Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

ID.4 AWD Pro S red res. 7/31/22 locked 9/20/22 delivered 10/22/22
311 Posts
I think part of the reason is that the back motor acts as a high voltage interface to the battery so the charging port must be in the back to support DC fast charging. You don’t want a thick high voltage cable running from the front to the back of the car.

ID.4 AWD Pro S red res. 7/31/22 locked 9/20/22 delivered 10/22/22
311 Posts
Fuel tanks are different and certainly much cost/complexity involved to add secondary fuel port. Gas stations are designed that you can park on either side and it's convenient for either port location but we are not talking about technology that was designed decades ago. Routing additional wire with an outlet should be negligible additional cost. Seems like great engineering minds didn't think through charging convenience which happens more frequently then filling car with dyno juice once a week.
I respectfully disagree that the cost is negligible for the cable. Maybe for a leaf with slow charging only.

For DC fast charging the cable must be thick and heavy. The EA charger cables are not only thick but also have liquid cooling. Does the ID.4 cool the cables inside the car ? I doubt it but they probably have to minimize the cable length and resistance for DC fast charging. For level 2 charging the current is lower 40 amps so less heating than for 300 amps at DCFC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts