·
63 Posts
Some other differences between MY and Id4 in USA:
• MY has heat pump, Id4 does not
• MY has rear seat heaters, Id4 does not
• MY has 8 cameras & 12 ultrasonic sensors, Id4 has a rear camera
• MY has 14 speakers & a subwoofer, Id4 has 7 speaker& no subwoofer
• MY comes with level 2 charging cable, Id4 has a level 1 cable included
• MY (awd) towing package ($1000) has 3500 lb capacity & 7 pin wiring, Id4 (awd) is 2700 lb & unknown wiring
• MY has 68 cu ft storage with frunk, Id4 has 64.2 cu ft storage & no frunk
Sounds like you're firmly in the Model Y camp.

Personally, none of those features outweighs my needs. I don't care about the number of speakers in audio system. Never plan to tow, so not a decision point. I already own L2 charging cables, and if I didn't, they're affordable enough. I live in California, so the heat pump is not really a big issue, either.

·
65 Posts
Choice is good :)
I wonder how big a price increase Tesla could impose if the tax credit returns. GM could keep Bolt and Bolt EUV prices where they are, so a $7,000 tax credit would make those vehicles extremely affordable. I'm not sure how many people cross shop a Tesla and a Bolt, but there may be enough competition to keep Tesla from raising prices too much.
I also don't see how Tesla could increase the prices substantially when/if the tax credits return. I read somewhere that the costs to produce the Y is close to the costs to produce the 3, so the margin on the Y is already relatively high. Especially with the Texas factory going online later this year it seems they're going for volume and after gas SUVs.

·
41 Posts
I think if Tesla gets the $7,000 back and passes it onto customers who lease, VW is going to have to drop the price of their lease on the ID4 really quick. The ID.4 PRO RWD is really $467 a month (without taxes and fees) if you do $0 down and including their "$7,500 lease incentive). The Model Y SR is $527 a month (without taxes and fees) at $0 down. The MY is $2,160 more expensive over three years BUT if they decide to do a "$7,000 lease incentive", it will become $5K cheaper than the ID4.

·
314 Posts
Some other differences between MY and Id4 in USA: ...
• MY has 8 cameras & 12 ultrasonic sensors, Id4 has a rear camera
not trying to convince anyone one way or the other, but I think this point is incorrect. There has to be at least a front camera for travel assist, as well as two rear radar for cross traffic. I think we (ID.4) get some parking indication too, which almost certainly means ultrasonic transducers, possibly front and rear.

I think there has been some talk about how we get less cameras than the EU 1st Max which has 360 view. Otherwise I think we get the rest of the 1st sensors for Travel assist. Interesting, I expected Radar front, and sides (usually outside corners of the rear bumper for cross traffic), but maybe rear radar too:

·
212 Posts
I don't think Tesla M-Y and Bolt will cross-shopped. Bolt will go to people that might aspire, but couldn't afford a Tesla. My memory is that Tesla dropped prices $4K, but not sure.

·
224 Posts
If the $7k tax credit bill passes will it be starting 2021 or start next year? I really don’t pay attention to things like that.

One of the things that don’t like about Tesla is the constant changing in prices. The Model Y SR is a month old and the price dropped already.

Also did the range get updated? I thought it was 230 miles now it is 244.

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
131 Posts
If the $7k tax credit bill passes will it be starting 2021 or start next year? I really don’t pay attention to things like that.
I wasn't aware that a bill was even before Congress - I thought this was just talk about what they might do.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
214 Posts
One of the things that don’t like about Tesla is the constant changing in prices. The Model Y SR is a month old and the price dropped already.
If I had bought a Model Y SR last week at the higher price I'd be majorly p***ed. Compared to unavailable features on US ID.4s that's much more serious in my book.

·
314 Posts
Hmmm, who is paying for all these tax credits???
Government uses resources to encourage outcomes. For those who believe that EVs are part of a solution the worlds problems it seems like a good idea to encourage EV purchases and to bolster EV development and EV sales.

I get that this EV credit can feel like a dole out to those in middle income (esp. because of the tax credit aspect where you have to have a $7,500 tax liability). I think the EV incentive money should have gone to the companies directly and let them sell EVs at lower prices to everyone. Fortunately VW is said to be passing along the entire $7,500 to those taking a lease, so that's a bit of an equalizer.

The bigger picture, lots of stuff isn't fair. Heck I paid school taxes almost my entire adult life by owning a home, but I never had any kids. It's the greater good thing.

Also, we get very hung up on equity when it is something so clearly defined, like $7,500 to an individual. But, where is the outrage when it comes to corporate manipulation, cheating, and theft, not to mention rich folks exploiting the tax code, both legally and illegally for millions! Not to mention the many decades of subsidies the oil and gas industry (who did a lot of good for us too, but now times are changing).

·
131 Posts
Government uses resources to encourage outcomes. For those who believe that EVs are part of a solution the worlds problems it seems like a good idea to encourage EV purchases and to bolster EV development and EV sales.
I always thought of the main goal was to help bootstrap the industry - as volumes increase, economies of scale come in, batteries and cars become less expensive. Rinse and repeat. The point of the phase-out was that eventually price parity with ICE cars would be reached, after which the tax credit no longer makes sense.

I have also heard the argument that the tax credits only help people who have large tax burdens, and that's quite a fair criticism. But changing from a tax credit to something that just gets subtracted from the sales price is a hard thing to do.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
214 Posts
But changing from a tax credit to something that just gets subtracted from the sales price is a hard thing to do.
California does both now. My ID.4 will be $1500 cheaper at the dealer, and there’s a $2000 tax credit. I wish they’d simply subsidize the purchase price by $3500 and call it good.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
278 Posts
California does both now. My ID.4 will be $1500 cheaper at the dealer, and there’s a $2000 tax credit. I wish they’d simply subsidize the purchase price by $3500 and call it good.
It's a technicality, but the $2,000 is not a tax credit, they will mail you a check so you can get the $2,000 even if you didn't pay $2k in taxes. The $1,500 & $2,000 come from different funding sources and have different requirements which is why they are not combined (mostly, there is an income cap on the $2,000 and also the funding for the $2,000 runs out often and needs to be replenished).

Reactions: ted99 and FredT

·
131 Posts
It sounds like Tesla is dropping the standard range RWD Model-Y. If you want a model Y, you will only be able to get the long-range version.

·
278 Posts
It sounds like Tesla is dropping the standard range RWD Model-Y. If you want a model Y, you will only be able to get the long-range version.
Where did you see that? They just started selling them and just dropped the price on them last week (with the caveat that it wouldn't be unlike Tesla to change their mind weekly).

·
97 Posts

·
278 Posts
Well, it had a good 45-day run. It was getting long in the tooth! :)

Reactions: Kitt and ted99
41 - 60 of 71 Posts