Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Do you need to upgrade just the software or do you need to upgrade the dongle as well? I have had VCDS since 2003 and I need to upgrade both.
I was told I needed an upgraded dongle. They have an upgrade program so you can get a newer one at a reduced price. They now have a "Enthusiasts" version that is limited to the number of VINs that you can scan, but what you get is a substantially reduced price.

That said, your HEX+CAN doesn't work with 2019 and newer vehicles as explained here:

Why Upgrade?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
I was told I needed an upgraded dongle. They have an upgrade program so you can get a newer one at a reduced price. They now have a "Enthusiasts" version that is limited to the number of VINs that you can scan, but what you get is a substantially reduced price.
I have both the Genuine ROSS-TECH HEX+CAN unlimited VINs and the VCDS HEX-V2 Enthusiast 3 VINs and I already used all 3 VINs. I'm thinking of selling the ROSS-TECH HEX+CAN to upgrade the VIN count.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
Do you need to upgrade just the software or do you need to upgrade the dongle as well? I have had VCDS since 2003 and I need to upgrade both.
You need the new hardware. I just upgraded mine for the same reason, and the older ones will apparently not work on 2020+ cars. The upgrade program is pretty simple, but will cost you $249 for the 10 VIN limited, so not as restrictive as the 3 VIN versions. Even if you run out of VINs on that one the price to go to unlimited later is the same as if you buy unlimited at first so no risk to start small. I went with the HEX-NET wireless one and it seems to work great, nice to not have the cord to worry about and to be able to use a phone or tablet when needed. From reading their forums it looks like they car read ID series vehicles, not sure how much manipulation there is right now though.

I am more worried about the new security protocols that are being implemented in the name of security from hacking, or in other words forcing you to go to the dealer. But Massachusetts just passed a law that requires manufacturers to let customers/small shops be able to access and diagnose cars. Positive step and things are still shaking out.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
From reading their forums it looks like they car read ID series vehicles, not sure how much manipulation there is right now though.
There are people in the UK that are using it on the ID.3 series - it sounds like it is sort of a work in progress however, but it sort of seems like they are having some success.

The HEX-CAN that I currently have is adequate for my wife's 2015 Golf - I am holding off an upgrade until the ID.4 arrives.

·
6 Posts
Service is also my main concern. I have an AWD pro reservation and never heard from the Boulder, CO dealer at all when I selected them as they are the closest dealer to me. I have never owned a VW before so don't have first hand knowledge of where to take one for service. My brother has owned one and said the dealer I selected was terrible and he used an independent local German car repair shop. Not sure if those places will be trained in EV service and acceptable for warranty repairs. So if anybody has a recommendation for a good VW dealer/service location in NW metro Denver metro area please let me know.
Hello fellow Coloradan. Did you settle on a dealer or get a recommendation ? Got my ID4 over the weekend and was pondering over which dealer to connect with for service.

·
2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Nissan 300ZX
29 Posts
I ended up sticking with the Boulder dealer for now since they are the closest to me(delivery is still a ways off) If they don't match the Emich VW in Denver deal mentioned elsewhere in this forum I will just refuse delivery of the car. Did not get any recommendations.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts