Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

Could you elaborate on this one, please?
If I run in B mode all the time and my MODE is in ECO, then I park and then resume driving don't make me click twice on the D/B switch.
Maybe make it an ECO MODE option. Software should be able to code it easily 馃.
Probably not a big deal since I've already learned to double click by habit. What's another wrist turn anyway, sheesh... have I become that lazy 馃檮?

I started out as a huge B-mode fan, but over time have concluded it is only nice in busy city traffic. If you have the option to let the car roll out with your foot off the pedal, and then brake, you鈥檙e both using regen and just rolled 400-600 yards for free towards the red light, etc.
Just doesn鈥檛 works when there are others breathing down your hatch, or where you constantly need to brake, change direction, etc.

D-mode is really teaching me to anticipate further ahead and drive more relaxed

I started out as a huge B-mode fan, but over time have concluded it is only nice in busy city traffic. If you have the option to let the car roll out with your foot off the pedal, and then brake, you鈥檙e both using regen and just rolled 400-600 yards for free towards the red light, etc.
Just doesn鈥檛 works when there are others breathing down your hatch, or where you constantly need to brake, change direction, etc.

D-mode is really teaching me to anticipate further ahead and drive more relaxed
My Jetta hybrid was optimized to roll on until you first depressed the brakes, then regenerate. That optimization made drivers think that the brakes were soft or needing fluid bleeding. For 8 years I drove and coasted and anticipated.
In fact, I don't like the way the ID4 hard brakes at the last moment in Traffic Assist, scares me sometimes.
But constant switching between D and B is an accident waiting to happen. So I have chosen B mode, for my and other's safety 馃榿. Too late to switch back to D mode now, plus I'm anticipating one pedal driving, so-o-o-on maybe 馃え.

Not sure, VW seems to be believe in teaching the power of coasting. The European 2.3 code e.g. really shows with hints in the ID light and on the little dash when you should take your foot off the peddle to optimally coast until the next intersection, etc.
It also applies additional regen itself when it thinks that you approach a corner or intersection to fast (only when coasting).
So in essence the are building a one pedal driving solution based on coasting and intelligence

I would like the small cluster screen in front on the wheel to default to two split screen and not three. Maybe automatically move to three when you start navigating (either with Google Maps or built-in Nav).

In my car it defaults to three split and the right area is always a blank space as I don't use navigation directions often. I always press the left arrow to make it two split. It would be nice not having to do that. Plus, when drive assist is on, the two split makes the drive assist animation with the cars around you look better. It has an 80s feeling to it that I like.

Having no split and a view with only speedometer with additional charge, Regen, and efficiency information would be nice too.

Of course, if we go straight to all of the above being customizable, I wouldn't complaint either.

2021 ID.4 Pro S RWD
1. Car-net to have basic functions. lock the car, see where the car is, windows up / down, see consumption data, etc.
2. To have the configurable homes screens allow you to use the same widget on multiple screens. Why can each only be used once, that is bonkers
3. To be able to have carplay in a window on the home screen with driving data (consumption, etc) present in a different pane. You can currently have carplay in a window, but not with driving data next to it.
4. For the US to get the update that improves responsiveness
5. profiles per driver (set the seat memory, mirrors, home screen config, radio presets, etc)

ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
2. To have the configurable homes screens allow you to use the same widget on multiple screens. Why can each only be used once, that is bonkers
Adding to this to allow for all widgets to be available in all slots, because currently some slots are limited to only certain widgets, which causes me to not have the most efficient layout possible. (It also keeps me from having all the information I need while driving readily available, and without having to look away from the road to switch views.)

Remind me..

(a) How do I tell what is the latest update running in my car? Car.net does not seem to show it.

(b) How does the update get triggered? Automatically (and under what conditions)? Manually (and how)?
Settings -> System information. From there you can tap on "display all updates" to see if there is anything.

Automatically. From the videos from Europe, the car will tell you when there is an update available. In the goodbye screen I believe.

2021 ID4 FE Mythic Black
I see they plan on making software a major revenue stream... They have their work cut out for them before that is anywhere near a reality. Currently, I would not pay a dime for any of it. Car-Net is a joke, the advanced voice / nav thing is a joke, the Verizon hotspot is worse than dial-up.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
8. The actual tire PSI should show on the screen. Currently the software only shows you that a tire is low, but it doesn't show you any of the numerical measurements.
They can't do that because the car doesn't know what the actual pressure is in any tire - There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels. The TPMS works by measuring the rotation of the wheels. If one tire goes lower than the others, that wheel rotates faster than the others and the car knows it's a low tire. It's important to reset the TPMS system when you air up the tires to the pressure you want in them

Don

Are you sure about that? I thought US required TPMS sensors. I know Europe does not and uses the rotation computation but I thought all modern US cars had the sensors

They can't do that because the car doesn't know what the actual pressure is in any tire - There are no TPMS sensors in the wheels. The TPMS works by measuring the rotation of the wheels. If one tire goes lower than the others, that wheel rotates faster than the others and the car knows it's a low tire. It's important to reset the TPMS system when you air up the tires to the pressure you want in them

Don
I think the ID.4's TPMS is weak at best. I had a Nissan Rogue before and it's TPMS showed the actual tire pressure in PSI for each tire at the same time. One time I was on the highway and hit something and watched the readout of the TPMS and sure enough the left rear tire pressure was taking a dive so I was able to safely get off the road before it went completely flat. How is the one on the ID.4 going to save my life?

Hi,
Good points everyone. I would like to request a feature to entertainment.
like Tesla (Never owned one, but I heard), while you are stationary and charging vehicle, I would like Android Auto (or Apple Carplay) to show video apps options so we can watch a video on youtube, a series on netflix etc. Living in Norway, we have wide range of EV chargers everywhere ranging from 11KWH to 50KWH, but higher than this, the options are limited. Suppose I am parked at a 50KWH it will take roughly 45min to 1hour to charge (enough) for the next elapse.

I have also noticed it is very hard to park carefully with my ID4. It is possible this is a feature bug which is on the way of fixing with nest OTA which is scheduled for Norway in October. When parking and carefully driving forward while watching the camera to park as close to the wall as possible. Car has sometimes made such a sudden stop that I was sure I hit something, and looking at the screen Autohold is on. Like in regular cars, you keep the foot on brake padel to "creep" slower than car's normal "neutral" speed, and at sometime, Autohold kicks in.

So to summarize,

1) Video apps when car is stationary in (P) mode
2) Parking thing as I mentioned.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
Are you sure about that? I thought US required TPMS sensors. I know Europe does not and uses the rotation computation but I thought all modern US cars had the sensors
From Page 295 of the owners manual

Function Description
Using the ABS sensors, the Tire Pressure Monitoring System compares the RPM and thus the rolling circumference of the individual tires.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System will not work if the ESC or ABS is malfunctioning

Calibrating the Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The Tire Pressure Monitoring System must be recalibrated under the following conditions:
  • If the tire pressure were adjusted
  • If one or more wheels were changed
  • If one or more wheels were repaired
  • If the wheels were rotated, for example from front to rear

. . . . which we aren't supposed to do anyway. But, we should have all checked, adjusted and recalibrated our tire pressures at least once by now

Don

41 - 60 of 77 Posts