Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fast forward to 14:45 to see the surround view camera in this German review. I don’t know what the guy is saying, but I love how it switches to the front camera when you switch it back into drive at low speeds.
Really hope VW brings this option stateside.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not count on it seeing how they cut a lot of features
I’m not either. This and the heat pump are the main reasons I haven’t pre-ordered. Hoping that in 2022 they’ll bring it.

I’d much rather omit the gradient appearance package for $1500 and pay $1500 to get surround view camera instead on the statement trim. I’m sure it wouldn’t even be that much extra anyway. Argh.

I’m worried that VWAG is reserving some luxury features for the upcoming Audi Q4 E-Tron which will essentially be an Audi version of the ID.4... This is what they do now between VW and Audi models. Irks me a lot.

·
170 Posts
I’m worried that VWAG is reserving some luxury features for the upcoming Audi Q4 E-Tron which will essentially be an Audi version of the ID.4... This is what they do now between VW and Audi models. Irks me a lot.
You can almost bet that's what's going to happen and which is why Audi will be getting likely my money when I decide to pull trigger on purchase.

Spending this amount of money and getting subpar product makes it hard for me to justify the spend.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can almost bet that's what's going to happen and which is why Audi will be getting likely my money when I decide to pull trigger on purchase.

Spending this amount of money and getting subpar product makes it hard for me to justify the spend.
On Q4 you’ll probably have to spend $65k to get these kinds of features though. And I’m sure the lower trim Q4’s won’t be as well equipped as the ID.4. (If it’s anything like Audi’s ICE lineup)

Time will tell I guess. The Tiguan has a surround view camera so I’m honestly surprised the ID.4 is omitting it in top spec.

·
170 Posts
Comparing Q4 with current eTron most of stuff I want is in the middle trim so I'm hoping for 55k total there with AWD so not much more than fully species ID.4

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
93 Posts
Will the Q4 really only be a 4-seater, though? That takes it off my list if true, and probably dooms it in my opinion. The concept looks good otherwise, and the preliminary specs are great.

Also, like the heat pump, the around view camera is not coming to the US, at least not for 2021.

·
170 Posts
I did not see any information on it being 4 seater but it would be a deal breaker for me indeed.

Where did you get information on heat pump? I don't care personally about the surround camera.

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
93 Posts
I did not see any information on it being 4 seater but it would be a deal breaker for me indeed.

Where did you get information on heat pump? I don't care personally about the surround camera.
My dealer confirmed that there would not be a heat pump for the US, but it has also been discussed extensively in another thread. See e.g. Heat pump

As for the Audi being a 4-seater, see e.g. the Car and Driver review of the concept where they state: "The Q4 e-tron concept is strictly a four-seater...". They also refer to 4 seats on the Audi concept page at the end of the description of the interior.

Reactions: mmmzon

·
593 Posts
Does anybody know how the surround view is activated? Does one need to dig thru a few layers of menu's to get to it? Or is it a one button on the dash to activate? My X5 is set up with one button next to the shifter to activate, which I like. Since most everything on the ID.4 seems to be menu driven. If I have to dig thru several layers of menus to activate surround view... it won't be worth the aggravation to me.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
790 Posts
In my wife's Benz GLA the surround view is a few menu's needing to be traversed. She really liked it when demo'g the vehicle but never uses it now. 🤷‍♂️
Does anybody know how the surround view is activated? Does one need to dig thru a few layers of menu's to get to it? Or is it a one button on the dash to activate? My X5 is set up with one button next to the shifter to activate, which I like. Since most everything on the ID.4 seems to be menu driven. If I have to dig thru several layers of menus to activate surround view... it won't be worth the aggravation to me.

·
593 Posts
In my wife's Benz GLA the surround view is a few menu's needing to be traversed. She really liked it when demo'g the vehicle but never uses it now. 🤷‍♂️
Which is my point. If it is buried in several layers of menus, it won't be used. I just saw that UK owners manuals have been posted, maybe they will give a clue.
EDIT: According to the UK users manual, 2 buttons need to be pressed to pull up the surround (area) view. More may be needed to configure which cameras you want to look at. See page 188 in UK UM.

Reactions: Huey52

·
217 Posts
On Q4 you’ll probably have to spend $65k to get these kinds of features though. And I’m sure the lower trim Q4’s won’t be as well equipped as the ID.4. (If it’s anything like Audi’s ICE lineup)

Time will tell I guess. The Tiguan has a surround view camera so I’m honestly surprised the ID.4 is omitting it in top spec.
It seems that the German luxury car makers business plan is to make it very hard to avoid adding expensive "options" and any car on the floor will have them. But, an ordered "base" Audi will likely have as standard many of the things that will be part of upper tier VW's. At trade-in time, the stripper Audi will have retained more of it's cost than an upper tier VW. So, if you are looking at total life cycle costs over 5 years, the stripper Audi ends up costing less; plus you have had the benefit of the Audi nameplate for that time. Usually, none of us are able avoid loading up on the options.

The magazines are saying the base price of the Q4 e-Tron is going to be $45K--about the same as the FE. Will it have AWD as standard? Probably. If these predictions turn out to be true, an AWD ID.4 Pro might not be such a good buy. So, I expect the base price on the Audi is going to be a lot closer to $50K and need to add $5K in options or higher-level trim to get the features we are all hoping that VW adds to the ID.4. To get to $45K, the Audi would have to be RWD and that is not in Audi's DNA. And, features like surround-view, Heat Pump et. al will be in a higher tier like "Prestige". A price of $65K is beginning to encroach on the base e-Tron, so it would have to be the highest trim level. The 2019 e-Trons have been discounted up to $14K, so I think Audi will have a hard time selling $65K Q4 e-Trons.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
790 Posts
I've never been able to buy a base Audi Premium. For me the Premium Plus has been the sweet spot as far as what I wanted in options but still below the ludicrous Prestige price point

Come to think of it, the mid-level Apple computer has always been my bang for the buck choice as well. ;)

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never been able to buy a base Audi Premium. For me the Premium Plus has been the sweet spot as far as what I wanted in options but still below the ludicrous Prestige price point

Come to think of it, the mid-level Apple computer has always been my bang for the buck choice as well. ;)
Exactly what I’m expecting as well if it’s anything like the VW Tiguan vs Audi Q5. Top spec ID.4 is $48k. Similar optioned Q4 will probably be $58k to $62k, and a Q4 with all the features, like surround view camera, will be in the mid $60k to $70k range. And then from there the big E-Tron will take over.

in the ICE world. The top spec Tiguan is $40k, and a base Q5 is $44k. But to get all the features that top spec Tiguan has. You need to spend $50k for the Q5 premium plus trim, and if you want more features (that aren’t available on Tiguan top spec) you need to get the Q5 prestige trim. Which is $55k... $15k+/- more than the top of the line Tiguan.

So I’d expect the ID.4 and Q4 to be similar, and I don’t expect the Q4 to be the better buy in base spec. It will probably be severely lacking in features like the Q5 base.

·
170 Posts
My dealer confirmed that there would not be a heat pump for the US, but it has also been discussed extensively in another thread. See e.g. Heat pump

As for the Audi being a 4-seater, see e.g. the Car and Driver review of the concept where they state: "The Q4 e-tron concept is strictly a four-seater...". They also refer to 4 seats on the Audi concept page at the end of the description of the interior.
As far as 4 versus 5 seater on Q4 goes, it gets confusing. The concept car was a 4 seater, which can be easily seen on the images and also in quoted text. However, some of recent articles with all the spy photos clearly reference it as a 5 seater. For example, 2022 Audi Q4 E-tron: Design, Performance & Everything Else We Know About The Electrified Compact SUV | Carscoops states "Inside, the spacious 5-seat cabin promises to be one of the best EV interiors in the business." - I honestly think that releasing a 4 seater at this price would be a shot in their own knees. The space is there, clearly, it is just the concept had an odd-ball back seat layout is seems.

As far as heat pump is concerned - even the first eTron year model in US had head pump day one, which allowed them to get extra miles from the same battery park due to decreased need to run heating elements for cabin air conditioning. I would only assume the Q4 eTron will use the same approach to achieve the target range

1 - 20 of 20 Posts