locks can be set to options from the display. I couldn't open the back door from the inside, the attendant had to let me out as the child safety lock was on. From what I understand, you can set that from the display or manually on the edge of the door with the key.

Edit-I am being told that they are both electronic and manual. Manual is available if for some reason the 12v system is dead.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
105 Posts
Thanks very much for detail-posting FASTGOLFR32. I had an 'R32 once upon a time and still miss it.

I continue to be 'energized' by thoughts of having and driving my own ID.4, thanks in part to your post. ;)

·
227 Posts
Great information @FASTGOLFR32! I want to add on this too, did all the plastics feel cheap or do they feel solid?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts