Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
ID4 Pro RWD
106 Posts
Back in October when I took delivery, my dealer said to expect a software update in December. That was probably a little optimistic, but whatever it is (and whenever they decide to release the update), it sounds like I'll need to have the update done at the dealer.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
924 Posts
I work for a software security company in application security and we hire people with the needed skills for our projects. I know VW outsourced a lot of the code development, to me that screams nothing but trouble. This is going to be your bread and butter, you need to do this in-house and not leave this to some outsourcing company that has no vested interest other than billing you more and more hours.
Last I heard, they have now put it on Audi to develop some of the software for the entire group and VW has stated that they need to build their software in-house, if they want to succeed - I reckon they had to outsource until they could/can get their in-house software development organisation up and running (not a quick process).

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Alas we humans are far better at reacting than being proactive and even major corporations are made up of mostly humans. Well, save for WeatherTech and their mostly robots.

Still one would think they would have better planned their software development. Audi buyers would never withstand the gremlins many here have seen so probably a good course of action.
Last I heard, they have now put it on Audi to develop some of the software for the entire group and VW has stated that they need to build their software in-house, if they want to succeed - I reckon they had to outsource until they could/can get their in-house software development organisation up and running (not a quick process).

·
112 Posts
Am I being silly as seeing the best possible future for EVs as Tesla evolving into a an Automotive Software Dev and Licensing corporation and other auto makers working with Tesla to integrate their product into their hardware architecture?

...or perhaps Google filling this role?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,772 Posts
...or perhaps Google filling this role?
They already are with Ford, Volvo, Polestar, GM, FCA and others already using Android Automotive OS. And VW says they are switching to it as well, but will use the open-source version of it so they can have their own 'Play Store' and other customizations.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
Heard today:
  • 2.4 and LV battery to be installed at dealership.
  • 3.0 to follow via OTA.
  • European owners can get 2.4 now if they complain to dealership.
That's encouraging that the dealer has details on the new battery. Do they have an idea of the timeline proposed for the rollout?

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
628 Posts
That's encouraging that the dealer has details on the new battery. Do they have an idea of the timeline proposed for the rollout?
End of Q1 2022 for 3.0 to have been rolled out completely was what I heard.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
End of Q1 2022 for 3.0 to have been rolled out completely was what I heard.
Ok, so that still jives with the March timeframe we've been talking about. Remind me, did you guys start getting 2.3 in the UK?

61 - 80 of 138 Posts