Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
286 Posts
I am a little concerned The higher resale is artificially inflated. When Tesla re sells a car they flip the switch that cost them nothing to add. features like full self driving (10k retail) , enhanced acceleration (2k retail) on a standard range they will turn on the heated back seats ($300) . Etc. also when we all can get the 7k rebate then that will automatically put a discount on the resale cars.
I don't understand how Tesla being able to add features to their used car sales artificially inflates trade in values?

As far as the additional federal credit, it will put a discount on resale cars, however, it will only be temporary as Tesla will go through the additional credits in just over a year so unless you plan on holding the car less than one year, the federal credit will be gone again by the time you are ready to sell.

·
29 Posts
I don't understand how Tesla being able to add features to their used car sales artificially inflates trade in values?

As far as the additional federal credit, it will put a discount on resale cars, however, it will only be temporary as Tesla will go through the additional credits in just over a year so unless you plan on holding the car less than one year, the federal credit will be gone again by the time you are ready to sell.
Values of anything rely on comparison averages. By adding highly priced items such as a 10k delft driving option they increase the comps.
Not trying to talk you out of what you want. Just putting the resale value into prospective.

·
6 Posts
? My US ID.4 1st Edition reservation lists a tow hitch in the configuration, and that's RWD not AWD.

EDIT: Sorry, trying to quote reply to @Melodiacoffee about tow hitch but mobile is terrible

·
58 Posts
I think the reinstatement of the rebate for Tesla will put pressure on the ID.4 pricing. The Chevy EUV being thousands less with the $7K is a bigger thread. Comes with good self-driving too. It is getting interesting in the EV space!

·
1 Posts
For an apples to apples comparison price wise you have to look at MY RWD SR and ID.4 FE or Pro S. You definitely get more features from VW and more range. As pointed out above, insurance and repair cost favor VW too. I love the clean look of the MY and Teslas in general, and really look forward to see the ID.4 up close. I think I’ll prefer the ID.4.

One could say that the supercharger network makes up for the 20 miles less range of the MY. And then there’s Tesla’s proven track record with software and updates.

I personally don’t care about acceleration, nor do I care for one pedal driving.

All told, I’m happy for EVs in general if Tesla and GM get the tax credit back, but it won’t change my mind.
Maybe one of my kids will get a MY, then you can occasionally enjoy it too...
I think the Tesla cam feature is the killer app for cars, and can help out in a sticky situation. I hope that the id.4 software can get this one day soon after launch, at least for the front and rear cameras.

·
15 Posts
Between the reported quality issues, reports of hard to get/find parts, distance to the nearest Tesla service center, I don't see myself ever owning a Tesla. I know VW's have their issues, I have had several since 2002. But at this point I know the sort of issues a VW will have, it is the devil you know vs the devil you don't.
Others experiences may be different from mine but I find I have far less issues with the German made VW’s over those made in NA. I know our NA plants are getting better, but I do take some comfort in knowing the current batch of ID.4’s are manufactured in VW’s German plants by EU workers and being imported. After all they have been producing ID electric vehicles for some time and say what you will, but every German engineer I have ever known in my life was pretty darn pedantic about things being right and engineered right. Probably why many of the early prototypes are so solid that the independent testers make a point of calling out how well built and solid these cars are.
Bottom line, Tesla’s are cool and awesome, Elon is a visionary, but their manufacturing is just not there yet. And I am not even tempted by the potential reboot of the tax credits. Like others I have a choice to purchase a MY, or the ID.4 or even the Mach-E and I chose the ID.4 because it is a well built car, by OCD engineers for a great price. I know VW is hungry to do good here in this space and distance themselves from Dieselgate. That and my wife said if I buy the Tesla she refuses to drive it, citing the difficulties of a single pane of glass dash and production quality issues.
Other than my other car, a Chevy Bolt, I am probably going to stay within the VW brand umbrella for a while. I really like what I see from VW, Audi and Porsche. That and this would be my 7th VW including 3 TDI’s (Ironic for an electric car driver to have).

·
66 Posts
Tesla just lowered the price of the Model Y Standard Range by $2,000 to $39,995 and is now $4,000 cheaper than the ID4 FE (if you discard the federal tax return that may or may not return)

·
65 Posts
Tesla just lowered the price of the Model Y Standard Range by $2,000 to $39,995 and is now $4,000 cheaper than the ID4 FE (if you discard the federal tax return that may or may not return)
That's awesome. It means Tesla is finally having to compete.

Personally, price won't sway me. I'm buying the ID.4 for features the Tesla doesn't have - body shape, physical controls, Apple/Android/Sirius, a few more.

·
7 Posts
That's awesome. It means Tesla is finally having to compete.

Personally, price won't sway me. I'm buying the ID.4 for features the Tesla doesn't have - body shape, physical controls, Apple/Android/Sirius, a few more.
can you please elaborate the differences you found besides the physical controls between MY vs ID.4? First time I'm having a second thought.

·
4 Posts
Now that Tesla have dropped their price on MY and the potential for 7k incentives I'm on the fence about my ID4 reservation. MY looks to have more interior passenger and cargo space (frunk + trunk + deep bucket under trunk). Although I checked with my auto insurance (AAA) and the MY is $1k/yr more expensive to insure. I think it going to come down to a decision after test driving both.

·
15 Posts
can you please elaborate the differences you found besides the physical controls between MY vs ID.4? First time I'm having a second thought.
Not the one who posted that but I can share what I found. Tesla issues:
  • No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
  • No SiriusXM
  • Forced into Spotify for main streaming if you want to control from dash properly (not through Bluetooth streaming which forces you to your phone)
  • Strange half sub floor in the boot instead of the entire sub floor being available. Wastes otherwise usable space
  • Body panels out of alignment and general fit and finish is poor. As seen even on Tesla showroom demos (Tysons Corner, VA) and in the wild.
  • No sunshade on pano roof. This does make a thermal difference.
  • Lack of visual in the drivers forward periphery. Looking at the Tesla’s single pane of glass in the center does take your eyes off of the road more than using the ID.4’s steering column display or even ID Light.
  • Cup holders not as well thought out and reconfigurable as the ID.4
  • Tesla’s physical door latches can freeze up depending on your climate
  • Seats not very comfortable. Definitely not as comfortable as other VW’s I have owned.
  • Far distances to go for any maintenance. May be different where you live but here in SC I can either go to Charlotte, NC (2hrs + away) or Savanah, GA (1.5 hours + away) whereas I have 2 VW dealers here that are within 20 minutes.
Don’t get me wrong, I am actually a fan of Tesla. Their range and charging availability is second to none for now and as a geek engineer I can respect Elon and his choices here. But for me in my decision matrix on my next car there was just too much I didn’t want to compromise on.

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
141 Posts
Personally, I am not the least bit tempted by anything Tesla related, and I don't really have any respect for Elon.

But it would take a return of the rebate for the "Y" to be anywhere near cost competitive with the ID.4.

·
65 Posts
I like the ID.4 because it has a flat roof with roof rails. The teardrop shape of the Model Y (and Mach-E) is not practical for me and my Home Depot addiciton. I like Apple/Android connectivity and Sirius, which Tesla does not have. After seeing both the Tesla and the VW in person, I think the fit/finish on the ID.4 is better. Also like the retractable shade on the VW's glass roof.

Plus there's Tesla as a company. Quality and service need improvement. Not impressed by Elon Musk or his fan club, either.

·
214 Posts
Bear in mind that Tesla will probably raise prices if TC returns. They lowered them when the TC expired. Sweet spot is to buy after whatever (unknown) cut in date is for the TC, but before Tesla raises prices.

·
107 Posts
Bear in mind that Tesla will probably raise prices if TC returns. They lowered them when the TC expired. Sweet spot is to buy after whatever (unknown) cut in date is for the TC, but before Tesla raises prices.
I wonder how big a price increase Tesla could impose if the tax credit returns. GM could keep Bolt and Bolt EUV prices where they are, so a $7,000 tax credit would make those vehicles extremely affordable. I'm not sure how many people cross shop a Tesla and a Bolt, but there may be enough competition to keep Tesla from raising prices too much.

·
8 Posts
Not the one who posted that but I can share what I found. Tesla issues:
  • No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto
  • No SiriusXM
  • Forced into Spotify for main streaming if you want to control from dash properly (not through Bluetooth streaming which forces you to your phone)
  • Strange half sub floor in the boot instead of the entire sub floor being available. Wastes otherwise usable space
  • Body panels out of alignment and general fit and finish is poor. As seen even on Tesla showroom demos (Tysons Corner, VA) and in the wild.
  • No sunshade on pano roof. This does make a thermal difference.
  • Lack of visual in the drivers forward periphery. Looking at the Tesla’s single pane of glass in the center does take your eyes off of the road more than using the ID.4’s steering column display or even ID Light.
  • Cup holders not as well thought out and reconfigurable as the ID.4
  • Tesla’s physical door latches can freeze up depending on your climate
  • Seats not very comfortable. Definitely not as comfortable as other VW’s I have owned.
  • Far distances to go for any maintenance. May be different where you live but here in SC I can either go to Charlotte, NC (2hrs + away) or Savanah, GA (1.5 hours + away) whereas I have 2 VW dealers here that are within 20 minutes.
Don’t get me wrong, I am actually a fan of Tesla. Their range and charging availability is second to none for now and as a geek engineer I can respect Elon and his choices here. But for me in my decision matrix on my next car there was just too much I didn’t want to compromise on.
Some other differences between MY and Id4 in USA:
• MY has heat pump, Id4 does not
• MY has rear seat heaters, Id4 does not
• MY has 8 cameras & 12 ultrasonic sensors, Id4 has a rear camera
• MY has 14 speakers & a subwoofer, Id4 has 7 speaker& no subwoofer
• MY comes with level 2 charging cable, Id4 has a level 1 cable included
• MY (awd) towing package ($1000) has 3500 lb capacity & 7 pin wiring, Id4 (awd) is 2700 lb & unknown wiring
• MY has 68 cu ft storage with frunk, Id4 has 64.2 cu ft storage & no frunk

21 - 40 of 93 Posts