Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

2021 VW ID.4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting experience with my daughter's ID.4 this morning and thought I'd share in case others run into a similar issue.

My daughter was getting ready to leave for school this morning and could not get the charging cable to come out of the charge port. She plugs into a Grizzl-e L2 charger mounted to the outside of our house and it has been working flawlessly for months. I went out and tried the usual pressing the unlock button multiple times... nothing. I got into the drivers seat and pressed the "stop charging" button... nothing. I tried pulling the emergency charging cable release in the rear... nothing. So, I called the Volkswagen dealer where we purchased the vehicle and their response was something to behold.

After explaining to the service technician everything I had tried, his suggestion was for me to remove the L2 charger from the side of my house, put it through the window of the car, and drive it to them to diagnose the issue. :oops: What if this had happened at a location where the charger wasn't mine or where the charging station is a large pedestal that wouldn't "fit through the window"? :rolleyes: Frustrated by what I felt was a completely ridiculous response, I just hung up and called Volkswagen roadside assistance.

While waiting for roadside assistance, I decided to try troubleshooting the issue one more time. I could see the actuator in the charge port was retracted, but I could tell the latch on the cable itself just wasn't coming up enough to clear the catch in the charge port and that was the whole issue. I found a tool I could reach in and fit under the cable latch to push it up further while trying to remove the cable and it came out without issue. I even plugged the charging cable back in and removed it and wasn't able to reproduce the issue with it getting stuck, so it seems to have been a complete fluke.

tldr; This wasn't the typical stuck charging cable issue I've seen or experienced previously and Volkswagen (or at least their dealership network) has some work to do on how they respond to issues like this.

ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
306 Posts
I've heard of somebody else (here or FB) having a similar issue and had to charge their car to 100% to trigger the "auto-unlock when finished" mechanism. They tried unlock via fob, unlock via console, emergency latch unlock, etc.

Is there any way to trigger the charging to lock manually? (the opposite of unlock).

2021 VW ID.4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue ultimately wasn't on the car side, but with the latch mechanism in the charging cable itself. Other than the unacceptable response from VW, I figured I'd share so others know to check the latch on the charging cable if they ever run into an issue where none of the typical solutions seem to work.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
I like the "put the charger through the window" solution, it's creative thinking and why not? I wouldn't really expect my dealer to send a mechanic out to my house unless all other options are exhaused.

I have a Grizzl-e as well, haven't had this problem yet but I'll keep this "latch trick" in mind. Thanks.

2021 VW ID.4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. I wasn't necessarily expecting the dealer to send someone out, although that would have been ideal. I kinda figured they'd point me to Volkswagen roadside assistance, but the service technician I spoke to made the comment that he didn't see the point in calling VW roadside assistance because they'd just have to do the same thing. I honestly don't believe the car would even attempt to move since it was still sensing a charging cable in the port, so it just showed a complete lack of understanding of the issue or even the product they are selling and servicing.

The Grizzl-e charger has been great aside from this one hiccup, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

2022 BMW iX - 2022 Rivian R1T - 2023 Mini Cooper SE - 2021 ID.4 Pro (Sold)
497 Posts
Would the car even start with the charger connected, even if not plugged in to AC current? Just really curious how it is detecting that a charger is attached (resistance, voltage, etc). I thought the car had a safety feature where you can't move it with a charger attached.

80 Posts
Grizzl-E has acknowledged that there was a tolerance issue with the J1772 connector that could cause a problem. All new shipments have a revised design. If you contact them I'm sure they will exchange the charger immediately.

2021 VW ID.4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grizzl-E has acknowledged that there was a tolerance issue with the J1772 connector that could cause a problem. All new shipments have a revised design. If you contact them I'm sure they will exchange the charger immediately.
That is good to know. I'd certainly categorize this as a tolerance issue with the connector. I still can't reproduce the behavior, so I'm not sure what triggered it, but thanks for letting us know!

68 Posts
I don't see a problem with what the tech recommended. At the end of the day the problem was with the charging cable and not the car. Silver lining... you probably would have been charged for the tech appt. Good job troubleshooting the problem. Very few these days know how to do that.

43 Posts
I don't see a problem with what the tech recommended. At the end of the day the problem was with the charging cable and not the car. Silver lining... you probably would have been charged for the tech appt. Good job troubleshooting the problem. Very few these days know how to do that.
If your EVSE is hard wired, I don’t see too many people tearing apart their wiring to remove the charger from the wall. Also, I’m assuming the car won’t even move with a charging cable attached (I know a Tesla won’t).

Mobile service from Tesla is a huge benefit for items like this. I had my chargeport door where it would not close. They sent someone out to replace the part in my garage.

I think mobile service is something the traditional dealers/OEMs might need to look into with more and more EVs coming out.

Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
6,543 Posts
Here's the relevant thread re: Grizzl-e, starting with post #53: EVSE Plug Stuck in ID.4 Charge Port

I thought this had its own thread but looks like it's all buried in a larger "stuck charging handle" discussion.

43 Posts
I had an interesting experience with my daughter's ID.4 this morning and thought I'd share in case others run into a similar issue.

My daughter was getting ready to leave for school this morning and could not get the charging cable to come out of the charge port. She plugs into a Grizzl-e L2 charger mounted to the outside of our house and it has been working flawlessly for months. I went out and tried the usual pressing the unlock button multiple times... nothing. I got into the drivers seat and pressed the "stop charging" button... nothing. I tried pulling the emergency charging cable release in the rear... nothing. So, I called the Volkswagen dealer where we purchased the vehicle and their response was something to behold.

After explaining to the service technician everything I had tried, his suggestion was for me to remove the L2 charger from the side of my house, put it through the window of the car, and drive it to them to diagnose the issue. :oops: What if this had happened at a location where the charger wasn't mine or where the charging station is a large pedestal that wouldn't "fit through the window"? :rolleyes: Frustrated by what I felt was a completely ridiculous response, I just hung up and called Volkswagen roadside assistance.

While waiting for roadside assistance, I decided to try troubleshooting the issue one more time. I could see the actuator in the charge port was retracted, but I could tell the latch on the cable itself just wasn't coming up enough to clear the catch in the charge port and that was the whole issue. I found a tool I could reach in and fit under the cable latch to push it up further while trying to remove the cable and it came out without issue. I even plugged the charging cable back in and removed it and wasn't able to reproduce the issue with it getting stuck, so it seems to have been a complete fluke.

tldr; This wasn't the typical stuck charging cable issue I've seen or experienced previously and Volkswagen (or at least their dealership network) has some work to do on how they respond to issues like this.
I had an issue with a Level 2 ChargePoint charger at a store today that sounds similar but with a different outcome. I plugged the charger in and left my car for 20 minutes. When I returned, the charger had not actually charged and the red light on the ID.4 charging port was on so I could not unplug the charger. I tried the usual hit the open button three times fast routine but nothing seemed to work. I called my VW dealer and talked to a service rep. She talked to their service technician who had a few other suggestions on the phone. Nothing worked. Since I was not too far from the dealership the VW service rep suggested that she and the technician drive over and see if they could fix the problem. They arrived relatively quickly and the technician was able to fiddle with the release button on the ChargePoint charger to get it to release. I drove home and plugged the car into my garage L2 charger to make sure there was no charging issue with the car. It worked perfectly fine. Thank you Wellesley Volkswagen for the help.

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,531 Posts
The very first time I tried out my new GoPlug Pro 32 EVSE I had a similar experience. I plugged it in for 10 minutes and then tried to unplug it to stop charging and it wouldn't let me. I thought, Oh crap! What now? That's when I found out I had to tell the car I wanted to stop charging so it would release it. What a relief!

Don

348 Posts
Yep.
Happened to me with the Grizzl-E. Got stuck and even broke the cable release.
Contacted Grizzl-E and they shipped a revised level 2 charger ASAP. VW fixed the release cable and Grizzl-E acknowledged that German automakers have very little wiggle room when it comes to the J1772 port.

348 Posts
You get it fixed yet? I broke mine, too. First week. I'll ask about it when it goes in for the 10k service.
Yes.
I took a pic of the release cable and sent it to the dealership to see if the same could be reattached just to save me a double trip for the fix. I was told the tech would need to see the cable and then he would be directly in touch with VW to sort out the process so the pic did no good. One trip to the dealership (100 miles both ways) for a 20 minute assessment and to tell me they would need to order another and about a 2 hour wait on the return trip for the fix a week later.

· Super Moderator
6,572 Posts
As you may know, our ChargePoint Flex home EVSE plug doesn't have its own vehicle latch pin, rather relying on the ID.4's solenoid. I had assumed that their commercial L2 was a similar configuration. It's odd that the plug button itself would hamper removal, but then it too is a mechanical interaction.
I went back to factory ID.4 charge settings, save for 80% Max, soon after purchase and since have not had to do anything special to release my plug. When I come out to the garage in the morning the status light is off and plug button easily detaches same.

I continue to hear good things about Wellesley VW and this adds to that list. :)(y)

btw: we know that there is at least one other EVSE brand out there which, at least initially, had a too tight plug-socket fit tolerance, but not an issue with Chargepoint.
btw(2): I went with home Chargepoint last November simply because my local Coastal VW in Hanover had same. They have since added more (my salesman has been good about sending me such updates).
I had an issue with a Level 2 ChargePoint charger at a store today that sounds similar but with a different outcome. I plugged the charger in and left my car for 20 minutes. When I returned, the charger had not actually charged and the red light on the ID.4 charging port was on so I could not unplug the charger. I tried the usual hit the open button three times fast routine but nothing seemed to work. I called my VW dealer and talked to a service rep. She talked to their service technician who had a few other suggestions on the phone. Nothing worked. Since I was not too far from the dealership the VW service rep suggested that she and the technician drive over and see if they could fix the problem. They arrived relatively quickly and the technician was able to fiddle with the release button on the ChargePoint charger to get it to release. I drove home and plugged the car into my garage L2 charger to make sure there was no charging issue with the car. It worked perfectly fine. Thank you Wellesley Volkswagen for the help.

21, ID.4 Pro S, Scale Silver Metallic exterior
36 Posts
I had similar issue today at the charging station. I went to disconnect the charging cable and it wouldn't come out. I had the same red error indicator on the charge port. I called the EA assistant who suggested I try the lock/unlock method which didn't work. The assistant also suggested I power off the car. Which I had tried before with no success. I tried powering off the car again but this time using the push off and on. Doing that method worked. My guess is there was some sort of handshake fault.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts