Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
FE Blue - picked up March 19
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my ID.4 on Friday, I've been driving it intermittently, but less that I would have pre-Covid. But Monday I started hearing an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the dash. Here in Durham,NC our streets are currently in bad shape, lots of cracks and potholes. The car is really quiet, and I can hear this rattle, but the people in the car with me can't. I couldn't find it, my hearing's not great and it was hard to find, and the overall quietness of the car made it even more annoying.

Well this morning I found it, since there is no Homelink I put a plastic the garage door opener on the driver side visor (the same one I had in my 2007 VW EOS). That is what made the rattle, I put it in my pocket - no more rattle. I never heard it in the EOS but I'm sure it rattled there.
😂

Oh, I ordered the Homelink mirror this morning.

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
I have solved the annoying (if you find it so) pedestrian warning sound! When I come to a stop I just think "Spaceship Arriving". :) I usually laugh. The opposite when starting out, "Spaceship Departing". Embrace it and it will be fun!

·
Blue ID.4 1st Edition
131 Posts
I have solved the annoying (if you find it so) pedestrian warning sound! When I come to a stop I just think "Spaceship Arriving". :) I usually laugh. The opposite when starting out, "Spaceship Departing". Embrace it and it will be fun!
We recently watched the 2005 version of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and my wife thought the pedestrian warning sound was a lot like the sighing doors on the Heart of Gold.

·
137 Posts
I picked up my ID.4 on Friday, I've been driving it intermittently, but less that I would have pre-Covid. But Monday I started hearing an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the dash. Here in Durham,NC our streets are currently in bad shape, lots of cracks and potholes. The car is really quiet, and I can hear this rattle, but the people in the car with me can't. I couldn't find it, my hearing's not great and it was hard to find, and the overall quietness of the car made it even more annoying.

Well this morning I found it, since there is no Homelink I put a plastic the garage door opener on the driver side visor (the same one I had in my 2007 VW EOS). That is what made the rattle, I put it in my pocket - no more rattle. I never heard it in the EOS but I'm sure it rattled there.
😂

Oh, I ordered the Homelink mirror this morning.
Will you be installing it or having the dealer do it?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Buying and installing the Homelink mirror will cost $600+ from the dealer.
Why not just get a $30 device like this that will open / close your garage door over the internet and activate it via the google assistant in android auto or its own app?

I dunno about everyone else, but me personally, yes the idea of an internet connected "smart" garage opener is attractive, but at the same time I still have reservations about my garage door or my house's door locks being online. I know the actual chances of something getting "hacked" are pretty low, but I like the old fashioned security of just knowing that if my door is locked, you need a physical key to get into it (or brute force of course, but that's beside the point). I say this as a guy in my 20s who has quite a lot of other things in my life internet connected and "smart-ified", if you will.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
I dunno about everyone else, but me personally, yes the idea of an internet connected "smart" garage opener is attractive, but at the same time I still have reservations about my garage door or my house's door locks being online. I know the actual chances of something getting "hacked" are pretty low, but I like the old fashioned security of just knowing that if my door is locked, you need a physical key to get into it (or brute force of course, but that's beside the point). I say this as a guy in my 20s who has quite a lot of other things in my life internet connected and "smart-ified", if you will.

That is a good point and my biggest concern as well.
That said, a simple solution like this makes a $600+ Homelink mirror (with install) look mighty pricey.

·
415 Posts
That is a good point and my biggest concern as well.
That said, a simple solution like this makes a $600+ Homelink mirror (with install) look mighty pricey.
Yeah, agreed. I for sure see the appeal and convenience of the homelink mirror, but it's definitely not worth the cost, so I'll still be sticking with a good old garage door "clicker" clipped to the visor, personally :)

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Yeah, agreed. I for sure see the appeal and convenience of the homelink mirror, but it's definitely not worth the cost, so I'll still be sticking with a good old garage door "clicker" clipped to the visor, personally :)
A simple and low-cost solution indeed. I have a big security concern about that one too though - if somebody breaks into your car and steals your opener, then your garage will be raided. That happened a few times in my neighborhood 5 - 10 years ago back when people had the small remotes instead of Homelink mirrors.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
Get a WiFi enabled garage door opener or update your opener to make it WiFi enabled, and use your phone to open the garage.

·
415 Posts
A simple and low-cost solution indeed. I have a big security concern about that one too though - if somebody breaks into your car and steals your opener, then your garage will be raided. That happened a few times in my neighborhood 5 - 10 years ago back when people had the small remotes instead of Homelink mirrors.
Oh true, fair point there, although my car is basically never parked outside of the garage if I'm home, so that risk for me would require someone breaking into the car while I'm away from home, and then have to figure out my address somehow from there. Which I guess if they're casing me/my car then that's that, but, eh, also seems unlikely? I guess I should do some cursory research on the risk levels either way. But my instinct is to go with the cheaper simpler option.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Oh true, fair point there, although my car is basically never parked outside of the garage if I'm home, so that risk for me would require someone breaking into the car while I'm away from home, and then have to figure out my address somehow from there. Which I guess if they're casing me/my car then that's that, but, eh, also seems unlikely? I guess I should do some cursory research on the risk levels either way. But my instinct is to go with the cheaper simpler option.
Your address is on your registration form in your glove box, next to your garage door opener.
Yeah, I'll start off with the simple garage remote too, but it is good to understand the risks.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
181 Posts
I’ll take a look at it when it comes in, if I think I can install it I will. I’ll also document the process here.
I suspect it will be pretty straightforward. On cars that already have power at the mirror for auto-dimming (like the ID.4), it's typically just a straight swap. This video of a mirror-swap in a Mk7 Golf R should give you some idea what to expect:

·
415 Posts
Your address is on your registration form in your glove box, next to your garage door opener.
Yeah, I'll start off with the simple garage remote too, but it is good to understand the risks.
Actually no, our registration here comes with 2 stubs, 1 with address that you should keep at home, and 1 with no address on it to keep in the car.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
I suspect it will be pretty straightforward.
On your challenge ;), I just went out to my new FE and investigated:

1) The case that's mounted on the windshield is a bit different than the video with a larger flat area immediately behind the mirror. Also, the front section is now 1 piece which is attached to the windshield.
2) I took my fingernails and unclipped the large flat area from the back first and then rotated the back downward toward the windshield and off it came!
3) Now I had access to what looks like the same 8 position connector plug as in the video above. The 4 conductors are in the same positions (1,2,3, and 6). I was easily able to disconnect the plug from the mirror.
4) The way that the mirror mounts appears similar also. With a circular rotation toward the left side of the vehicle (driver's side here in the US) of around 90deg, the mirror came loose from the mount and could then be brought down and out of the windshield mount. (I stopped at this point because I don't have the proper Homelink mirror yet)
5) Based upon this feasibility study, I've got no problem spending the $250-300 and doing the labor myself.

I am hopeful that I can find the correct mirror in stock somewhere since it is the same part # used on the 2019-2021 Jetta.

Part Number: 000072548L
Supersession(s): 000-072-548-L; 72548L

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
181 Posts
Great work! Anything tricky about getting the trim pieces off & back on? I have a long history of prying in the wrong place and breaking tabs.

Given your experience, I’d guess that $600 dealer estimate is probably high. You never know with dealers, though.

·
415 Posts

1) The case that's mounted on the windshield is a bit different than the video with a larger flat area immediately behind the mirror. Also, the front section is now 1 piece which is attached to the windshield.
2) I took my fingernails and unclipped the large flat area from the back first and then rotated the back downward toward the windshield and off it came!
3) Now I had access to what looks like the same 8 position connector plug as in the video above. The 4 conductors are in the same positions (1,2,3, and 6). I was easily able to disconnect the plug from the mirror.
4) The way that the mirror mounts appears similar also. With a circular rotation toward the left side of the vehicle (driver's side here in the US) of around 90deg, the mirror came loose from the mount and could then be brought down and out of the windshield mount. (I stopped at this point because I don't have the proper Homelink mirror yet)
5) Based upon this feasibility study, I've got no problem spending the $250-300 and doing the labor myself.

I am hopeful that I can find the correct mirror in stock somewhere since it is the same part # used on the 2019-2021 Jetta.

Part Number: 000072548L
Supersession(s): 000-072-548-L; 72548L
Ok this sounds pretty promising I must say. If it's literally just unclip a plastic cover, unplug a cable, rotate the old mirror to dismount it, then mount the new one and plug in the existing cable and put the plastic back, I would also be open to upgrading to that at some point and doing the labor myself. What I would've balked at would be having to run more wires up the A pillar and all that kind of shenanigans.

·
566 Posts
Windy in central MD today. My FE was very stable, I guess because of the low center of gravity 😎.
Addendum: travel assist sucks in heavy gusts👎. To be expected.
Guy in Tesla checked me out on the interstate. Came up behind me, circled around me then gave me a thumbs up 👍. Then continued on up ahead.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts