Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two stats that stood out to me:
1. They showed actual test results showing that their battery cells can charge from 0 to 80% capacity in 15 minutes.
2. Solid-state batteries have often lacked in longevity, but QuantumScape has already shown that it can retain over 80% capacity after 800 cycles. In an electric vehicle with 300 miles of range, that would result in 240,000 miles before the battery pack would start degrading below 80% of its original capacity. After a quarter-million miles, you'd still have 240 miles per charge available.

Tesla co-founder on QuantumScape's new battery: it's a breakthrough (electrek.co)

·
351 Posts
I also like the fact they are lighter, have a greater energy density and operate better at lower temperatures. The are planning on having them available by 2025, gives me more reason to think about a lease rather than purchase of the ID.4.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
211 Posts
I also like the fact they are lighter, have a greater energy density and operate better at lower temperatures. The are planning on having them available by 2025, gives me more reason to think about a lease rather than purchase of the ID.4.
It's like buying a computer, the next model in six months will always be better. The question is when do you need what kind of performance?

But that's besides the point for me, I am happy with what the ID.4 does today. However, it is exciting to see real world data on a multitude of cells that is so much better than anything we have now, and it is exciting too that VW is the main investor and likely beneficiary.

·
45 Posts
Two stats that stood out to me:
1. They showed actual test results showing that their battery cells can charge from 0 to 80% capacity in 15 minutes.
2. Solid-state batteries have often lacked in longevity, but QuantumScape has already shown that it can retain over 80% capacity after 800 cycles. In an electric vehicle with 300 miles of range, that would result in 240,000 miles before the battery pack would start degrading below 80% of its original capacity. After a quarter-million miles, you'd still have 240 miles per charge available.

Tesla co-founder on QuantumScape's new battery: it's a breakthrough (electrek.co)
Check their stock symbol QS and is up over 20% today

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
275 Posts
Check their stock symbol QS and is up over 20% today
I bought QS (when it was still KCAC SPAC) two months ago at $16.00. I am very happy with their returns and nice to see progress they are making. It is part of my "green" portfolio.

Reactions: vwid4

·
ID.4 1st Blue
211 Posts
Lets wait until they have something real to show
Exactly. Right now it seems solid state battery announcements are rampant. But nothing usable exists outside of the labs. Besides, I seem to remember that Toyota was critical of fully electric vehicles as recently as half a year ago. I wonder what changed their minds?

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vwid4 - Just noting potential coming technologies & the anticipated improvements in battery charging. Many people complain about charging rates, but only know about plugging into a 110 circuit. Doing my part to spread the knowledge about upcoming technologies, and it's the 2nd article I've seen about solid state batteries in the last week... Obviously something's going on in the research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts