Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Pro S AWD v3.1
931 Posts

39. The driver of a vehicle shall not back the same into an intersection or over a crosswalk and shall not in any event or at any place back a vehicle unless such movement can be made in safety.
39A. No person shall, unless first approved by the City Engineer, drive a vehicle in reverse to enter or leave a roadway except where such action will not obstruct the orderly flow of traffic on the street.
The “Unless it can be done safely” and “except where such action will not obstruct the orderly flow of traffic on the street” clauses don’t make it illegal. They impose a responsibility on the driver to do these actions only in a safe manner.

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
442 Posts
The “Unless it can be done safely” and “except where such action will not obstruct the orderly flow of traffic on the street” clauses don’t make it illegal. They impose a responsibility on the driver to do these actions only in a safe manner.
If there’s traffic and you back out causing traffic to slow or stop thats obstructing the orderly flow of traffic. Hence my comment was backing out in cross traffic. We see this all the time and cops can and will ticket you for this.

Backing out at 2 am with no traffic is quite different than at during 6 pm rush hour.

You’ve asked for a citation and I gave you one. Feel free to take it out with the city of Vancouver if you disagree. Only the second bylaw is relevant.

·
591 Posts
We are talking about comparable SUV to id.4, in terms of prices/features, none of those options are workable. They are either small and/or no AWD or simply more money.
Sorry, I think VW should change the design so that your particular situation is accommodated. Because, you know, the world revolves around you. Or, at least, it should.

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
I would prefer the charge port be located front and center to accommodate my preferring to back into my garage (I always like a clean getaway ... well, after waiting for my ID.4 to fully boot :ROFLMAO:

But recognizing that the world doesn't revolve around me, even if it should, and also that the ID.4 inherited much German-Tiguan design, I'm fine with it as-is.

And yes, if that's the OP's biggest concern then VW is doing well indeed! :)
Don’t misunderstand me, I am not at all dismissing this complaint. I am only saying that if that is the biggest complaint, then we are doing well.
I happen to agree that the charge port would make more sense near the front of the vehicle.

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid (but not for long.)
156 Posts
I think there should be a charge port on all four corners of the car. This way, everyone is happy! You could even back in sometimes to change ports. Wait, how about one on each side of the roof too?
I remember older cars having the filler behind the rear license plate and some behind a taillight. VW could do something similar. :unsure: YMMV.

·
1,753 Posts
I think there should be a charge port on all four corners of the car. This way, everyone is happy! You could even back in sometimes to change ports. Wait, how about one on each side of the roof too?
Or none at all — (says I, drumming my fingers while waiting patiently for the induction charging breakthrough that, every year, is Coming Next Year, though then we’ll just argue about the placement of the floor plate).

·
2,162 Posts
Or none at all — (says I, drumming my fingers while waiting patiently for the induction charging breakthrough that, every year, is Coming Next Year, though then we’ll just argue about the placement of the floor plate).
Think how many people complain how the wireless phone charging works and you may want to reconsider 😉

On another note, if you start adding more charging locations, you also add lots of wiring harnesses and therefore weight and cost and complexity. It ca become a never ending cycle.
I do remember seeing a patent filed by GM for a two charge port option. I think it was less about convenience since they were both on the same side of the vehicle. IIRC it was for the ability to vary charging voltage between the current 400 and the soon to be 800.

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Sorry, I think VW should change the design so that your particular situation is accommodated. Because, you know, the world revolves around you. Or, at least, it should.
Sounds like if VW added a charging port on the roof or underneath the car you would find it fine as well because after all they know everything about designing the perfect car and never failed giving terribly implemented features. :ROFLMAO:

·
'22 ID.4 Pro S AWD
334 Posts
We are talking about comparable SUV to id.4, in terms of prices/features, none of those options are workable. They are either small and/or no AWD or simply more money.
"We" aren't. You are. I expect there will be some that share your desired specs, but by no means all. The person you responded to didn't mention SUV or AWD. I did not want an SUV, but there are zero EV wagons on offer so I had to uncheck that box (among others). I bought the ID.4, so I like it enough to plonk down my moneys, but I'm no fanboy. It was a close race between the ID.4 and the IONIQ5, and the ID.4 arrived first. The ID.4 has lower specs, but cost a little less and was available first. Had Tesla offered a hitch on the Model 3 that would have been on my list too.

The Mach-e costs less, has AWD, and is an SUV. The Solterra costs less, has AWD, and is an SUV. And there are quite a few people here without AWD in their ID.4's.

BTW, the car in your sig is over $50k. About $52,590 if I did it right.

·
591 Posts
Sounds like if VW added a charging port on the roof or underneath the car you would find it fine as well because after all they know everything about designing the perfect car and never failed giving terribly implemented features. :ROFLMAO:
Wow. You read my mind!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
"We" aren't. You are. I expect there will be some that share your desired specs, but by no means all. The person you responded to didn't mention SUV or AWD. I did not want an SUV, but there are zero EV wagons on offer so I had to uncheck that box (among others). I bought the ID.4, so I like it enough to plonk down my moneys, but I'm no fanboy. It was a close race between the ID.4 and the IONIQ5, and the ID.4 arrived first. The ID.4 has lower specs, but cost a little less and was available first. Had Tesla offered a hitch on the Model 3 that would have been on my list too.

The Mach-e costs less, has AWD, and is an SUV. The Solterra costs less, has AWD, and is an SUV. And there are quite a few people here without AWD in their ID.4's.

BTW, the car in your sig is over $50k. About $52,590 if I did it right.
If you are in this thread it's "we" are discussing. There are no "plenty" alternatives to id.4 in the same price range and features. MachE was much more expensive with mark ups soltera/bz4x without tax credit as well now but also seemed lesser car to id.4
with wheels falling off and less range.

Your math is off too. It's below 50k with tax credit and it's the cheapest you can buy today. Next year likely not

Back to subject though. This had a poll. Rear right location didn't get much votes

Reactions: Atlant

·
591 Posts
If you are in this thread it's "we" are discussing. There are no "plenty" alternatives to id.4 in the same price range and features. MachE was much more expensive with mark ups soltera/bz4x without tax credit as well now but also seemed lesser car to id.4
with wheels falling off and less range.

Your math is off too. It's below 50k with tax credit and it's the cheapest you can buy today. Next year likely not

Back to subject though. This had a poll. Rear right location didn't get much votes

I’m usually the combative one, but you have well exceeded all of my personal limits for combativeness. I give you an A+ and I block you henceforth. Cheers!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I’m usually the combative one, but you have well exceeded all of my personal limits for combativeness. I give you an A+ and I block you henceforth. Cheers!
Just giving straight facts and real concerns but it's understandable not everyone can handle it and feel they need to deviate the subject with unrelated suggestions about buying "plenty other EVs with the right plug location". Of course I already done my research and if there were even a few options with a plug location in the preferred place (left side) AND met all other criteria I would not be buying id.4.

Reactions: Atlant

·
2,176 Posts
Try backing out into the main entrance of the Walmart parking lot in Oceanside where the EA chargers are “conveniently” located. Honking and swerving and accelerating like crazy past you is the norm. I get the impression that eventually someone is going to pull out a gun and shoot at me!

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Try backing out into the main entrance of the Walmart parking lot in Oceanside where the EA chargers are “conveniently” located. Honking and swerving and accelerating like crazy past you is the norm. I get the impression that eventually someone is going to pull out a gun and shoot at me!
Sounds like a perfectly valid reason to keep the charger port where it currently is!

You convinced me I am an idiot here to raise my concern in id.4 community or even think what a terrible charger port location.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts