Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

1,502 Posts
If this was an ICE car fire it would not be news at all
ICE carbecues tend to be over a lot sooner and are probably easier to extinguish (with foam). EV fires tend to re-ignite.

This may actually become an important topic as various places that we might take our EVs (like ferries and, who knows, maybe parking garages and even tunnels?) decide they don't want our EVs there.

ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
617 Posts
just for Massachusetts in 2022 alone...
Motor Vehicle Fires 2,284 Fires - Up 3%

of that 2,284 in Massachusetts there is ONE Tesla. It burned at the Tesla store...

World wide (reported) Tesla only: 55 (most of which ignited due to accident)

That stretch of 128 is like a hot-wheels track that stop & go's in 8 lanes during rush hour.

'22 ID.4 Pro S AWD
431 Posts

2022 ID.4 ProS AWD
261 Posts
This may actually become an important topic as various places that we might take our EVs (like ferries and, who knows, maybe parking garages and even tunnels?) decide they don't want our EVs there.
I can certainly see the potential development of requirements for better fire detection in garages. Right now people often don't put any alarms due to triggering by ICE exhaust, if you no longer have that as an issue it seems like a good opportunity to install a detector.

1,502 Posts
I can certainly see the potential development of requirements for better fire detection in garages. Right now people often don't put any alarms due to triggering by ICE exhaust, if you no longer have that as an issue it seems like a good opportunity to install a detector.
When I think about it, I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any regulations requiring at least heat detectors in garages; they'd be a good addition.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I think about it, I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any regulations requiring at least heat detectors in garages; they'd be a good addition.
I have the required thermal detectors in my garage (possibly a MA-code and not a "Live Free" thing?). My prior home as well (so 22 years total). I may not have had same in prior homes however.

btw: I have framing earthquake clips and roof-runoff cisterns in my current 5-year old home. They keep adding occupancy requirements, just as does the NEC.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Air planes crash...train runs off rails.... vehicles catch fire. All of this is part of our civilization. There will always be X cases that could be improved with time. EV vehicles are not any more dangerous than ICE vehicle with gas tank.
Agreed. My only point in linking this news article was again to highlight that this may alas dissuade some potential EV buyer(s).

4,127 Posts
Agreed. My only point in linking this news article was again to highlight that this may alas dissuade some potential EV buyer(s).
I had in my life multiple ICE vehicle's catch fire...my last ICE fire almost cost me my entire property catching on fire. But this still is not making me afraid of EV vehicles or possibly thermal runaway in battery pack and causing vehicle fire. Installing smoke detectors and heat detectors is all you need to deal with this type of issues.

1,502 Posts
Air planes crash...train runs off rails.... vehicles catch fire. All of this is part of our civilization. There will always be X cases that could be improved with time. EV vehicles are not any more dangerous than ICE vehicle with gas tank.
It doesn't really matter whether they ARE any more dangerous; it matters whether they are PERCEIVED as being more dangerous. And I gotta say, while the rate at which EVs catch fire may be well below the average for all vehicles, the EV fires that do occur tend to be pretty spectacular, very often making news.

So no one should be surprised if regulations are promoted restricting where EVs can travel and the ways in which they can be transported.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully education and equipment will become available to fire departments until we get solid state batteries.
Fire blanket:
Battery extinguisher: Rosenbauer Introduces the Battery Extinguishing System Technology (BEST) - Rosenbauer, More info.
Dunk tank: The Red Boxx – a Bathtub for Cars – open source lab
Technique: EV battery fire hazard underscored by reigniting junkyard Tesla that couldn't be put out
There are probably more options out there.
Smothering a fire, whether by blanket, Halon, whatever, remains a viable course of action. As there was recently a stove fire in our area (user negligence) my wife bought a special purpose sized fire blanket, even tho' we already have an extinguisher also at hand.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had in my life multiple ICE vehicle's catch fire...my last ICE fire almost cost me my entire property catching on fire. But this still is not making me afraid of EV vehicles or possibly thermal runaway in battery pack and causing vehicle fire. Installing smoke detectors and heat detectors is all you need to deal with this type of issues.
Yep, you drive ICE vehicles long enough you're bound to have a fire at some point (as also have I). But again, these types of news articles raise in the fledgling EV public consciousness a concern for the amount of time and resources it takes to extinguish a large Li-ion battery fire. And you're very far from a fledgling EV'r. ;)

'22 ID.4 Pro S AWD
431 Posts
Yep, you drive ICE vehicles long enough you're bound to have a fire at some point (as also have I). But again, these types of news articles raise in the fledgling EV public consciousness a concern for the amount of time and resources it takes to extinguish a large Li-ion battery fire. And you're very far from a fledgling EV'r. ;)
What the H...? Yikes! Do you people drive around with lit flares for illumination???
In the last 35+ years I've driven a collection of sh_tboxes with questionable maint (as broke kids tend to) and done my share of experimental repairs, and never had a fire.
Or known anyone that has had a car catch fire.
One fire I might write off as a fluke. Multiple fires and I'd start looking real hard at the beneficiaries of my insurance policies...

1,502 Posts
What the H...? Yikes! Do you people drive around with lit flares for illumination???
In the last 35+ years I've driven a collection of sh_tboxes with questionable maint (as broke kids tend to) and done my share of experimental repairs, and never had a fire.
One fire I might write off as a fluke. Multiple fires and I'd start looking real hard at the beneficiaries of my insurance policies...
Life's funny.

One of my 1978 Sciroccos got to 201K miles before I sold it off to a coworker. It was running fine but he got it into his head that he needed to do something with the Bosch K-Jetronic mass flow sensor/fuel flow regulator. I guess he didn't tighten something down properly because very shortly thereafter, the car burned up.

· Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You drive for 55 years the odds are you'll have at least one fire. More if you own/work on vintage vehicles. ;)

I had a similar situation of no issues with a fairly high mileage Ford but shortly after selling same .... One just never knows what the Fates, Loki, or the golfing gods will send your way. 🤷‍♂️
Life's funny.

One of my 1978 Sciroccos got to 201K miles before I sold it off to a coworker. It was running fine but he got it into his head that he needed to do something with the Bosch K-Jetronic mass flow sensor/fuel flow regulator. I guess he didn't tighten something down properly because very shortly thereafter, the car burned up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts