Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just test drove ID4. My first impression is its a nice car. For the price ( with incentive), i think its a good car. Car drives nice and interior is good. Screen size is perfect.

One of the key criteria is quietness. I felt this car had lots of wind noise. It was not windy at all. I test drove on different roads and it was evident. Would love to hear other's perspective on this.

Thx

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
443 Posts
I'm starting to get a little worried with a few of you getting test drives and saying the car is very road- or wind-noisy. Pretty much every single early review I watched or read mentioned how quiet it was, and a lot of forum members here also had that opinion when test driving, but I've seen several people now say that they thought it wasn't very quiet.

I'm curious, what car(s) do you currently drive? I.e., what kind of wind/road noise are your accustomed to?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
On my test drive I found wind noise to be fairly low. Wind/road noise is more noticeable in EVs as there is no ICE to drown out the noises, however, EVs are considerably quieter.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
476 Posts
I drive a Camry hybrid, which is supposed to be pretty quiet and I thought the ID.4 was quieter.

·
2021 Pro AWD
396 Posts
I found noise at interstate speed middle of the road. I thought slightly louder than 2018 Mazda Cx5 a family member owns and a little louder than volvo V90 I rented last month.

I actually just checked and this bears out, c&d measured 68 dB for ID and 66 for CX @ 70. Both are considered excellent results so maybe my reference point was off.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm starting to get a little worried with a few of you getting test drives and saying the car is very road- or wind-noisy. Pretty much every single early review I watched or read mentioned how quiet it was, and a lot of forum members here also had that opinion when test driving, but I've seen several people now say that they thought it wasn't very quiet.

I'm curious, what car(s) do you currently drive? I.e., what kind of wind/road noise are your accustomed to?
i drive 2018 odyssey. I was lucky to drive car on same road as i drive everyday. I wanted to experience same road as i am familiar too. I was aware of noticing road noise in my own car when i was driving to dealership. Look, i am not defending but giving facts based on my observation. Fully agree that you are going to notice road / wind noise lot more than ice car as there is no engine. But certainly this car has wind noise and you can tell. VW did great job with tire noise as they have insulated that part well.

·
41 Posts
I live in NJ and test drove the car over a week ago on back roads and highways. One of my cars is a BMW530e and in electric mode it is really quiet. The ID4 was very marginally noisier but definitely not a noisy car. If I took either car on alternate highways RT. 80 or 287 both would be noisy due to the road surface. On the GSP both would be very quiet. So, in summary, it depends on what road surface and its condition that you are driving on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.