Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Blue
215 Posts
It’s one of the few things I really dislike about Tesla. Had I been thinking about getting a Y RWD STR and not pulled the trigger before today, I’d be royally miffed.

·
107 Posts
Just read an article that the tax credit would be set for individuals with 30k adjusted or less and 60k for couple filing joint. That’s hopefully not the case.

·
ID.4 Pro S (Statement) AWD Reservation 9/23/20
286 Posts
Just read an article that the tax credit would be set for individuals with 30k adjusted or less and 60k for couple filing joint. That’s hopefully not the case.
Do you have a link to that article? I have not seen any income limit but would not be surprised if they add one although $30k/60k would be very low (and at $30k you wouldn't even pay close to $7k in taxes to get the credit).

California has a low-income EV assistance program but that is in addition to the other existing programs (and the individual cap is still above $30k).

·
107 Posts
Do you have a link to that article? I have not seen any income limit but would not be surprised if they add one although $30k/60k would be very low (and at $30k you wouldn't even pay close to $7k in taxes to get the credit).

California has a low-income EV assistance program but that is in addition to the other existing programs (and the individual cap is still above $30k).
Looking for it again. One I posted was wrong one. Welp I went though my whole history and can’t find it. I swear it was in this one, but when I used my work computer to view it, not in the text.

·
10 Posts
Senator Jeff Merkley announced this bill a couple days ago (matching bill in the house). It would restore $7500 credit and allow that credit to be claimed over multiple years for people with lower tax liability. I believe there are seven cosponsors in the Senate last time I checked. CARS Act

·
107 Posts
Senator Jeff Merkley announced this bill a couple days ago (matching bill in the house). It would restore $7500 credit and allow that credit to be claimed over multiple years for people with lower tax liability. I believe there are seven cosponsors in the Senate last time I checked. CARS Act
A multi-year carryover for the tax credit? As a retired person with a low tax liability, I'd love that. I'll write to my representatives in Congress.

·
ID.4 1st Blue
215 Posts
A multi-year carryover for the tax credit? As a retired person with a low tax liability, I'd love that. I'll write to my representatives in Congress.
Also, this bill provides the option of taking the credit at point of sale instead of on your tax return. Not sure how that will work, but it’s touted to help people who don’t owe $7500 in taxes.

Reactions: Kitt

·
9 Posts
First post here. Very good discussion! I, too, am trying to decide between an ID.4 AWD and the Model Y.

A few comments:
I hope nobody will hold their breath for a new tax credit. Bear in mind that the ethanol and petroleum lobbies will fight that to the bitter end, which means it's very unlikely any Republicans will vote for it. Note that there are zero Republican co=sponsors of any version of the bill for a new EV tax credit, and if even one Senate D (like, say, coal state Sen. Manchin) doesn't go for such a bill, it would be dead, anyway, even if it does eventually get to a vote.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned here is that the Tesla is available now while the ID.4 AWD, if it arrives per the vaguely promised schedule, won't be available until maybe September. Personally, I kind of need a car sooner rather than later. So while I really like some of the ID.4 traits vs. the Model Y, that six month (or more, not that VW has ever overpromised, of course) wait is a considerable irritant.

The 3 year free charging thing is a big draw, except from the Philadelphia suburb where I live the nearest E A charger is 25 minutes away in a sort of funky spot. When I visited to check it out, at least two of the chargers were out of service and the chargers looked a bit poorly cared for in general. Hmmm.
On the other hand, my town has free Tesla chargers in two city parking lots ten minutes from my house, (although they are the super slow types) and there is a new super charger going in not too much further away.
So maybe the free charging thing, at least for me, isn't so great after all.
Of course, YEVMMV.

Last, has anyone directly compared the warranties for the Y and the ID? I'll try to do that myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
107 Posts
First post here. Very good discussion! I, too, am trying to decide between an ID.4 AWD and the Model Y.

A few comments:
I hope nobody will hold their breath for a new tax credit. Bear in mind that the ethanol and petroleum lobbies will fight that to the bitter end, which means it's very unlikely any Republicans will vote for it. Note that there are zero Republican co=sponsors of any version of the bill for a new EV tax credit, and if even one Senate D (like, say, coal state Sen. Manchin) doesn't go for such a bill, it would be dead, anyway, even if it does eventually get to a vote.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned here is that the Tesla is available now while the ID.4 AWD, if it arrives per the vaguely promised schedule, won't be available until maybe September. Personally, I kind of need a car sooner rather than later. So while I really like some of the ID.4 traits vs. the Model Y, that six month (or more, not that VW has ever overpromised, of course) wait is a considerable irritant.

The 3 year free charging thing is a big draw, except from the Philadelphia suburb where I live the nearest E A charger is 25 minutes away in a sort of funky spot. When I visited to check it out, at least two of the chargers were out of service and the chargers looked a bit poorly cared for in general. Hmmm.
On the other hand, my town has free Tesla chargers in two city parking lots ten minutes from my house, (although they are the super slow types) and there is a new super charger going in not too much further away.
So maybe the free charging thing, at least for me, isn't so great after all.
Of course, YEVMMV.

Last, has anyone directly compared the warranties for the Y and the ID? I'll try to do that myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
One thing I think you overlook is Tesla and GM. They are here in the US. While korean and Japanese manufacturers are still getting the tax credit. Republicans love “American made” I think there’s some potential republican support here.

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
141 Posts
Once you get settled into the EV lifestyle, you will find yourself doing something like 90% of their charging at home if you have a garage of some sort where you can install an EVSE. You plug it in and let it charge overnight - when you are ready to go in the morning, you have a good charge on the battery. That being said, if you happen to be someplace where you can do a fast charge, then you can certainly do that to top up.

It is really road trips where something like EA gets useful, and in those cases the stations closest to home aren't likely to be the ones you would be using. You can use tools like abetterrouteplanner to see what various trips would be like, and where you might end up needing to stop and charge.

·
9 Posts
One thing I think you overlook is Tesla and GM. They are here in the US. While korean and Japanese manufacturers are still getting the tax credit. Republicans love “American made” I think there’s some potential republican support here.
That's true, and Tesla is in Texas, where "Flyin' Ted" really needs to show he cares. :D
There a lots of angles to the issue. Still, if a new tax credit usable by Tesla buyers happens this year, I'd be pretty surprised. Of course, if I buy a Y now, it will happen the week after I get the car...

·
9 Posts
Once you get settled into the EV lifestyle, you will find yourself doing something like 90% of their charging at home if you have a garage of some sort where you can install an EVSE. You plug it in and let it charge overnight - when you are ready to go in the morning, you have a good charge on the battery. That being said, if you happen to be someplace where you can do a fast charge, then you can certainly do that to top up.

It is really road trips where something like EA gets useful, and in those cases the stations closest to home aren't likely to be the ones you would be using. You can use tools like abetterrouteplanner to see what various trips would be like, and where you might end up needing to stop and charge.
Yes, that kind of extends my point that the three years of free charging at Electrify American may not be all that useful for many people or as much of a value enhancer as it first appears.

On the other hand, the VW will have the tax credit for sure!

·
9 Posts
By the way, for the record, I've had an ID.4 AWD order placed for a few months now.

Another diff between the vehicles that hasn't been discussed here is paint colors. For my part, I like the VW silver and "moonstone gray" better than any of the Tesla colors.

In my neck of the woods, there is a Tesla shop almost right across the street from a VW dealer. I drove the Tesla, got a good demo of it's features. The VW salespeople don't know and don't seem very interested in when the ID will actually show up on their lot.

As for which company is preferable, like others above I'm not a big Musk fan, but the "diesel gate" thing made me greatly dislike and distrust VW. If EVs were more commonplace today, I wouldn't even think about a VW.
Each to their own. Y KW/m MV, etc.

·
VW ID.4 1st (originally Pro, changed to 1st in Jan).
141 Posts
Yes, that kind of extends my point that the three years of free charging at Electrify American may not be all that useful for many people or as much of a value enhancer as it first appears.
People coming from ICE cars may perceive a value in that they assume they will need to go somewhere to charge, just like they did to add fuel to the ICE car.

·
9 Posts
Here's a tidbit I found deep in the ID.4 pages on the main VW website while I was comparing warranties:

The ID.4 has a four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle Limited Warranty4. Plus, you’ll get two years/20,000 miles of Scheduled Carefree Maintenance5, and with three years/36,000 miles of Roadside Assistance6, your out-of-charge vehicle can be towed to the nearest Electrify America station free of charge. There is no limit to the number of times you can use this service per year, and it’s available 24/7.

So, if you find that your ID is "free of charge," you can get it towed free of charge! :)
Who knew?

Scheduled maintenance on an electric car, I guess, would mainly be tire rotations and washer fluid?

The ID battery warranty is 8 years / 100K miles.

The Tesla warranty, btw, is 4/50 for the car, i.e., the same, and 8/120K for the battery and "drive unit" - would that be the motors? No "free of charge" towing, though I'm sure nobody here would ever have to use such a thing!

61 - 80 of 93 Posts