Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I did my review a few days ago and received a reply from a customer care rep. She said "You would like to permanently disable the system. There is not a way to permanently disable Lane Assist, but we want to ensure the system is functioning properly for you." Suggesting I set up an appointment to make sure everything is working. I believe there is no malfunction, it's just receiving bad data from crappy roads and can't be expected to function correctly. This goes for any vehicle with the technology. I've driven Kia's with it and had the same behavior. The difference is that I can turn it off on that vehicle and it stays that way.
VW Customer Care told me disabling LKA would majorly compromise the safety systems. If that’s the case, why is there a LKA Disable option in the user-accessible menus.

·
209 Posts
It will be interesting to see what improvements software v2.3 will bring to the camera. Camera is one aspect of the update that everybody seems to agree about. Maybe there's a LKA miracle heal included. The odd thing is that I have never gotten a 'keep in center of lane' warning.

·
562 Posts
I've had multiple late-model VWs and Audis (yes I have a problem) that had this feature and all allowed it to be enabled or disabled at will by the driver, on the fly at any time, on demand. The ID.4 is the first vehicle in my experience that insists on defaulting this feature to Enabled. And if the car is "asleep" it can take up to a minute to get to the screen where you can disable it, and only if the car isn't in motion.
My wife's car, a 2018 Pacifica has levels of lane assist, she hates it and turns it off where it stays.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,549 Posts
Either VW is now more litigation risk averse on this "safety item" or they simply didn't want to dig any further into your cited request. As we know, you can disable it each driving session via the menu but it defaults back to On for the next drive. By this default condition the lawyers can claim VW has done their best to automate and the driver had presence of mind in manually disabling some.

[typical disclaimer: I've been on a number of automotive component trial juries, incl. VW, so have some appreciation and insight. In every case in my experience the manufacturer prevailed and all such cases turned out to be 'ambulance chaser frivolous litigation', so yes I'm biased.]
VW Customer Care told me disabling LKA would majorly compromise the safety systems. If that’s the case, why is there a LKA Disable option in the user-accessible menus.

·
12 Posts
This is a top priority of mine as well. In the end, I think VW will wind up getting sued if they don't allow this to be turned off and left off. Someone who isn't an attentive driver, or comfortable getting aggressive steering, is going to get pushed into traffic or off the road and hurt or worse.

I've beat this drum a lot, but this thing is dangerous, at least here in the US. The lane markings just aren't there for it to work correctly. I turn it off every time, but in the few times I haven't it's tried to push me off the road twice and into an oncoming car twice. Yes, it's steered me into an oncoming car twice. Every time I've had to fight it to get it to do what I want.

No, it's not a "just use your turn signal" thing. It'll grab longitudinal expansion joints thinking they're lane markers and steer you wrong - right over the faded lane markers! I don't use turn signals for expansion joints. Sorry. Twice I've had it just steer me wrong for no discernable reason. No shadows, no color changes in the pavement - nothing.

No, it's not "it's easy to overpower it." It's not. I steer with a very light touch. I can overpower it, but to do so means I have to use what I would describe as an emergency-type strength. I shouldn't face emergency situations because of an active feature in my car. Ever.

Maybe you've had good luck. That's great - that means the lane markings where you drive are done correctly. They're not even close where I live. Welcome to Texas.

I would love for this feature to be usable. I would love to be able to leave it on. But it's dangerous as implemented.

I should note that my previous car, a 2018 Accord Hybrid, also had this feature. In fact, I'm 90% certain that the software and hardware is from the same company VW is using. The point is, that system made the same errors. The big difference - I could turn it off after it became obvious that it was dangerous. With a hardware button, no less!
"Someone who isn't an attentive driver" is exactly why this feature exists and defaults to "ON."

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
937 Posts
Euro NCAP, IIHS, and NHTSA all recommend this specific driver aid. Without getting into the weeds whether permanently or temporarily disabling it is allowed (I don't know) , NCAP awards a higher safety score when this system is present, and I believe IIHS does as well.

There's data out there saying safety ratings have a direct impact on sales (I'm surprised; I figure most buyers would be just as happy with a 4 versus a 5, or just assume a new car is safe).

Anyhow, like other safety systems, it's quite possible VW has configured their various driver assist features in such a way as to earn the highest possible score.

There is a NHTSA study claiming lane keeping systems reduce head on collisions, so if your personal experience is that you're being pulled into incoming traffic, I'd definitely report it up.

·
Moonstone Grey Pro
10 Posts
I also find this to be the only feature on my id.4 that I do not like. I try to remember to turn it off on each start, but this is an unnecessary pain. I have also found certain places where the road markings were misread by the system. Further, there is one road I travel frequently that is only two lanes, with many large trucks, RVs, etc. When they are coming toward me, I try to stay further to the right of my lane, and sometimes the system tries to move me back over. For the record, I always use my turn signals. There is a button on the steering wheel that will turn lane assist on; the same button should be able to turn it off. VW, please fix.

·
25 Posts
I also find this to be the only feature on my id.4 that I do not like. I try to remember to turn it off on each start, but this is an unnecessary pain. I have also found certain places where the road markings were misread by the system. Further, there is one road I travel frequently that is only two lanes, with many large trucks, RVs, etc. When they are coming toward me, I try to stay further to the right of my lane, and sometimes the system tries to move me back over. For the record, I always use my turn signals. There is a button on the steering wheel that will turn lane assist on; the same button should be able to turn it off. VW, please fix.
VW, please don’t “fix.”

I haven’t found that the system has absolute power over me. As long as I’m driving the car
I can slavishly accede to the system’s suggestions or not, as I wish. That is why it is a backup system, not to be confused with Travel Assist—a real lane-keeping system instead of a lane-warning system— which I find I have to turn on constantly just to keep it going.

Meanwhile, if I measure minutes of driving, the system is a highly accurate backup. During a ten-minute drive (600 seconds), I measured six seconds when the system misread a cue (1%). So what? The system isn’t driving the car; I am. That’s probably why the statistics are so overwhelming:

“New research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that if all U.S. passenger vehicles were equipped in 2015 with a lane-departure warning system, nearly 85,000 crashes and more than 55,000 injuries would have been prevented that year.”
—Consumer Reports

I don’t consider myself a superhuman driver, or even a superior one. Just average. That’s why I’ll happily accept the odds, the statistics and the science over my own fallible judgement.

·
25 Posts
I'll repeat my previous post, We just want no default, on or off. Select and stay that way.
Given the overwhelming science, I may be the innocent victim of a driver who has turned his safety system off. Are we really talking about cars here?

·
ID.4 Pro S - Silver
1 Posts
This "auto-reset" is what needs to go. If you like Lane Assist, great, keep it on. But if I tell the car to turn a feature off, the car should remember that I turned that feature off, and I shouldn't have to turn it off every time I go for a drive.

For the area that I drive in, mostly city and neighborhood streets, I find the Lane assist just dangerous. On narrow streets, dodging walkers, cyclist, garbage trucks and whatever life throws at you, I don't have time to turn a blinker on to avoid a surprise obstacle.

VW, just remember the settings from the last drive, and please stop reseting things.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
Are we really talking about cars here?
We are talking about choice. I and several others feel the car is safer in our hands when the system is disabled. We would like to select that choice and have it stay that way

·
167 Posts
"Someone who isn't an attentive driver" is exactly why this feature exists and defaults to "ON."
Yep. And because this "safety feature" will actively push you into traffic and off the road one or more of those people will get hurt.

Please understand that I love the idea of the feature. I wish it worked. But for it to work, it has to work either 1. flawlessly or 2. in a way that never puts you in a more dangerous position than you're in. It does neither.

·
167 Posts
Given the overwhelming science, I may be the innocent victim of a driver who has turned his safety system off. Are we really talking about cars here?
Or you could be the innocent victim of a driver who has left his or her safety system on. Mine has pushed me towards oncoming cars twice.

·
167 Posts
During a ten-minute drive (600 seconds), I measured six seconds when the system misread a cue (1%). So what? The system isn’t driving the car; I am. That’s probably why the statistics are so overwhelming:

“New research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that if all U.S. passenger vehicles were equipped in 2015 with a lane-departure warning system, nearly 85,000 crashes and more than 55,000 injuries would have been prevented that year.”
—Consumer Reports
That sounds about right, in my experience. But how many times (or seconds) during that 10 minutes did the system save you from drifting into oncoming traffic or off the road in error? I'm guessing zero.

Doing some math with my assumption there, you've got what amounts to an infinitely more dangerous system when it's on, since there's a divide by zero in there. Even if it saved you once or twice (you're an average driver by your own admission, I hope not) it's 3-6 times more likely to harm you than save you. That's...less than optimal.

And that's the rub. Even if it was even-steven in your example, there's a system that will actively steer you wrong with no reason to do so. Even when I'm paying attention, it's just stunning to see the car jerk into oncoming traffic or towards the edge of the road for no discernable reason. Safety systems must fail in the do-nothing mode, or be absolutely perfect. This one doesn't, and isn't.

I'm arguing against the research, I know. But the research appears to assume a system that works correctly, and that does so all the time. They might be using test vehicles on perfectly marked roads. But there's no way they're testing it where I drive.

I'm not asking for it to be shipped disabled. I'm asking to be able to turn it off and have it stay that way. Where I drive, it's more dangerous on than off.

·
2 Posts
This is a top priority of mine as well. In the end, I think VW will wind up getting sued if they don't allow this to be turned off and left off. Someone who isn't an attentive driver, or comfortable getting aggressive steering, is going to get pushed into traffic or off the road and hurt or worse.

I've beat this drum a lot, but this thing is dangerous, at least here in the US. The lane markings just aren't there for it to work correctly. I turn it off every time, but in the few times I haven't it's tried to push me off the road twice and into an oncoming car twice. Yes, it's steered me into an oncoming car twice. Every time I've had to fight it to get it to do what I want.

No, it's not a "just use your turn signal" thing. It'll grab longitudinal expansion joints thinking they're lane markers and steer you wrong - right over the faded lane markers! I don't use turn signals for expansion joints. Sorry. Twice I've had it just steer me wrong for no discernable reason. No shadows, no color changes in the pavement - nothing.

No, it's not "it's easy to overpower it." It's not. I steer with a very light touch. I can overpower it, but to do so means I have to use what I would describe as an emergency-type strength. I shouldn't face emergency situations because of an active feature in my car. Ever.

Maybe you've had good luck. That's great - that means the lane markings where you drive are done correctly. They're not even close where I live. Welcome to Texas.

I would love for this feature to be usable. I would love to be able to leave it on. But it's dangerous as implemented.

I should note that my previous car, a 2018 Accord Hybrid, also had this feature. In fact, I'm 90% certain that the software and hardware is from the same company VW is using. The point is, that system made the same errors. The big difference - I could turn it off after it became obvious that it was dangerous. With a hardware button, no less!
I agree the feature needs the ability to be turned off under certain driving conditions. On secondary roads lane markers are only one consideration of proper and safe lane positioning. I love the car, and really hope for greater control of this feature in the future.

·
25 Posts
We are talking about choice. I and several others feel the car is safer in our hands when the system is disabled. We would like to select that choice and have it stay that way
I completely agree this is a dangerous feature. It is simply far too immature to be enabled. I have been pushed too close to cars parked on the side of the road, into tree branches overhanging the roadway, nearly pushed into the guardrail of a narrow two-lane bridge (the lines ran under the guardrail) and nearly pushed into a ditch when it mistook tar and chip variations for lane markers. It is simply not up the task of lane keeping on secondary roads because lane markers are only one consideration of proper and safe lane positioning. It is absolutely dangerous. I have also had similar problems in construction areas on interstates.
very persuasive argument. I may be biased because I generally have Driver Assist turned on. As ID Furkan demonstrated, Travel Assist with LKA does a much better job of lane keeping than LDW. More predictable, it seems to me. The trouble with Travel Assist is that it keeps turning itself off!

·
3 Posts
Lane Keep Assist defaults to ON at every “start”. You can disable it, but only while the car is not in motion. And at start up it takes a minute or more for this config screen to even become accessible.

I hate loathe detest and despise Lane Assist. Sometimes it tries to vigorously pull the steering wheel out of my hands for incorrect reasons. I want it to default to Off, not On.

I’ve poked around with VCDS and don’t see a way to change this behavior.

Anyone know how to set this feature with VCDS to default to OFF? I thank you in advance. :)
You can change it whilst driving. That’s what I do.

·
6 Posts
Lane Keep Assist defaults to ON at every “start”. You can disable it, but only while the car is not in motion. And at start up it takes a minute or more for this config screen to even become accessible.

I hate loathe detest and despise Lane Assist. Sometimes it tries to vigorously pull the steering wheel out of my hands for incorrect reasons. I want it to default to Off, not On.

I’ve poked around with VCDS and don’t see a way to change this behavior.

Anyone know how to set this feature with VCDS to default to OFF? I thank you in advance. :)
I thought there are two ways t
It happens when you change lanes without signaling. It tries to keep you from crossing painted lane markings. It can be disabled, but as VW Dave said, it is a process.
It is why insurance is less on cars with lane keeping assist. To encourage drivers to signal when intending to change lane. My wife never had an issue. I hate it sometimes too but maybe i should just get used to using the turn signal.

·
ID4 1st Edition Blue Dusk Metallic/Black/Silver
5 Posts
I thought there are two ways t

It is why insurance is less on cars with lane keeping assist. To encourage drivers to signal when intending to change lane. My wife never had an issue. I hate it sometimes too but maybe i should just get used to using the turn signal.
I completely agree with your comment, but it's not just about signalling. You can't do that with old road markings. See my post (25).

41 - 60 of 74 Posts