Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
2020 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0 Turbo
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I drive straight in, garage door faces west and door to house is centered on south side of garage. Power panel and charger near garage door.

Common setup in my neighborhood, allows backing out into the driveway turning around and driving forward in to roadway.
Ok this setup for sure should be easy to deal with on daily basis. For me only back in would make sense in either side

·
2 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly valid reason to keep the charger port where it currently is!

You convinced me I am an idiot here to raise my concern in id.4 community or even think what a terrible charger port location.
Totally agree the current port location is on the LEAST convenient corner of the ID4, but I’m ok with it now for two reasons:

I’ve had the car for a month and am already used to backing the vehicle into the garage and plugging it in. My trusty 10-year old Clipper Creek evse was mounted in the perfect spot for pulling my Volt into the left side of the garage, now it is just as convenient when I back the ID4 in.

Second, when I brought the car home, I parked in the garage nose first and popped the hatch from inside the car. I quickly realized the vertical clearance (open hatch to the raised garage door) was not adequate. First scratch on the car within 2-min of bringing it home (ugh). The scratch is barely visible but the emotional damage was done. I will never pull forward into the garage again!

·
630 Posts
Second, when I brought the car home, I parked in the garage nose first and popped the hatch from inside the car. I quickly realized the vertical clearance (open hatch to the raised garage door) was not adequate. First scratch on the car within 2-min of bringing it home (ugh). The scratch is barely visible but the emotional damage was done. I will never pull forward into the garage again!
Elsewhere, we were discussing that horrible moment when one's car transitions from “Perfect” to “Damaged”. The good news is that none of the subsequent damage that will inevitably occur will hit you that way again. ;-)

When I first got my Volt, I was routinely backing it into my garage. The Volt has parking assist sensors that are, shall we say, way too pessimistic about side clearance so I had mostly learned to ignore them until one day, they were right! Ooops! I touched up the paint on the garage door surround but on the Volt, it had only taken off the top coat and left the darker primer perfectly intact underneath so I left it alone. Ten years later, the car still has those two unsightly marks but pretty much I'm the only one who knows that they are there. But that day, the car transitioned from “Perfect” to “Damaged”. Ah well…

·
38 Posts
My solution to the diagonally-opposed charging port was to utilize the NEMA 10-30 outlet that the dryer in the garage is plugged in to (240V at up to 30A), rather than buy a separate, hard-wired Level 2 charger. Bought a NEMA 10-30 Y-splitter with switch (the switch is needed - don't buy a Y-splitter without some kind of switching option) from EVSEadaptors.com for about $140 (not sold on Amazon). Use the two outlets from the wall-mounted splitter switch - one to the dryer and one to the Level 2 EV charger. I bought the Vevor 24A 110-240 volt charger from Amazon that comes with a 25-foot cable - you can charge at 10A, 16A, 20A, 24A - it costs under $200, and works great - easy to use, no issues with the plug getting stuck in the vehicle after charging's ended, etc. Also bought a $20 wall-mounted bracket to wrap the cable around when not in use. 24A current delivers 5.6 kW at 240V so you can fully charge overnight in about 10 hours - more than enough for most people. With the 25-foot cable I can charge with the car either way round in the garage - which is nice if you have a bike rack or similar on the back and reversing in is a little trickier than normal (I recommend the 1Up bike rack, whck folds up without blocking the rear camera or sensors). I need the full 25 feet to get the cable over the roof or the front of the car when not reversed in (I prefer the roof option - less likely to see any scratches and the rails help support the charging cable) when the car is not backed in to the garage.

Also, at the EA public charging outlets, after about the 5th attempt, I learned to use the chargers where the screen faces away from the vehicle if those are only ones available - a bit of a 'duh' moment - but it gives you more options - which is always a good thing. I've learned to not get frustrated at the car's various limitations, but to be more flexible in my thinking for the various options to get workaround solutions.

·
MY23 AWD VW ID4 Pro S Plus Artic Blue
78 Posts
Owning your ID.4 electric SUV means you’ll never have to worry about filling up for gas again. But, that also means you’ll need to start thinking about driving a bit differently. It’s little things like starting to think in range instead of MPG. Or you’ll start to say you’re ‘charging your battery’ instead of ‘filling your tank’.
And, thankfully there are so many ways to charge your ID.4. Such as 3 years of unlimited charging at Electrify America public DC fast chargers at no additional cost.1 With 600+ high‑speed charging stations along major highways and cross‑country routes, Electrify America keeps you charged on those road trips.
How you charge is up to you
Level 1. Up to 3 miles/hr. added. About 83 hours to a full charge. Home charging
Level 1. Up to 3 miles/hr. added. About 83 hours to a full charge. Home charging
This is your entry into electric vehicle charging because every ID.4 purchase comes equipped with a Level 1 cable that can plug into a common household 120V charging outlet.3 If you want to charge up faster at home, purchasing and installing a wallbox is your best bet.4
Blue Water Gesture Font Gas

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
VW approach is to always have filling port ( electrons or fuel on right side or left ( depending on market on which side is steering wheel)).
So by doing this if you are finished on emergency line you are not exposed to highway traffic if you need emergency juice from emergency vehicle.
It makes little more difficult to back in for some fast DC charging locations. But once you learn to live with it will become natural.
On my first big trip with the ID.4 (1400 miles) I discovered that if you have bikes on the back, backing into a charging station is a rear pain with the limited visibility out the rear window and/or from the rear camera. Moreover, you have the bikes sticking out a couple feet in the rear and you have to get very close to the charger in order for the cable to reach the port. Worse is that if you have bikes on a rear bike rack, the maneuver braking thinks that the bikes are an obstacle and will SLAM on the brakes. You have to remember to disable maneuver braking first and since this always resets every time you restart the car.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
Since the 2023 ID.4 dispensed with motorized folding mirrors, backing into my garage is a non-starter. My garage door is only 14" wider than the car with the mirrors out. That means 7" on either side. Moreover, my garage entrance is 90 degrees to the long driveway, and so maneuvering around to back in would be very difficult. My L2 cable does just reach the charging port if I park in the left space and park the Bolt in the right space. I tried using the remembered parking maneuver once. The car SLAMMED on the brakes when it got within 2' of the garage door and cancelled the maneuver.

·
3,346 Posts
On my first big trip with the ID.4 (1400 miles) I discovered that if you have bikes on the back, backing into a charging station is a rear pain with the limited visibility out the rear window and/or from the rear camera. Moreover, you have the bikes sticking out a couple feet in the rear and you have to get very close to the charger in order for the cable to reach the port. Worse is that if you have bikes on a rear bike rack, the maneuver braking thinks that the bikes are an obstacle and will SLAM on the brakes. You have to remember to disable maneuver braking first and since this always resets every time you restart the car.
With what you posted it is pain backing in.
But if there is need to overcome this problem or experience is questionable there are ways to get bikes on the roof. Charging locations and engineering are all over the place is another problem. There is no mandated standard laws how they should be done.
Vehicle's that have charging ports on the front of the vehicle or side will experience ice building on charging doors and possibly getting iced all the way under the charging door.

·
3,346 Posts
Since the 2023 ID.4 dispensed with motorized folding mirrors, backing into my garage is a non-starter. My garage door is only 14" wider than the car with the mirrors out. That means 7" on either side. Moreover, my garage entrance is 90 degrees to the long driveway, and so maneuvering around to back in would be very difficult. My L2 cable does just reach the charging port if I park in the left space and park the Bolt in the right space. I tried using the remembered parking maneuver once. The car SLAMMED on the brakes when it got within 2' of the garage door and cancelled the maneuver.
I may suggest J1772 extensions cable that will extend reach from EVSE location where is attached.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
With what you posted it is pain backing in.
But if there is need to overcome this problem or experience is questionable there are ways to get bikes on the roof. Charging locations and engineering are all over the place is another problem. There is no mandated standard laws how they should be done.
Vehicle's that have charging ports on the front of the vehicle or side will experience ice building on charging doors and possibly getting iced all the way under the charging door.
I did buy a roof rack almost a year ago when I ordered my 2021 which became a 2022 which became a 2023. However, I have not installed or used the roof rack yet as bikes on top are a range killer, not to mention hoisting a 50 lb e-bike on top would probably crush my last few remaining spinal discs. I have the roof rack in case I need to carry my friend's lighter weight standard bike as a third bike when he accompanies me and my wife on trips to remote areas and we have to shuttle all 3 bikes between cars staged at either end of the trail. BTW, he also ordered an ID.4 but doesn't expect delivery until next year.

Also, the roof rack could be used to carry our tandem bikes if we go on a cross-country trip to a tandem rally. The tandem's length makes it easier to load from the ground and it's lighter than the e-bikes. We would have to eat the range penalty and be watchful about low bridges (like on the Merrit Parkway in CT.)

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
I may suggest J1772 extensions cable that will extend reach from EVSE location where is attached.
As I said, the cable on the far wall will just barely reach the charging port if I drive straight in the left bay. The EVSE is mounted on the wall between the left and right bays. So, an extension is not needed in this case - unless you are suggesting that I leave the car outside of the garage and run the cable outside. We have severe hailstorms where I live and lots of snow in the winter, plus very hot sun and high-altitude UV levels in the summer, so that's not happening.

·
59 Posts
... for me... It's not the easily scratchable glossy plastics or touch senstive controls or lack of some lighted controls or lack of dedicated rear window buttons or lack of one pedal driving or lack of heat pump in US version or not so fast charging but... it's the damn charging port location...

Why on earth would they pick rear right location? IMO it's one of the worst locations for EV which meant to spend most of the time charging at home. I would have been fine with front like in Leaf or front left side like in I had in Volt/Bolt or even rear left would have been ok like in Tesla. Of course VW isn't the only one who is guilty of that, Hyundai/Kia as well as Toyota also doing the same thing, there are some China made EVs using right front location.

There are a few options how to solve it for manufacturers. Either 1) standardize location of the port 2) add two locations on both sides at least
After listening to a conversation about charge port placement I started asking others at charging stations their preference of port position. Almost all said the rear so they could back into a stagnant parking spot and pull out into a busy driving lane. The one thing they wanted was to have the port close to the back instead of 2-2 1//2 feet forward because some stations are angled parking. Better standards need to be established but the ID4 is near perfect.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
After listening to a conversation about charge port placement I started asking others at charging stations their preference of port position. Almost all said the rear so they could back into a stagnant parking spot and pull out into a busy driving lane. The one thing they wanted was to have the port close to the back instead of 2-2 1//2 feet forward because some stations are angled parking. Better standards need to be established but the ID4 is near perfect.
On the contrary, one of the worst EA stations I've dealt with is in Grand Junction, CO. The station was placed on the main entry/exit lane into the Walmart near the front door. When I stopped past the charging spot to back into it, a line of cars pulled up right behind me, blocking me from backing up into the spot until I got them all to back up to make room. I'd much rather pull into a charging spot that is by definition narrow and then back out into the lane which is much wider.

Another example is the EA station in Washington, UT. The spots are angled and there are bollards at the end of each spot, keeping you from going past. There are two chargers on each island between spaces. The charger in question faces the acute corner. The bollard keeps me from backing up enough for the cable to reach the port. The only way to reach this charger is to back into the adjacent spot on the other side of the charger and reach the cable around the back of the charger. That, of course, blocks the charger meant for that side.

I can understand that a port in the very front of the car might ice up. However, my Bolt's charging port on the driver side front panel has never iced up in 4.5 years of driving in Colorado.

·
591 Posts
When I stopped past the charging spot to back into it, a line of cars pulled up right behind me, blocking me from backing up into the spot until I got them all to back up to make room. I'd much rather pull into a charging spot that is by definition narrow and then back out into the lane which is much wider.
Why do you have to back into a charging spot to begin with? Just because the charging port is in the back doesn’t mean you have to back into the charging space in the EA station configuration.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
Why do you have to back into a charging spot to begin with? Just because the charging port is in the back doesn’t mean you have to back into the charging space in the EA station configuration.
Uh, yeah, it does for 90+% of the EA charger configurations I've been to - and pretty much every other brand's chargers. Most configurations have the charger sitting at the end of a parking spot, not in a pull alongside configuration like most gas stations. In fact, I can only think of 2 or 3 of the 50 or so EA stations I've been to that have the pull alongside configuration. Most of the EA cables are very short and barely make it to the charging port even if you back in. The first stations had curbs that were intended to keep you from hitting the chargers but they had to move them back because only cars with front charging ports could be reached.

·
591 Posts
Uh, yeah, it does for 90+% of the EA charger configurations I've been to - and pretty much every other brand's chargers. Most configurations have the charger sitting at the end of a parking spot, not in a pull alongside configuration like most gas stations. In fact, I can only think of 2 or 3 of the 50 or so EA stations I've been to that have the pull alongside configuration. Most of the EA cables are very short and barely make it to the charging port even if you back in. The first stations had curbs that were intended to keep you from hitting the chargers but they had to move them back because only cars with front charging ports could be reached.
It’s interesting because I’ve only seen EA chargers sitting at the edge of the pavement in one location: Florida Mall in Orlando. All other EA DC chargers I’ve ever used have the pull-alongside configuration. None of them are drive-through kind, so you still have to back out of the charging spaces, though. I guess it depends on a region.

Other DC chargers (non—EA) are, in fact, the kind that you have to back into a charging space.

The other day I was at the Atlanta Gladiators hockey game, and the arena has special parking spaces for EVs with free L2 chargers placed at the edge of the pavement. I had to back into the charging place to take advantage of free L2 charging. It was not a big deal, and it allowed me to leave faster by not having to back out of the parking space when the game was over, while crowds of people were walking through that area. An interesting observation I had was that both a Hyundai IONIQ5 and a Tesla Model Y charging on both sides of my ID.4 also had to back into their respective charging space because their charging port is also on a rear fender in both vehicles. The IONIQ 5 has the charging port in the same exact place as the ID.4. That night, there was no EV parked there that had a charging port in the front.

·
2022 ID.4 Pro S AWD
83 Posts
It’s interesting because I’ve only seen EA chargers sitting at the edge of the pavement in one location: Florida Mall in Orlando. All other EA DC chargers I’ve ever used have the pull-alongside configuration. None of them are drive-through kind, so you still have to back out of the charging spaces, though. I guess it depends on a region.

Other DC chargers (non—EA) are, in fact, the kind that you have to back into a charging space.

The other day I was at the Atlanta Gladiators hockey game, and the arena has special parking spaces for EVs with free L2 chargers placed at the edge of the pavement. I had to back into the charging place to take advantage of free L2 charging. It was not a big deal, and it allowed me to leave faster by not having to back out of the parking space when the game was over, while crowds of people were walking through that area. An interesting observation I had was that both a Hyundai IONIQ5 and a Tesla Model Y charging on both sides of my ID.4 also had to back into their respective charging space because their charging port is also on a rear fender in both vehicles. The IONIQ 5 has the charging port in the same exact place as the ID.4. That night, there was no EV parked there that had a charging port in the front.
I did an actual count last night. I've been to 56 EA stations and only 4 were the type where you could pull alongside. None were an actual pull-through. The other 52 (and at least 50 non-EA stations I've been to) required you to back into the spot for the ID.4. (Most of those I went to with my Chevy Bolt EV, so I had to pull into them to reach the front driver side panel charging port.) The states I've travelled in by EV are UT, CO, NM, TX, WY, ID, MT, KS, MO, NE, IA, IL, IN, OH, PA, WV and NY. The only states I did not charge in were MT and WV. WY only just got an EA station, so I used Charge Point or L2 stations there. The 4 stations with pull alongs were in Pueblo, CO; Albuquerque, NM; Green River, UT and Washington, UT.

I know that Teslas and other EVs (like Ioniq 5 and KIA EV6 and BMW EQS) have charge ports in the rear. I still think it's a big problem, especially if you are carrying bikes on a back rack and especially for EA which still has very short cables in most locations. I get that leaving by driving out is easier than backing out, especially in a crowded lot with lots of traffic. But, having had both a charge port in the rear (ID.4) and one in the front (Bolt), the latter is definitely easier, IMO.

The real solution here is for charging stations to be pull through, like gas stations. We've had 100+ years of experience with designing gas stations and they are almost all pull-through now. Why didn't the designers of EV charging stations figure that out?

·
591 Posts
I did an actual count last night. I've been to 56 EA stations and only 4 were the type where you could pull alongside. None were an actual pull-through. The other 52 (and at least 50 non-EA stations I've been to) required you to back into the spot for the ID.4. (Most of those I went to with my Chevy Bolt EV, so I had to pull into them to reach the front driver side panel charging port.) The states I've travelled in by EV are UT, CO, NM, TX, WY, ID, MT, KS, MO, NE, IA, IL, IN, OH, PA, WV and NY. The only states I did not charge in were MT and WV. WY only just got an EA station, so I used Charge Point or L2 stations there. The 4 stations with pull alongs were in Pueblo, CO; Albuquerque, NM; Green River, UT and Washington, UT.

I know that Teslas and other EVs (like Ioniq 5 and KIA EV6 and BMW EQS) have charge ports in the rear. I still think it's a big problem, especially if you are carrying bikes on a back rack and especially for EA which still has very short cables in most locations. I get that leaving by driving out is easier than backing out, especially in a crowded lot with lots of traffic. But, having had both a charge port in the rear (ID.4) and one in the front (Bolt), the latter is definitely easier, IMO.

The real solution here is for charging stations to be pull through, like gas stations. We've had 100+ years of experience with designing gas stations and they are almost all pull-through now. Why didn't the designers of EV charging stations figure that out?
Because they are not dedicated EV charging stations. They have to take into account the traffic flows at the properties that they place their stations at.

I haven’t traveled in my ID.4 through any states that you listed yet, but I will next summer.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts