Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just curious how you guys felt about the US spec FE ID4 after you test drove it. I think if I didn’t perviously drive the RWD Model Y I would be more impressed. I will admit the more I drove it and got used to the interface it grew on me. The thing that turned me off the most was the white trim. The sides looked cheap, I think if it was darker it wouldn’t be as noticeable. I might cancel my FE and get an AWD with black steering wheel. Don’t get me wrong it was a great car and there were things I loved but it wasn’t love at first drive.

·
505 Posts
I never could get used to white bezels on an iPhone. :sick:

In my mind, the bird-in-the-hand Dusk Blue Metallic FE--with an installed hitch receiver--in just a few days for a three year lease versus the "AWD-in-the-bush-for-how-long?" is the tradeoff for the "Maybe I'll Learn To Like It" FE white trim and wheel. I haven't seen it yet, though.

·
35 Posts
I test drive one this morning, and it drives exactly like my e-golf just way heavier and slow. I thought it was incredibly slow, but I didn’t have a chance to really get on it for the short 15 minute drive.

The other huge thing for me is how little the salesperson knew about the car, and that is really sad. I feel like this will go all the way through to service department. I’m leaning on canceling and just getting a Model Y.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, OR
60 Posts
I'm not fond of the white either, but am going to Plasti Dip the touch panels and see how it goes. (It's easy to remove and very DIY.) I wish that could be done for the steering wheel too.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
218 Posts
I'm not fond of the white either, but am going to Plasti Dip the touch panels and see how it goes. (It's easy to remove and very DIY.) I wish that could be done for the steering wheel too.
Keep us posted on that.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
187 Posts
Test drove ID.4 in Greenville, SC for 30 minutes - on highway and local back roads. Overall I am very impressed by design choice VW made versus pricing and competitive. As mentioned before, this is not a "performance" car. However, the ride, handling and stability are very well tuned. Torque response was really nice, smooth and quick. While acceleration is likely not much different than ICE competitors 0-60mph, the torque response is what I desire to merge into traffic. Tried out a really sharp turn to test turning radius. Super tight radius that is a plus for city driving.

Controls and software response seemed quick relative to some reviews, no lag. This vehicle had the latest version software loaded. I did not try voice commands. Haptic touch controls seem to work really well, just different feel and feedback than traditional Audi, VW controls. Sun shade control and performance seemed really nice. I would not want to have a glass roof in SC without a shade. Quick buttons below display are unobtrusive and helpful. Native navigation seemed fine, worked well for my route.

Seating space is pretty amazing front and rear. Very comfortable for this short trip. Fit and finish was solid. Really liked door closure feel and outside handles. Rear door upper trim is hard plastic, different than front doors. The "slotted" speaker openings in the door would not be my choice. I would have not cut the cost and kept the finish the same.

Not having storage space in front truck for at least the charger seems like a miss. I can see an aftermarket opportunity for some business the modify the plastic frame VW has under front hood.

As posted recently, looks easy to add the four bolt hitch to a Pro / Pro S if the bummer is the same. Hoping :)

Dealer really did not know much about the car. A constant frustration for anyone considering a EV.

Hitch installation:

Slotted speaker openings in doors:

·
2021 Chevy Bolt
61 Posts
I test drive one this morning, and it drives exactly like my e-golf just way heavier and slow. I thought it was incredibly slow, but I didn’t have a chance to really get on it for the short 15 minute drive.

The other huge thing for me is how little the salesperson knew about the car, and that is really sad. I feel like this will go all the way through to service department. I’m leaning on canceling and just getting a Model Y.
I agree. Acceleration was very slow. I was disappointed 😞
Hopefully the 300 hp AWD will be faster (and more fun)!

·
70 Posts
Those complaining the ID.4 felt slow - did you verify that the car was not in Eco mode? ID Furkan has posted a video showing acceleration numbers and Eco mode was over 12 sec while the other modes were sub 9sec 0-100Km/hr. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Reactions: theboomr

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those complaining the ID.4 felt slow - did you verify that the car was not in Eco mode? ID Furkan has posted a video showing acceleration numbers and Eco mode was over 12 sec while the other modes were sub 9sec 0-100Km/hr. That’s a pretty significant difference.
I went for a 2nd test drive, I made sure it was on sport and had a much better experience. It’s by no means all that “sporty” IMO but I knew that going in. I don’t think I’ll ever put it on ECO again I can’t tolerate how slow it drives.

·
59 Posts
I wonder if the cars are coming on the trailer to the dealers in eco mode as the same thing happened to me. The dealers don’t know about this yet. VW could be hurting first impressions.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
My dealer was very up front about not knowing a lot about the vehicle. They likely went thru a cursory training program but it's difficult for anyone without having the product in hand (which they didn't until mine arrived at same time as their demo) and I was therefore ok with same. I passed on some of my pre-knowledge (VW video's and this site) and it seemed appreciated.
Heck, historically I've almost always known more then the salespeople about the ICE vehicle in which I'm interested. It always seems strange to me, but just the way it is. 🤷‍♂️

They did have a newly installed ~55" display in their waiting area showing area EA and other charging locales, and knew how to operate it (pretty simple), so that was a plus.

Speaking of which I did a bit of a scavenger hunt via the ChargePoint App this weekend and drove to a number of unexpected L2 sites. Nice CarPlay-App voice directions to same.

Dealer really did not know much about the car. A constant frustration for anyone considering an EV.

·
700 Posts
Not having storage space in front truck for at least the charger seems like a miss.
No, it wasn't a miss. No, frunk means no nose-heavy weight ahead of the front axle which gives FWD handling characteristics. Without it makes it more of a RWD-like neutral handling vehicle. And that is a bonus. No frunk means shorter front overhang and short rear overhang to match.

7S POWER

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
No, it wasn't a miss. No, frunk means no nose-heavy weight ahead of the front axle which gives FWD handling characteristics. Without it makes it more of a RWD-like neutral handling vehicle. And that is a bonus. No frunk means shorter front overhang and short rear overhang to match.

7S POWER
I agree. I can't imagine that I would need a small frunk with all the space in the cargo area. Someone in another thread mentioned the frunk in the new electric F-150. Something the size of that could be useful!!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,931 Posts
I really like the short nose look-down to the highway, thanks to no frunk.

7S POWER

1 - 15 of 15 Posts