Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
No, it's not a "just use your turn signal" thing.

Maybe you've had good luck. That's great - that means the lane markings where you drive are done correctly. They're not even close where I live. Welcome to Texas.
This happens in NY as well. The real safety problem is that it is not predictable. I mostly have problems in construction areas where the traffic pattern has been changed.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I apologize for using incorrect terminology at the top of the thread. That was sloppy.

I’ll give another example. I frequently drive between Eugene and Oakridge via OR State Hwy 58. This is a winding 2-lane in the mountains with many curves. LKA is constantly nudging the car and complaining that I’m not centered in the lane. It’s impossible to stay precisely centered in the lane at all times under these driving conditions. In the winter when lane striping is worn thin and it’s wet, the car will not be able to stay centered. I say this from my experience.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is a top priority of mine as well. In the end, I think VW will wind up getting sued if they don't allow this to be turned off and left off. Someone who isn't an attentive driver, or comfortable getting aggressive steering, is going to get pushed into traffic or off the road and hurt or worse.

I've beat this drum a lot, but this thing is dangerous, at least here in the US. The lane markings just aren't there for it to work correctly. I turn it off every time, but in the few times I haven't it's tried to push me off the road twice and into an oncoming car twice. Yes, it's steered me into an oncoming car twice. Every time I've had to fight it to get it to do what I want.

No, it's not a "just use your turn signal" thing. It'll grab longitudinal expansion joints thinking they're lane markers and steer you wrong - right over the faded lane markers! I don't use turn signals for expansion joints. Sorry. Twice I've had it just steer me wrong for no discernable reason. No shadows, no color changes in the pavement - nothing.

No, it's not "it's easy to overpower it." It's not. I steer with a very light touch. I can overpower it, but to do so means I have to use what I would describe as an emergency-type strength. I shouldn't face emergency situations because of an active feature in my car. Ever.

Maybe you've had good luck. That's great - that means the lane markings where you drive are done correctly. They're not even close where I live. Welcome to Texas.

I would love for this feature to be usable. I would love to be able to leave it on. But it's dangerous as implemented.

I should note that my previous car, a 2018 Accord Hybrid, also had this feature. In fact, I'm 90% certain that the software and hardware is from the same company VW is using. The point is, that system made the same errors. The big difference - I could turn it off after it became obvious that it was dangerous. With a hardware button, no less!
Thank you for explaining this potentially dangerous feature much better than I did.

The fix suggested by Ross-Tech has been applied to my car and seems to work: LKA retains its last setting instead of reverting to Enabled every driving session. Will do some more testing today and report back…

·
141 Posts
The fix suggested by Ross-Tech has been applied to my car and seems to work: LKA retains its last setting instead of reverting to Enabled every driving session.
Could you expand on what that fix is and how to apply it?

·
ID4 1st Edition Blue Dusk Metallic/Black/Silver
5 Posts
Lane Keep Assist defaults to ON at every “start”. You can disable it, but only while the car is not in motion. And at start up it takes a minute or more for this config screen to even become accessible.

I hate loathe detest and despise Lane Assist. Sometimes it tries to vigorously pull the steering wheel out of my hands for incorrect reasons. I want it to default to Off, not On.

I’ve poked around with VCDS and don’t see a way to change this behavior.

Anyone know how to set this feature with VCDS to default to OFF? I thank you in advance. :)
This is something that is permanently on in my UK model. I find it most annoying as it seems to pick up old faded road markings or where there are lines from old road works. However, you can turn it off when the car is in motion. My wife has turned it off for me many times, as like many others have found, going through the menus on the infotainment screen is a bit long and drawn out and not very safe when driving. I also emailed VW in Germany when I first had the car and their response was that it's not something they were looking into at the time. Maybe they will in the future.

·
690 Posts
Thank you for explaining this potentially dangerous feature much better than I did.

The fix suggested by Ross-Tech has been applied to my car and seems to work: LKA retains its last setting instead of reverting to Enabled every driving session. Will do some more testing today and report back…
This is the way I would like to see it, for the car to remember the last known setting.

·
276 Posts

How did you apply the fix?

·
690 Posts
Could you expand on what that fix is and how to apply it?
You will:
a) need to buy the Ross-Tech VCDS software and cable if you don't already have it.
b) then wait for Ross-Tech to release a version of their software that includes this feature.

It sounds like R-T is making some progress, we just need to be patient. VW has locked down most of the controllers pretty tight and it will take some time for R-T to get access. Presently they can read but can't write to the controllers. Although it does sound like they are making progress.
Then the question is, what happens next time you are at the dealers and they hook your car up to their computers. Will you get flagged for making an unauthorized change and start denying your warranty?? They started doing that with 'chipped' cars.

Reactions: mochalatte

·
276 Posts
It’s not un authorized all actions are logged and allows by the VW backend. The only way to get the key to change settings

But ugh, $200 to change a few settings

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK, I made the coding change (suggested by Ross-Tech) to LKA so it defaults to Disabled now at each "start". Went for 40 mile test drive with and w/o using ACC Adaptive Cruise Control. No change whatsoever in ACC behavior, just no LKA now by default.

Also tried Travel Assist. Turning that On enables LKA along with ACC. Turning off cruise control turns both those features off, and LKA remains off until the next time I enable it with Travel Assist (or via the menus).

This is how I want it to work. I can now enable or disable LKA "on demand" using the steering wheel buttons. I don't have to mess with the menus every time I go somewhere, and if I do enable LKA it will revert to Disabled at the next start, or if I turn off Cruise/ACC.

================

I have no association with Ross-Tech in any way except for being a satisfied customer since around 2012, back when the product was called Vag-Com. I've paid to upgrade the hardware and to obtain more VIN authorizations after I used up the 10 I was allocated.

Their product does so much more than allow you to change settings. You may never want to change any settings at all, either because you're satisfied with everything or you don't like risk. You can after all brick your car if you go in there and randomly change stuff without knowing what you're doing. Personally I don't change anything unless it's well-vetted by other owners, or the info comes directly from Ross-Tech.

Having deep and detailed access to fault codes empowers you if you have to take the car in for a problem. Here's an example. My sister's 2016 Golf TSI threw a check engine light. The associated fault code reported by VCDS was "Cylinder 1 Compression Too High". By the time we got it in to the dealer, the CE light had extinguished. Well I did a little digging and discovered there's a VW TSB for exactly that problem, requiring a software update to the ECU. The dealer didn't want to do the update because CEL was off but I showed them the VCDS printout and the TSB and they immediately consented to doing the update, under warranty. Without the VCDS information I would have had no ammunition at all. The problem has not recurred.

Now VCDS (and a direct assist from Ross-Tech) has allowed me to correct what I consider a very annoying and possibly dangerous default behavior of the car. Dismiss it if you want but I couldn't be happier at being able to "fix" this.

·
3 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I registered just to add my experience. This morning I had my third near-miss with LKA (I forgot to turn it off again). I live in Oklahoma City and went to pass a vehicle that was riding the left side of their lane (typical city 4 lane, 2 in each direction). The center line was pretty faded and the car jerked me over thinking I had crossed the line into oncoming traffic, narrowly missing the other car before I could react. I have tried to contact customer care but the callback feature never seems to work (after 3 hours).

I just want to be able to keep it off between starts. Wife refuses to drive it while LKA is active and she doesn't like messing with the infotainment system that much.

Keeping an eye on this post for future information.

Edit for a little clarity.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you for posting this. I registered just to add my experience. This morning I had my third near-miss with LKA. I live in Oklahoma City and went to pass a vehicle that was riding the left side of their lane. The center line was pretty faded and the car jerked me over thinking I had crossed the line, narrowly missing the other car before I could react. I have tried to contact customer care but the callback feature never seems to work (after 3 hours).

I just want to be able to keep it off between starts. Wife refuses to drive it while LKA is active and she doesn't like messing with the infotainment system that much.

Keeping an eye on this post for future information.
I drive in Sport Mode exclusively. It's possible that LKA is more aggressive in Sport Mode than it would be in say Comfort Mode. Just a guess. In any case LKA isn't for me and I doubt I'll ever use it. Now it's disabled by default instead of enabled. (y)

·
3 Posts
I drive in Sport Mode exclusively. It's possible that LKA is more aggressive in Sport Mode than it would be in say Comfort Mode. Just a guess. In any case LKA isn't for me and I doubt I'll ever use it. Now it's disabled by default instead of enabled. (y)
I think I have everything set to comfort except acceleration? I will check my settings and see if that makes a difference in case I forget again. I've noticed on the highways it seems a lot less aggressive and will just nudge a little. It's just sometimes it randomly jerks over pretty hard in scenarios like the ones described above (terrible roads).

·
25 Posts
Lane Keep Assist defaults to ON at every “start”. You can disable it, but only while the car is not in motion. And at start up it takes a minute or more for this config screen to even become accessible.

I hate loathe detest and despise Lane Assist. Sometimes it tries to vigorously pull the steering wheel out of my hands for incorrect reasons. I want it to default to Off, not On.

I’ve poked around with VCDS and don’t see a way to change this behavior.

Anyone know how to set this feature with VCDS to default to OFF? I thank you in advance. :)
A selectable off? Ok. But not a default to off, please. I rely on Lane Assist. I would consider it a major inconvenience to have to turn it on every time I get in the car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,548 Posts
The Yin Yang of all these "safety assists" (aka "nannies"). The manufacturers tend to opt for the lowest common denominator in saving us from ourselves, particularly given the new normal of texting-distracted drivers. 🤦‍♂️
For many these systems are advantageous. They also make for good comparative marketing discriminators with a host of commercials highlighting this lane keeping, autonomous braking, etc.
But for others they're a nuisance at best and worst case counter-safety.
If the manufacturers make it too easy to disable same they open themselves up to potential litigation ("my lane keeping was off and didn't guide me back into my lane so ..."). If they make it too difficult many will counter that they need to better accommodate their unique driving environments.
I guess I would side on making it easier to disable, as it is in other VAG vehicles, but not default to off. I leave mine enabled as I've cited a number of times that although I'm very attentive to my driving there may be that one time .....

Yin: [not suggesting you're a distracted driver]
A selectable off? Ok. But not a default to off, please. I rely on Lane Assist. I would consider it a major inconvenience to have to turn it on every time I get in the car.
Yang:
This happens in NY as well. The real safety problem is that it is not predictable. I mostly have problems in construction areas where the traffic pattern has been changed.

·
190 Posts
@VW Dave - So was there a charge for this to be able to "crack" into the ID.4 - or was it just a beta VCDS build they provided you?

Thinking of having my friend bring his cable when he visits next if this goes public and there's no add'l cost involved. (He already owns VCDS)

Thanks for doing this!!

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@VW Dave - So was there a charge for this to be able to "crack" into the ID.4 - or was it just a beta VCDS build they provided you?

Thinking of having my friend bring his cable when he visits next if this goes public and there's no add'l cost involved. (He already owns VCDS)

Thanks for doing this!!
There was no extra charge - I already have licensed VCDS hardware & software. The capability is in the latest version of VCDS.

·
3 Posts
So I did my review a few days ago and received a reply from a customer care rep. She said "You would like to permanently disable the system. There is not a way to permanently disable Lane Assist, but we want to ensure the system is functioning properly for you." Suggesting I set up an appointment to make sure everything is working. I believe there is no malfunction, it's just receiving bad data from crappy roads and can't be expected to function correctly. This goes for any vehicle with the technology. I've driven Kia's with it and had the same behavior. The difference is that I can turn it off on that vehicle and it stays that way.

·
6 Posts
I won't be getting my ID.4 AWD in Canada for another 5 or 6 months. With the kind of road conditions in north america in general, it would be good to have better user control of this driver assist system. This is something I would use on the highways but not in urban driving.
I hope VW changes this feature in software before I get mine at the end of the year. I'm sure they can do this quite readily in a future OTA update. There's been enough feedback already for them to think seriously about this easy-fix option.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts