Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
My point is backing in works better there and many other places than backing out. But drive through chargers should have been the plan from the beginning just like gas stations have been since 1910!
I agree but that doesn't mean you can't back into spot if charging port would be anywhere on the left side

Reactions: PANZERidIV

·
58 Posts
Simple suggestion would be using extension J1772 cable for people who have limited access to the charging port.
This is for L1 or L2 charging scenarios. I have seen aftermarket solutions and you can buy them. Just make sure you go with thicker cable for minimum resistance losses and bullet proof your investment.
Future EV will have 80A onboard inverter for L2 charging, or ability to change current settings on EVSE side if budget dosent allow more expensive J1772 extension cable.
Yes. So glad I got a long cable with the L2 charger. We've owned 5 different EVs and they all have different charging port locations. The charger was installed at the street side to accommodate a right rear location but the Bolt, the Soul and the Kona all charge in the front. They were all fwd. That doesn't explain the Fiat of course other than it was an ice design.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
To future proof I will be adding at least 4 outlets for 2 cars to accomodate multiple locations where the charging port might be. I don't want long cables that just creates tripping hazzard and more thick cable to deal with.

·
4 Posts
... for me... It's not the easily scratchable glossy plastics or touch senstive controls or lack of some lighted controls or lack of dedicated rear window buttons or lack of one pedal driving or lack of heat pump in US version or not so fast charging but... it's the damn charging port location...

Why on earth would they pick rear right location? IMO it's one of the worst locations for EV which meant to spend most of the time charging at home. I would have been fine with front like in Leaf or front left side like in I had in Volt/Bolt or even rear left would have been ok like in Tesla. Of course VW isn't the only one who is guilty of that, Hyundai/Kia as well as Toyota also doing the same thing, there are some China made EVs using right front location.

There are a few options how to solve it for manufacturers. Either 1) standardize location of the port 2) add two locations on both sides at least
I had an eGolf for 4 years and never found it a problem, though it was admittedly not as wide a car, and the port was closer to the rear bumper. When I bought my home charger I ordered an extra long cord. I have a single-wide driveway to the right of my house when facing it, but if someone is parked at the top of the driveway next to the charger, I can back in and still charge.

when using public dc fast charge stations I DID have to re-park on 2 occasions to get port access. Oddly I cussed at Electrify America and not at VW…. I guess I just really want to like my new car. You bring up an interesting point.

·
630 Posts
I had an eGolf for 4 years and never found it a problem, though it was admittedly not as wide a car, and the port was closer to the rear bumper. When I bought my home charger I ordered an extra long cord. I have a single-wide driveway to the right of my house when facing it, but if someone is parked at the top of the driveway next to the charger, I can back in and still charge.

when using public dc fast charge stations I DID have to re-park on 2 occasions to get port access. Oddly I cussed at Electrify America and not at VW…. I guess I just really want to like my new car. You bring up an interesting point.
A recent photo that someone posted seemed to suggest that EA has gotten the message and the newer chargers have longer cords with some sort of gas pump-like cord slack management cable.

·
2022 AWD Pro, Moonstone/Black, reserved 10/10/21, locked 4/11/22, holding at 20-1 and counting
373 Posts
Ideally, EV charging stations should be like gas pumps: drive-through.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
When we get to 5-10 minute recharge sessions possibly but regardless most will be charging at home anyway

·
630 Posts
I think they don't do this because every charging device is actually two separate units: The “dispenser-like” unit and a big cabinet full of high-powered electronics. EA likes to build a single secure(ish) enclosure in which they locate all of the high-power cabinets and then they can run relatively short cable runs to the dispenser units. If the dispenser were all separated by drive-through lanes, the cable runs to their associated high-power cabinets would be quite a bit longer costing more and producing more voltage drop for the dispenser units that were located farther from their respective high-power units. Alternatively, EA could locate each high-power unit near each dispenser but then they'd need to provide a secure enclosure around each individual high-powered unit.

It's a shame that defense against vandalism needs to be provided, but that's the reality of modern humanity.

·
591 Posts
The way that most EA charging stations are arranged, one can easily reach the charge port on the ID.4 without even having to back into the space. Just grab the handle from the pedestal that’s next to the charge port, walk around the pedestal, and pay there. If someone needs to use the space facing the screen on the pedestal you are using, they can grab a handle from the pedestal that’s next to the front right fender of the ID.4, walk around the pedestal (stand next to the ID.4) and pay from the screen of that pedestal. There is no rule that you have to use the pedestal whose screen faces the side of the DC charger where you pulled up in your EV. At least, I’m unaware of such a rule.

The only time one must back into a space is when the charging pedestals are lined up by the curb or pavement edge like the way ChargePoint pedestals are placed (similar to the way Tesla Superchargers are placed). But even with Tesla Superchargers, the Teslas have to be backed into a charging space because the charging port is on the rear left fender. Obviously, Tesla didn’t think there was a problem placing the charge port on the rear fender and neither did they make their charging stalls to be drive through to preclude having to back onto a place. And no one can question the usability of Tesla superchargers regardless of what one thinks of Tesla cars or Musk.

So, I really don’t understand what the issue is with DC charging and the current charge port location on the ID.4.

As for L2 charging in a garage, the EVSE can be placed in a number of different locations, and there is not one standard placement of the charge port that would dictate where an EVSE should be mounted in a garage. For every location that one will claim to be a perfect placement for an EVSE, I can counter that that location is not going to work well for another person. Unless there is one standard where a charge port should be located on an EV, any place is as good as any other. Additionally, if one owns two EVs and has a two-car garage, then having the charge port located in the same place on both EVs will require that one EV be backed into the garage while the other being pulled in front forward just so that the charge port on both EVs is next to a garage wall where an EVSE is likely to be mounted. So, no matter how you look at it, the charge-port location is in the wrong place some of the time. Would placing the charge port in the area of the EV front bumper work the best? It wouldn’t for me because I have a water heater in the garage next to the front bumper in one of the two parking spots in my two-car garage.

Should the location of the charge port be standardized and dictated by a national standard? Until such a standard is enacted, for every person who claims that the charge port on a particular EV is in the wrong place, I can find another person who will say it’s exactly where it should be. For me, the current location of the charge port on the ID.4 is perfect; it couldn’t be in a better place.

·
1,483 Posts
My 1970 Ford Maverick was that way. Only a thin rubber/fabric mat was on top of the tank. A rubber hose went from the tank top to the back of my car. If I was rear ended, my Maverick would have burst into flames like the Ford Pinto.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
As for L2 charging in a garage, the EVSE can be placed in a number of different locations, and there is not one standard placement of the charge port that would dictate where an L2 charger should be mounted in a garage.
Agree, hence I am planning to add multiple points to future proof it, but in general I don't think that rear right is an ideal charger door placement for US market. For European if they have curbside chargers it's understandable might be better fit. (I was recently in Lisbon and used one station on a busy street to fill up Toyota CHR with driver side fill door and I thought to my self that wasn't the best location) For something that you will be doing much more frequently at home, it's better suited to have on driver side (rear or front). It's simply more visible/accessible as you enter/approach the car, rather then having to walk around and occasionally forgetting that you are plugged in.

·
37 Posts
Agree, hence I am planning to add multiple points to future proof it, but in general I don't think that rear right is an ideal charger door placement for US market. For European if they have curbside chargers it's understandable might be better fit. (I was recently in Lisbon and used one station on a busy street to fill up Toyota CHR with driver side fill door and I thought to my self that wasn't the best location) For something that you will be doing much more frequently at home, it's better suited to have on driver side (rear or front). It's simply more visible/accessible as you enter/approach the car, rather then having to walk around and occasionally forgetting that you are plugged in.
I don't think we will getto a consensus on this, in my garage setup rear charging points are best as I have to walk past the cable to get to the drivers door.

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I don't think we will getto a consensus on this, in my garage setup rear charging points are best as I have to walk past the cable to get to the drivers door.
I am thinking of traditional homes where garage entry from inside the house is usually at the opposite end of the actual garage door. Is your garage entry on the right rear or are you talking about backing in?

·
37 Posts
I am thinking of traditional homes where garage entry from inside the house is usually at the opposite end of the actual garage door. Is your garage entry on the right rear or are you talking about backing in?
I drive straight in, garage door faces west and door to house is centered on south side of garage. Power panel and charger near garage door.

Common setup in my neighborhood, allows backing out into the driveway turning around and driving forward in to roadway.

·
21 Posts
... for me... It's not the easily scratchable glossy plastics or touch senstive controls or lack of some lighted controls or lack of dedicated rear window buttons or lack of one pedal driving or lack of heat pump in US version or not so fast charging but... it's the damn charging port location...

Why on earth would they pick rear right location? IMO it's one of the worst locations for EV which meant to spend most of the time charging at home. I would have been fine with front like in Leaf or front left side like in I had in Volt/Bolt or even rear left would have been ok like in Tesla. Of course VW isn't the only one who is guilty of that, Hyundai/Kia as well as Toyota also doing the same thing, there are some China made EVs using right front location.

There are a few options how to solve it for manufacturers. Either 1) standardize location of the port 2) add two locations on both sides at least
I have a 2021 id.4 and charge it at home in my garage with a 40KW Level 2 Charger. I have a 3-car garage and my Level 2 charger is placed where I can charge ANY of the 3 bays from the current charger location, with the 25 ft. cable provided.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts