Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Below is a quick link to a video I just made this morning. The Title of this post explains it all. I believe we discussed this in another thread and as promised, I jumped on seeing if this was possible as soon as I received my ID.4. It is 100% possible and here is how.

As a word of caution, please use this with the understanding that you will draw constant power from the 12v battery. If the 12v battery is drained below 12v's there is a strong probability that the ignition will not operate to energize the propulsion battery pack.

Fuse locations and descriptions start on page 264 of the U.S. owners manual. If you have a Right Hand Drive ID.4 the interior fuse panel is located behind the glove box, page 267 in the U.S. manual.

Video Link:

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Oof that pollen had me sneezing. The pine trees are probably going nuts right now! Anyway, great vid! Curious, how'd you find this out? It's weird because I swear my older VW's (late 90's, early 00's) left the 12v sockets on all the time, and VW change it at some point to have them switched. I also seem to recall that folks would leave accessories plugged into the always-on 12v sockets and then they'd cause issues when starting the car...but I could be imagining that.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
I wish there was a 12v outlet on the dash to power my radar detector.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
I wish there was a 12v outlet on the dash to power my radar detector.
How well is it working? Do all the radar sensors on the car cause issues?

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
How well is it working? Do all the radar sensors on the car cause issues?
I actually haven't tried the detector yet because I sent my Valentine 1 in to be upgraded to the new model. I don't expect to have it back for a few weeks because Valentine Research is backed up with upgrade orders. I'll let you know when I try it.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,571 Posts
btw: anyone yet hooked up an inverter to the rear 12VDC socket? Just curious.

·
84 Posts
I'm curious to know if setting the 12VDC socket to always on also affects the rear USB-C ports... that would be nice, though I doubt it will.

·
20 Posts
Below is a quick link to a video I just made this morning. The Title of this post explains it all. I believe we discussed this in another thread and as promised, I jumped on seeing if this was possible as soon as I received my ID.4. It is 100% possible and here is how.

As a word of caution, please use this with the understanding that you will draw constant power from the 12v battery. If the 12v battery is drained below 12v's there is a strong probability that the ignition will not operate to energize the propulsion battery pack.

Fuse locations and descriptions start on page 264 of the U.S. owners manual. If you have a Right Hand Drive ID.4 the interior fuse panel is located behind the glove box, page 267 in the U.S. manual.

Video Link:

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm curious to know if setting the 12VDC socket to always on also affects the rear USB-C ports... that would be nice, though I doubt it will.
That is my next challenge but I believe it is powered through the infotainment system. There is no separate fuse labeled for those outlets that I have seen. Once I get a USB-C cord I will play around with fuses.

I put 2 more videos up; cruise control 1MPH/5MPH increment selections and window switch operation. Need to start new threads for those.

·
407 Posts

Video Link:
That is the simplest mod I have ever seen. Thanks!

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts

Video Link:
I made a Howto for a Dashcam install where I show how to move the fuse to keep the cigarette lighter on all the time.

·
563 Posts
I made a Howto for a Dashcam install where I show how to move the fuse to keep the cigarette lighter on all the time.

My 2013 Jetta 12v socket was ignition switched.
After I installed my dash cam, I took my radar detector out. Can't use dash cam speed recording to convince the cop that you weren't speeding.

·
563 Posts
My 2013 Jetta 12v socket was ignition switched.
After I installed my dash cam, I took my radar detector out. Can't use dash cam speed recording to convince the cop that you weren't speeding.
Just installed my dash cam in upper left windshield. 13' power cord reached the 12v power plug in the rear with a 12v to USB-A converter.

·
563 Posts
That fuze box is nothing but 12 volts. Has to be a way to tap 12 volt from there and not run a 13 foot cord.
Probably, but the Garmin dash cam came with a 13' cord, Garmin connection to usb, so it worked out totally hidden. No splicing required.
As it is, no power is drawn when the ignition is off, and if it was permanently hot, no power drain, if nothing is connected to the 12v outlet 😁. KISS.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts