Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a solar charger for the ID.4 be a possibility? I would connect to the DC fast charging port. I may have access to about 10k watts of solar panels for about $2500.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
732 Posts
Would a solar charger for the ID.4 be a possibility? I would connect to the DC fast charging port. I may have access to about 10k watts of solar panels for about $2500.
You would need some custom circuitry to make this work.

We have a 9.75kW solar system - when it is going in the middle of a sunny day, the inverter is seeing around 350VDC. In theory one could connect this to the car directly, but in practice it is far more complicated than this. We are just letting the inverter convert to 240VAC, and then the EVSE to charge the car just like everyone else.

·
385 Posts
Yes its possible. I have a 2.1kw solar trailer I made to charge my ID.4. Its L1 not DCFC which would cost a lot more, but the slow L1 charge of 50 mi/day is fine for me unless on a road trip. I will post pics. Its a state of the art 15 years ago used off grid system with outback 3600 watt inverter, MPPT charge control and a battery bank. This uses the 120v cord that comes with the ID.4, and it could also power my house during power outages.

It would be tricky to use the DCFC port since it has a complex way to communicate with the charger to taper the charge based on the battery temp. The 22kw bi-directional charger/inverter that VW is showing off for next year would be nice for this.

Reactions: Dana

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
434 Posts
Same here like @ErickF posted, we go with AC into an EVSE.
It sounds intriguing to bypass DC-AC-DC conversion and use all the power, but the safety stuff to keep the car happy scares me. Maybe the future will bring more useful equipment?

Reactions: gorj

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
435 Posts
You would need some custom circuitry to make this work.

We have a 9.75kW solar system - when it is going in the middle of a sunny day, the inverter is seeing around 350VDC. In theory one could connect this to the car directly, but in practice it is far more complicated than this. We are just letting the inverter convert to 240VAC, and then the EVSE to charge the car just like everyone else.
Our solar system is composed of micro inverters that immediately output AC that is ganged up to the main breaker. It simplifies the system in some ways not having a huge inverter.

Reactions: Swimrwo

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an electrical engineering background and am also a retired IT so I have some grasp of the technology involved in moving from solar energy to the charging of an ID4. I am hoping that in time equipment will evolve to make this possible without converting DC energy to AC to charge DC batteries in a vehicle. We will see.

·
131 Posts
I have an electrical engineering background and am also a retired IT so I have some grasp of the technology involved in moving from solar energy to the charging of an ID4. I am hoping that in time equipment will evolve to make this possible without converting DC energy to AC to charge DC batteries in a vehicle. We will see.
If you can write the code to get the charger and the car to do the “handshake” you’ll make some serious money.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I see the appeal of this on paper. But we are dealing with roughly 10kW of electricity. That kind of power always gives me pause.

·
434 Posts
The SolarEdge EVSE on your solar installer’s website is just another L2 unit, absolutely nothing special about it. Don’t be fooled, and don’t think you lost out.
For the record, my inverter is a SolarEdge and I like it. No complaints about the company or my installer whatsoever.

Reactions: Spin and ericy

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
For the record, my inverter is a SolarEdge and I like it. No complaints about the company or my installer whatsoever.
Same here. In my mind, it actually helps to keep the EVSE out of the inverter - it makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After starting this thread I have done some research and I have come to the conclusion that having a solar system large enough to produce enough power for a type 2 EVSE would not be cost effective at this time. I am going to setup a solar system to generate enough power for my type 1 EVSE. Often the VW is idle for several days and the type 1 EVSE could keep it charged enough for short runs.

·
434 Posts
I think you are overthinking all of this. Do you have net metering where you are?
If so, size the solar system to produce enough electricity per year for your house (reference your last year bills), and the car (reference your current mi/kWh and your annual mileage for the estimate). Sometimes you will produce more than you need and feed into the grid, and sometimes you consume extra electricity from the grid. All in all you should come out even.
This will optimize your cost all around, incl. up front investment.

·
ID.4 FE GW
269 Posts
I think you are overthinking all of this. Do you have net metering where you are?
If so, size the solar system to produce enough electricity per year for your house (reference your last year bills), and the car (reference your current mi/kWh and your annual mileage for the estimate). Sometimes you will produce more than you need and feed into the grid, and sometimes you consume extra electricity from the grid. All in all you should come out even.
This will optimize your cost all around, incl. up front investment.
The trick is to sell significant solar-generated power back to the grid at a rate that is higher than the one you use when you charge your car. PG&E (in Norcal) has gotten pretty wise to that and it is getting harder to do that - would have to produce significant power after 3-4 pm depending on the particular TOU plan.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
128 Posts
@TPG re:pGE - both reasons that I installed a couple of Tesla Powerwalls - uncertain of PGE’s ability to provide reliable power and for 99% of the days, I’m covering 3pm-Midnight with battery power (those are my peak and partial-peak times). Most days my batteries are recovered to 100% before Noon so I also cover much of my current day’s load from the solar.

Reactions: ericy

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@TPG re:pGE - both reasons that I installed a couple of Tesla Powerwalls - uncertain of PGE’s ability to provide reliable power and for 99% of the days, I’m covering 3pm-Midnight with battery power (those are my peak and partial-peak times). Most days my batteries are recovered to 100% before Noon so I also cover much of my current day’s load from the solar.
How long will it take for you break even on your Powerwalls?

·
96 Posts
The folks on this thread know something about solar and EVSE's. Since May '17 been charging my Bolt with Siemens Model VG2 EVSE (build date 1817), 30 amp on 40 amp circuit. I never use the charge settings from inside the Bolt, just the time delay settings on the EVSE itself: now, 2 hr, 4 hr, 6 hr, or 8 hour. I should do the same thing once my ID.4 arrives too, right? I mean the Siemens EVSE might not be totally compatible with the ID.4 just as I suppose it is not with my '17 Bolt (now 86k miles).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts