Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With many of us scheduled to experience the ID.4 in a personal test drive over the coming weeks, I thought I'd start this new thread to collect and compare our impressions. Earlier today, I got a chance to get behind the wheel and found out that this is, indeed, day 1 of test drives across all their customer campaigns in the country.

Overall, my impressions are positive. This was the first time I laid eyes on the car in person and the exterior design struck me as great. It's a well-proportioned SUV that wears its heft with surprising grace. The 20-inch wheels worked well but I'm sure 19-inch rims would also look appropriate. The special wrap for test drive events actually looked surprisingly neat. Inside, it's a nice and airy cabin, as many have reported. Being on the tall side (well above 6 feet), I had no trouble adjusting the seat and steering wheel to a comfortable position. At that point, a child or small adult would still sit comfortably behind me, but a rear-facing car seat would not. The massage function was cool, by the way.

The drive itself was a tad underwhelming but that's only partly the car's fault. Because of the pandemic, VW lets you go out on your own, with route guidance set to take you on a short round trip, while Tanner Foust's voice tells you about the car. Before I go into the driving itself, here are some pointers that, hopefully, may help future test drivers make the most of their time with the car.

1. Ignore Foust and turn the sound off. Regulars on this forum already know everything he has to say and will gain more insights by listening to the car rather than Foust's commentary.

2. Get lost. No, seriously, lose your way, ideally, to end up on a highway that forces you to drive a couple of extra miles before you can turn around. Otherwise you will end up taking a way-too-short and utterly boring trip around the mall where the event is organized. If you're lucky, speed limits might go as high as 40mph. I did not do this and, as a result, my test drive left key questions unanswered, including the highway feel, wind noise at speed, etc.

Now back to the car: I was pleasantly surprised to see the range guessometer show more than 250 miles of remaining range, even with the battery charge at app. 80%. When I asked one of the techs if there had been any gamesmanship involved, he assured me that the 250-mile EPA range was "conservative." The driving experience itself felt fairly detached. On our third EV now, I was less than impressed with the acceleration and immediacy of torque (and I'm not comparing to Tesla here). That said, it's perfectly adequate. The electric motor's whine is more noticeable than in other EVs. Ride quality seemed ok but not quite as supple as I had expected based on some video reviews. And roads were not bad.

A few more random thoughts, in no particular order:

• the sound system seemed solid but basic. Don't look for any sharp base or crisp trebles. That said, the center speaker on the dash helps create some semblance of surround sound. Yes, I would consider myself to be an audiophile so feel free to discount these observations.
  • the UI is nice and loaded with information / features. I especially enjoyed the gesture swipes to switch among the three main screens. The way you adjust temperature via taps or, more quickly, swipes is also cool. I liked the fact that some physical buttons below the screen allow you to access key menus more quickly. There was some lag on certain screens – not terrible, but noticeable. When I inquired, they couldn't tell me if cars had software 2.0 or 2.1. Let's just say that I'd hope it wasn't 2.1.
  • these drives offer minimal opportunity to test TravelIQ. What I can report is that the lane-keeping functionality was quite good. No ping-pong effect as observed on some other vehicles.

I'll update if I can think of more. Happy to answer any questions.

Hope this helps and, of course, looking forward to the impressions of others!

·
ID.4 Pro S
108 Posts
With many of us scheduled to experience the ID.4 in a personal test drive over the coming weeks, I thought I'd start this new thread to collect and compare our impressions. Earlier today, I got a chance to get behind the wheel and found out that this is, indeed, day 1 of test drives across all their customer campaigns in the country.

Overall, my impressions are positive. This was the first time I laid eyes on the car in person and the exterior design struck me as great. It's a well-proportioned SUV that wears its heft with surprising grace. The 20-inch wheels worked well but I'm sure 19-inch rims would also look appropriate. The special wrap for test drive events actually looked surprisingly neat. Inside, it's a nice and airy cabin, as many have reported. Being on the tall side (well above 6 feet), I had no trouble adjusting the seat and steering wheel to a comfortable position. At that point, a child or small adult would still sit comfortably behind me, but a rear-facing car seat would not. The massage function was cool, by the way.

The drive itself was a tad underwhelming but that's only partly the car's fault. Because of the pandemic, VW lets you go out on your own, with route guidance set to take you on a short round trip, while Tanner Foust's voice tells you about the car. Before I go into the driving itself, here are some pointers that, hopefully, may help future test drivers make the most of their time with the car.

1. Ignore Foust and turn the sound off. Regulars on this forum already know everything he has to say and will gain more insights by listening to the car rather than Foust's commentary.

2. Get lost. No, seriously, loose your way, ideally, to end up on a highway that forces you to drive a couple of extra miles before you can turn around. Otherwise you will end up taking a way-too-short and utterly boring trip around the mall where the event is organized. If you're lucky, speed limits might go as high as 40mph. I did not do this and, as a result, my test drive left key questions unanswered, including the highway feel, wind noise at speed, etc.

Now back to the car: I was pleasantly surprised to see the range guessometer show more than 250 miles of remaining range, even with the battery charge at app. 80%. When I asked one of the techs if there had been any gamesmanship involved, he assured me that the 250-mile EPA range was "conservative." The driving experience itself felt fairly detached. On our third EV now, I was less than impressed with the acceleration and immediacy of torque (and I'm not comparing to Tesla here). That said, it's perfectly adequate. The electric motor's whine is more noticeable than in other EVs. Ride quality seemed ok but not quite as supple as I had expected based on some video reviews. And roads were not bad.

A few more random thoughts, in no particular order:

• the sound system seemed solid but basic. Don't look for any sharp base or crisp trebles. That said, the center speaker on the dash helps create some semblance of surround sound. Yes, I would consider myself to be an audiophile so feel free to discount these observations.
  • the UI is nice and loaded with information / features. I especially enjoyed the gesture swipes to switch among the three main screens. The way you adjust temperature via taps or, more quickly, swipes is also cool. I liked the fact that some physical buttons below the screen allow you to access key menus more quickly. There was some lag on certain screens – not terrible, but noticeable. When I inquired, they couldn't tell me if cars had software 2.0 or 2.1. Let's just say that I'd hope it wasn't 2.1.
  • these drives offer minimal opportunity to test TravelIQ. What I can report is that the lane-keeping functionality was quite good. No ping-pong effect as observed on some other vehicles.

I'll update if I can think of more. Happy to answer any questions.

Hope this helps and, of course, looking forward to the impressions of others!
Thanks, aircooled. That is great feedback. I have a test drive next Friday at Pleasanton Stoneridge Mall and I expect it’ll be the same cars you saw today. The 680 is 2 blocks from the car park, so I may be able to sneak onto the freeway briefly. One thing I will try to determine, and maybe other test drivers can too, is to see if the software is 2.1. This can be done on screen in >Settings>System Information and the latest version (2.1) should read as “Software: 0792”. I’m also very interested in the audio quality and setup. Not sure yet if the ID4 12v battery will support DSP’s, power amps, crossovers and decent (focal) speakers.......but hey, here’s hoping. Thanks for the excellent review 👍

·
214 Posts
Thanks, aircooled. That is great feedback. I have a test drive next Friday at Pleasanton Stoneridge Mall and I expect it’ll be the same cars you saw today. The 680 is 2 blocks from the car park, so I may be able to sneak onto the freeway briefly. One thing I will try to determine, and maybe other test drivers can too, is to see if the software is 2.1. This can be done on screen in >Settings>System Information and the latest version (2.1) should read as “Software: 0792”. I’m also very interested in the audio quality and setup. Not sure yet if the ID4 12v battery will support DSP’s, power amps, crossovers and decent (focal) speakers.......but hey, here’s hoping. Thanks for the excellent review 👍
The software on mine was 0790, which I think is still 2.0. It still felt mostly responsive once I got it out of CarPlay, but I was playing around with it after I'd returned & turned off the vehicle, so I didn't make it to all screens.

·
2021 First Edition
234 Posts
Get lost. No, seriously, lose your way, ideally, to end up on a highway that forces you to drive a couple of extra miles before you can turn around.
Same here. I took a wrong turn and crashed the app trying to get back on course, so I just drove around. If you want to test the infotainment system, just hit home and start playing.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The software on mine was 0790, which I think is still 2.0. It still felt mostly responsive once I got it out of CarPlay, but I was playing around with it after I'd returned & turned off the vehicle, so I didn't make it to all screens.
It’s comforting to know that this was only 2.0. Again, not terrible but also not what I would expect at the price. That may be my biggest misgiving at this point. It’s a solid car that checks a lot of boxes. But I’m not sure it has the feel of a $45-50k vehicle. I’d say it’s lacking that bit of panache. But, of course, that’s a subjective feeling and, presumably a deliberate choice by VW so as to leave the luxury feel to its Audi sibling.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of marketing, did anyone else find it weird that the survey only asked if we owned a VW and, if so, which model? I would have thought they'd be especially interested to learn what non-VW drivers the ID.4 attracts. After all, they've declared war on the CRV and RAV4.

·
ID.4 Pro S
108 Posts
Speaking of marketing, did anyone else find it weird that the survey only asked if we owned a VW and, if so, which model? I would have thought they'd be especially interested to learn what non-VW drivers the ID.4 attracts. After all, they've declared war on the CRV and RAV4.
In my experience that usually relates to brand loyalty. I’ve had four Subaru‘s and at the last purchase I was asked how many I had owned. Six weeks after receiving my fourth new Subaru, I received via FedEx two Italian leather overnight travel bags from Subaru as well as branded drink bottles for the car as a brand loyalty gift. I’m still impressed :)

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
We just got back from the test drive. Very nice car and feels more more like an ICE car than an EV. The "Tanner Faust" narrative wasn't working at our test drive.

I did the test drive with my wife and was hoping to fiddle around with the settings while she drove but many of the settings were blocked while driving. Ours was also Software 0790 - the infotainment is very laggy so hoping it is still version 2.0 and 2.1 will fix that. There is a lot less wind noise than the Tesla but didn't get it over 50 miles an hour (my wife stayed in the mall parking the entire time, I took the car to the street and was going to get on the freeway but saw the freeway was moving slower than the side streets so couldn't do 75 mph wind noise test). The motor does have a audible whine (especially in the slow speed mall) - I am concerned about how much whine the AWD will have with two motors.

I prefer driving in "B." Even my wife who has only driven my EV a handful of times preferred the feel of "B" over "D." I was disappointed the car doesn't remember the last drive mode it was in but defaulted back to "D" which means we will need to select gears twice each time we drive. I tried using the ACC but would not activate - not sure if I was doing something wrong or if the feature was blocked. The Auto Hold feature was also not activated but didn't try to find it in the settings to turn on.

For the person who asked for the door jamb sticker (can't remember who it was)...

·
214 Posts
My survey asked about VW ownership, and then a make/model (to which I responded Toyota/Tacoma). It didn't appear to me that the second question was restricted by the first.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We just got back from the test drive. Very nice car and feels more more like an ICE car than an EV. The "Tanner Faust" narrative wasn't working at our test drive.

I did the test drive with my wife and was hoping to fiddle around with the settings while she drove but many of the settings were blocked while driving. Ours was also Software 0790 - the infotainment is very laggy so hoping it is still version 2.0 and 2.1 will fix that. There is a lot less wind noise than the Tesla but didn't get it over 50 miles an hour (my wife stayed in the mall parking the entire time, I took the car to the street and was going to get on the freeway but saw the freeway was moving slower than the side streets so couldn't do 75 mph wind noise test). The motor does have a audible whine (especially in the slow speed mall) - I am concerned about how much whine the AWD will have with two motors.

I prefer driving in "B." Even my wife who has only driven my EV a handful of times preferred the feel of "B" over "D." I was disappointed the car doesn't remember the last drive mode it was in but defaulted back to "D" which means we will need to select gears twice each time we drive. I tried using the ACC but would not activate - not sure if I was doing something wrong or if the feature was blocked. The Auto Hold feature was also not activated but didn't try to find it in the settings to turn on.

For the person who asked for the door jamb sticker (can't remember who it was)...

View attachment 1661
It's interesting that you also noticed the motor whine. I've never driven an EV where it was this noticeable. Good to hear that the wind noise at 50mph was better than in the Model 3. Thanks for giving us that comparative perspective.

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,481 Posts
It's interesting that you also noticed the motor whine. I've never driven an EV where it was this noticeable. Good to hear that the wind noise at 50mph was better than in the Model 3. Thanks for giving us that comparative perspective.
I wonder whether you all heard the motor or the pedestrian warning sound? I imagine the latter could sound like electric motor noise from the cabin. It's been noticeable in some video reviews.
Question: Did it cut out above 20 mph? That would have been the warning noise.

And now I wonder how hard it would be to disable the artificial noise - and break the law, or is that not a problem? I am envious of Teslas that generally don't have it switched on.

·
229 Posts
I wonder whether you all heard the motor or the pedestrian warning sound? I imagine the latter could sound like electric motor noise from the cabin. It's been noticeable in some video reviews.

And now I wonder how hard it would be to disable the artificial noise - and break the law, or is that not a problem? I am envious of Teslas that generally don't have it switched on.
FWIW, I assumed the noises were the pedestrian warning sound. There was a weird "stationary engine" noise when the car was not driving (maybe the car was in D or B, I'm not sure) and a sci-fi sound that could only be heard at low speeds and seemed too loud for motor noise.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts

The sound was coming from the back and was correlated with the speed. However, come to think of it, I didn't hear the pedestrian warning sound from any of the ID.4s when they were pulling into the test drive area. If I do another test drive, I will try to pay more attention.

·
214 Posts

I only heard a quiet sound when I put the windows down, and it did not sound like the false-doppler sound that has been linked to on the forum. I even questioned them on it upon return, and ultimately one guy admitted that as these are pre-production, they may not have the sound.

I am curious about whether disabling it would be illegal (not that I would; as much as I don't want my car to make noise, I accept the reason for it). But since it's an NHTSA rule, I would have thought it was more directed at OEMs building in the functionality than going after rogue individuals disabling it. Since individual enforcement action would happen at the local level, unless an officer pulls you over for a violation they're going to enforce or it's included as a requirement in a state inspection, I would think you're not risking much by quieting your EV.

·
5 Posts
Does anyone know if the augmented reality heads up display will be a feature on US ID4's? We test drove one in Corte Madera and didn't try to enable any features.

·
Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
502 Posts
I think the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) primarily apply to the manufacturer and are required for an OEM to produce and sell a car. The owner can change things as long as they still comply with local regulations (tail light out or the like). I might be wrong on that, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere. To me the real risk is in liability for the owner if something happened. If you did disable the sound, which as an owner you might be legally able to do, and someone got hit by you then a lawyer is going to pounce all over that and say you were negligent and the cause of the accident.

Reactions: ChristophW
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.