Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two stats that stood out to me:
1. They showed actual test results showing that their battery cells can charge from 0 to 80% capacity in 15 minutes.
2. Solid-state batteries have often lacked in longevity, but QuantumScape has already shown that it can retain over 80% capacity after 800 cycles. In an electric vehicle with 300 miles of range, that would result in 240,000 miles before the battery pack would start degrading below 80% of its original capacity. After a quarter-million miles, you'd still have 240 miles per charge available.

Tesla co-founder on QuantumScape's new battery: it's a breakthrough (electrek.co)

·
691 Posts
I also like the fact they are lighter, have a greater energy density and operate better at lower temperatures. The are planning on having them available by 2025, gives me more reason to think about a lease rather than purchase of the ID.4.

Reactions: 1123 and vwid4

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
704 Posts
I also like the fact they are lighter, have a greater energy density and operate better at lower temperatures. The are planning on having them available by 2025, gives me more reason to think about a lease rather than purchase of the ID.4.
It's like buying a computer, the next model in six months will always be better. The question is when do you need what kind of performance?

But that's besides the point for me, I am happy with what the ID.4 does today. However, it is exciting to see real world data on a multitude of cells that is so much better than anything we have now, and it is exciting too that VW is the main investor and likely beneficiary.

·
53 Posts
1. They showed actual test results showing that their battery cells can charge from 0 to 80% capacity in 15 minutes.
2. Solid-state batteries have often lacked in longevity, but QuantumScape has already shown that it can retain over 80% capacity after 800 cycles. In an electric vehicle with 300 miles of range, that would result in 240,000 miles before the battery pack would start degrading below 80% of its original capacity. After a quarter-million miles, you'd still have 240 miles per charge available.

Tesla co-founder on QuantumScape's new battery: it's a breakthrough (electrek.co)
Check their stock symbol QS and is up over 20% today

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Check their stock symbol QS and is up over 20% today
I bought QS (when it was still KCAC SPAC) two months ago at $16.00. I am very happy with their returns and nice to see progress they are making. It is part of my "green" portfolio.

Reactions: vwid4

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
704 Posts
Lets wait until they have something real to show
Exactly. Right now it seems solid state battery announcements are rampant. But nothing usable exists outside of the labs. Besides, I seem to remember that Toyota was critical of fully electric vehicles as recently as half a year ago. I wonder what changed their minds?

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vwid4 - Just noting potential coming technologies & the anticipated improvements in battery charging. Many people complain about charging rates, but only know about plugging into a 110 circuit. Doing my part to spread the knowledge about upcoming technologies, and it's the 2nd article I've seen about solid state batteries in the last week... Obviously something's going on in the research.

·
161 Posts

This numbers are little overrated are you using battery from 100-0% and getting always 300 miles per charge......800 sessions cycle to drop 20% is not really great. I do definitely see more robust designs and more tolerance to temperature changes in solid state batteries and definitely great savings to EV makers.

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This numbers are little overrated are you using battery from 100-0% and getting always 300 miles per charge......800 sessions cycle to drop 20% is not really great. I do definitely see more robust designs and more tolerance to temperature changes in solid state batteries and definitely great savings to EV makers.
I'm not sure I agree with your "not really great" comment. 800 sessions times 300 miles per charge equates out to 240k miles, which for me is over 20 years of car ownership. If I still have 80% range after over two decades of car ownership, I'd be quite pleased. I'd say I got my money's worth & then some. But I won't own this car by then, I'll have moved on to another car. And whoever owns it at that point will probably get a sweetheart deal & think they've got a great commuter car that costs them next to nothing to run.

Or am mis-reading your comment?

·
161 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with your "not really great" comment. 800 sessions times 300 miles per charge equates out to 240k miles, which for me is over 20 years of car ownership. If I still have 80% range after over two decades of car ownership, I'd be quite pleased. I'd say I got my money's worth & then some. But I won't own this car by then, I'll have moved on to another car. And whoever owns it at that point will probably get a sweetheart deal & think they've got a great commuter car that costs them next to nothing to run.

Or am mis-reading your comment?
Definitely not understood my post....
Most drive cycles are between 100-15% or less if on trip using fast charging....so we are talking around 70-90% Battery energy used.
There will be no way that all users would drive from 100-0% to show this figures on 800 cycle criteria. And regarding to second hand owner especially when battery is out warranty will have hard time for owner to justify purchase that could cost him 25 000 dollars for HV DC battery if needed replacement. Nothing out of ordinary to see this days cost of labor over 120 dollars per hour working on EV....Not many people can afford this type of expense. And for people who can change cars every 30+ months are still going under warranty .....

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely not understood my post....
Most drive cycles are between 100-15% or less if on trip using fast charging....so we are talking around 70-90% Battery energy used.
There will be no way that all users would drive from 100-0% to show this figures on 800 cycle criteria. And regarding to second hand owner especially when battery is out warranty will have hard time for owner to justify purchase that could cost him 25 000 dollars for HV DC battery if needed replacement. Nothing out of ordinary to see this days cost of labor over 120 dollars per hour working on EV....Not many people can afford this type of expense. And for people who can change cars every 30+ months are still going under warranty .....
I (and others) equate one battery cycle of using 100% of the battery, whether it's used in one session (unlikely) or used 10-15% at a time commuting while being charged in between (much more likely), thus much more likely to hit 300 miles. I've read that here and other forums. So, back to my original assertion, still having 80% of your range after 20 years is pretty darn good.

·
161 Posts
I (and others) equate one battery cycle of using 100% of the battery, whether it's used in one session (unlikely) or used 10-15% at a time commuting while being charged in between (much more likely), thus much more likely to hit 300 miles. I've read that here and other forums. So, back to my original assertion, still having 80% of your range after 20 years is pretty darn good.
You can easily hit 200 plug and charge in less than year charging in incremental SOC...Even if there is difference in charging all the way from empty to full..... it will still affect life for actual 800 sessions before dropping to 80%.
In Europe where I have conducted research with other Tesla engineering team .... Tesla S or X with 100 kWh will loose only 3-7% on Battery SOH after 100 000 km...considering that there where only 1200 kWh delivered using Fast DC charging and rest of 22000+ Kwh was charged at Tesla destinations charger.
If we take Tesla battery buffer from equation that is 7%.....or disappeared buffer that replenished initial battery degradation is 3%
So today's battery we have in use are not bad at all vs solid state battery that will have to prove over time.
I started my career at Rimac and now working for Tesla....also work part-time for VW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts