Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer got in their demo and called me in for a test drive today. I had the car for about 1 hour and here are my observations that stood out. I have recently driven a Tesla Model Y Standard Range (no longer available). First, let's start off by saying OK it is not as quick as the Tesla Model Y. Now that is out of the way here are my thoughts that I think are worth noting:
1) It is $13,500 dollars cheaper than the current available Tesla Model Y with the federal tax credit. Is the Tesla worth that much more than the VW? Not IMO. There is a lot one can do with the savings.
2) It drives exceptionally well. Is quick enough to take on any normal driving situation. Very quiet no wind noise at 65 mph. Some tire noise noted on concrete pavement, but not on asphalt roads at 70 mph. Suspect it is from the type of tread pattern on the Bridgestone tires. The suspension is well tuned for the type of car it is. Sport mode does change pedal response, acceleration and steering to satisfy your fun factor.
3) Build quality, fit, finish and paint work is exceptional. German high standards and workmanship shows.
4) It is truly an SUV that is capable of hauling the family, tow a trailer, load the kayak, take the dogs out, put the kids in the back and still have fun driving it. Very open feel with lots of room inside.
5) Interior is cool, sleek and very modern. Has a great simple, clean look about it. The seats are super comfy for long trips. Love the massage function in the seats. White steering wheel and white accents I think give it a very modern look for sure, maybe too modern for some. But, but for me I really liked the look with the Lunar Grey and it is not $1K option!
6. Travel assist, lane assist and adaptive speed control worked flawlessly. Not one issue during the entire drive. Love the Blind Spot indicators coupled with the vehicle locators showing on the pod screen while in Travel Assist. Makes one very aware of what is around them at all times.
7) The infotainment screen is high resolution and super clear, bright colors and easy to see. Once you "scroll" through the functions everything is fairly intuitive to set up.....Iphone like in many ways.
8) Software update 2.1 seems to have solved the lag issues noted earlier. I had no lag when using the icons on the screen. Navigation was quick to come up and "Hello ID" worked every time and responded quickly once I learned and stated the correct commands.
9) Haptic controls were pretty straight forward, but one has to learn the sequences and functions unique to VW. The controls worked easily and had no problems. I liked not having to go to the "screen" to work basic everyday functions.
10) You will love the retractable roof screen for those extremely hot summer days!
11) Sound system is clean, crisp and clear with good highs and mid-range. Could use more bass, but can be solved by adding an aftermarket underseat sub-woofer.
12) Range. I think the engineers have sand bagged the range capabilities and more is available with a tweak or two through an OTA. That said, I started with Range showing 214 miles, the car had already been driven 98 miles today from other demos starting from a full charge. It was 74 degrees today.

So there you have it. IMO this is for sure a "best value" car given all the features and capabilities it offers. Everything I tried the car did really well and surprised me given the price point of the car. Is it perfect, no but it is a really, really good car and I have had a bunch that were certainly not so good for sure!

Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
I finally got a chance to drive one today for about 30 minutes and to me you are spot on. I thought the power was fine, it is not a Tesla nor is it a Ferrari and to me it doesn't makes sense to compare its speed to either. And I think the reviewers who hammer it on the speed forget about that little $13,500 difference. When you review and drive everything you don't have to worry about things like that, in the real world where I am spending a lot of hard earned money, being 3 or 4 seconds faster to 60 is no where near worth that money in a vehicle like this. At least to me.

The problem is that since I have driven one I want mine NOW!!! I was doing barely ok waiting but now it is almost impossible!!! it should be on one of the ships that just docked...I hope.

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got a chance to drive one today for about 30 minutes and to me you are spot on. I thought the power was fine, it is not a Tesla nor is it a Ferrari and to me it doesn't makes sense to compare its speed to either. And I think the reviewers who hammer it on the speed forget about that little $13,500 difference. When you review and drive everything you don't have to worry about things like that, in the real world where I am spending a lot of hard earned money, being 3 or 4 seconds faster to 60 is no where near worth that money in a vehicle like this. At least to me.

The problem is that since I have driven one I want mine NOW!!! I was doing barely ok waiting but now it is almost impossible!!! it should be on one of the ships that just docked...I hope.
I am in the same boat. My dealer shows pickup at Baltimore port for land carrier on 28 March. My guess is my car was on the Goodwood that docked yesterday.

I am in the same boat. My dealer shows pickup at Baltimore port for land carrier on 28 March. My guess is my car was on the Goodwood that docked yesterday.
I keep looking at the Wheel of Torture and hoping that it came off the Goodwood but nothing yet. I need to bug my dealer to see if he can find the ship info.

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep looking at the Wheel of Torture and hoping that it came off the Goodwood but nothing yet. I need to bug my dealer to see if he can find the ship info.
So the Goodwood is now headed to Jacksonville. I hope my car stayed on the boat since I am in Florida. That said, an FE delivered in Orlando was land carried from Baltimore. Go figure...lol!

So the Goodwood is now headed to Jacksonville. I hope my car stayed on the boat since I am in Florida. That said, an FE delivered in Orlando was land carried from Baltimore. Go figure...lol!
I drove an FE in Orlando today at Napelton's! But am picking up in TN and hoping that comes from Baltimore and is already on the ground. But it doesn't look like her draught changed much so who knows?

So there you have it. IMO this is for sure a "best value" car given all the features and capabilities it offers. Everything I tried the car did really well and surprised me given the price point of the car. Is it perfect, no but it is a really, really good car and I have had a bunch that were certainly not so good for sure!
I just my got test drive today as well for about an hour, and was thinking about it to post a review. But you already hit all the points I was going to write, so I won't be repetetive! Its a very nice EV. It makes me wish I could get mine sooner! On mine the slow speed sound was not too loud, and did sound like Jetsons. As I was driving out of the dealers lot some other customers standing around I could hear say "Jetsons!" Mine had no issues with brakes, they were great, and I liked the amount of regenerative braking in B, as well as the ability to D and coast more. I did feel like I just took a jump in time into the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts