Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

134 Posts
Why on earth would they pick rear right location?
This actually works nicely for me. I park in my left garage (which is the further from the electrical panel) and always back in. So this makes it so my EVSE is right next to the charge port. There is no perfect spot, and no matter where they put it someone is going to complain that it doesn't work for their set up.

134 Posts
Also next EV you are going to buy may have port on the right side in the front and back in no longer is going to work if you already have charger mounted to accomdate id.4. My point either give two locations or standardize port location.
It has a 25' cord on the J1772, no matter where the next charge point is I'll be more than fine. Manufacturers aren't going to spend the money to put two ports on cars, and there is no chance the industry will standardize where the port is. They haven't done it on fuel tanks after 100 years, I just don't see it happening on charge ports either.

Besides that it's not a good location because you do have to go around the car to plug/unplug as it's not obvious if you approach from the driver side.
This is also dependent on how your parking is laid out. I have to walk past the right rear to get to my drivers door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts