Volkswagen ID Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
292 Posts
Having to stop the car completely to turn the 'feature' off is another huge pain,
If you press the Assist button next to the Hazard button you can do it while driving. Still a lot of taps to do it, but better than stopping.

My dealer is looking into doing this coding for me today, I'll let everyone know if they actually follow through with it or stop for legal reasons.

·
832 Posts
My question: I'm just a dance mom, not a techy. How can I find someone to help with the system modification mentioned above?
Best way that I know of would be to sign up on the forum TDIclub.com, TDIClub Forums, go to the OBD scanners section and ask for help. Tell them what you need and about where you live. Lots of folks there have the necessary VCDS system needed to turn LKA off. You might need to point them to the post here that says how to do it.

·
202 Posts
Just signed up to post on this. I've had my ID4 pro for 5 weeks and Lane Keep Assist WILL end up causing me to have an accident. It is a horrendous feature that is not appropriate for all roads and driving conditions and is completely inappropriate for the poorly painted lane markings and country road driving that I typically do. Having to stop the car completely to turn the 'feature' off is another huge pain, and as mentioned multiple times in this thread, being able to turn the feature off and have it stay off should be the primary option to promote safety.

My worst experience, which happens regularly, is taking a right turn that has a right turn lane (with a dashed line) separating it from the main 4 lane road. I typically hold the steering wheel with my left hand as I guide the car into the right turn lane and decelerate, while simultaneously activating the turn signal with my left pinky and ring finger. The lane keep assist then jerks the wheel out of my hands and try to keep the car in the driving lane, swerving me back into traffic, because the turn signal wasn't activated in the timing deemed appropriate by lane keep assist.

My question: I'm just a dance mom, not a techy. How can I find someone to help with the system modification mentioned above?
Like fiehlsport mentioned, press the "Assist" button. When that screen comes up, press the blank area on the left lane of the road. Yes, the area that doesn't have a button. That'll give you the menu to turn LKA off. You can touch anywhere on the line to turn the system off, you don't have to hit the tiny button on the right side. You can do this while rolling - but the car needs about a minute or more to fully wake up before this will be quick. Also, pay attention to the road!

Sadly, you'll have to do this each time you start the car unless you play with the VCDS editing stuff - which I might look into after a software update or two. And your assessment is spot on. Good luck!

Pics:

·
787 Posts
Make custom sticker and apply over windshield camera....
"I hate nannies" and it will cure all the problems that people complain.
It will be temporary fix ...while VW decides to make it more easy to turn it off instead of infotainment screen.
It only takes three clicks to disable when you start driving.
Not something I would advise...but I'm car enthusiasts and all my nannies are always off when driving

·
224 Posts
Lane keep assist in the ID.4 is a pain in the..... But autonomous emergency braking helps prevent or reduce the severity of rear-end collisions on the freeway/highway. And it seems to work quite well. On some winding roads one might experience ghost braking, so turning it off for those situations might make sense. I drive by rear-end collisions daily, sometimes involving many cars. Whiplash injuries can be debilitating. The problem is folks follow too close or become distracted or are just having a bad day.... The ID.4 shows a little symbol on driver's screen that shows two cars following too close for a given speed, even though auto braking isn't yet ready to kick in, which I find useful.

·
787 Posts
SFD - Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose it will be implemented in obdeleven they have been authorized VW AG and it will be available Q4 this year...
So be very careful once you start playing with this tool.....
And there is something for people who want custom codings to make ID4 work the way they like.
Ross-Tech.com is another great substitute.
Hopefully Ross-Tech.com is reading and listening....for me this still my favorite tool besides ODIS.....try to contact VW AG for needed documentation to be one of authorized companies for SFD.
Good luck and looking at you Ross-Tech.com

·
7 Posts
Craziest thing about this feature is that it drags the car to the curb if one side of the lane disappears, very smart and safe! Hooray!

·
202 Posts
Craziest thing about this feature is that it drags the car to the curb if one side of the lane disappears, very smart and safe! Hooray!
Lane Keep Assist shouldn't do this, it only reacts to getting too close to what it perceives to be the edge of a lane. It can get easily fooled by expansion joints, old paint, shadows, and who knows what else - but one side of the lane disappearing won't do it.

Travel Assist (lane centering, or what Tesla would call Autopilot) will do this. It's attempting to keep you in the center of the lane and when our poorly marked turn lanes appear with no dashes to define the main lane/turn lane boundary, to Travel Assist it appears that all of a sudden the lane is twice as wide as it was just a few feet ago. Hey, presto! You're headed for the center of the new "lane."

Don't confuse my statements above with a defense of LKA. They're not. The system (in the US) is a hazard.

·
7 Posts
Lane Keep Assist shouldn't do this, it only reacts to getting too close to what it perceives to be the edge of a lane. It can get easily fooled by expansion joints, old paint, shadows, and who knows what else - but one side of the lane disappearing won't do it.

Travel Assist (lane centering, or what Tesla would call Autopilot) will do this. It's attempting to keep you in the center of the lane and when our poorly marked turn lanes appear with no dashes to define the main lane/turn lane boundary, to Travel Assist it appears that all of a sudden the lane is twice as wide as it was just a few feet ago. Hey, presto! You're headed for the center of the new "lane."

Don't confuse my statements above with a defense of LKA. They're not. The system (in the US) is a hazard.
It happens to me everyday during my 35mph neighborhood drive... for whatever reason the always-on lane assist wants to follow a disappearing parking marking curve and hit the curb... it needs to see farther to understand not every white line is a lane, or simply let us disable it permanently .. Similar things happen on the highway ramp dividers with no lane markings and boom the car goes straight to the divider.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
216 Posts
It happens to me everyday during my 35mph neighborhood drive... for whatever reason the always-on lane assist wants to follow a disappearing parking marking curve and hit the curb... it needs to see farther to understand not every white line is a lane, or simply let us disable it permanently .. Similar things happen on the highway ramp dividers with no lane markings and boom the car goes straight to the divider.
I too have this. Does not matter if you are using Cruise Control. Even with the OFF button pushed for Driver Assist/ Cruise OFF. The car will send impulses to the steering wheel & message the steering wheel console for my FE.

New England roads are narrow & "crappily" (new wurd for your vocab) line painted (IF at all). The coding is confusing cracks in the road for paint. And I agree with chs123321, the tendency for the steering wheel impulses is to head for the ditch.

·
787 Posts

It is more like road engineering and how lines are used in US...or left still existing after construction is done .... US is nightmare to make calibration of windshield camera...so the hazard is US roads...and if you read the manual It will explain some limitations that just can't figure out some parts pf the roads because of bad quality control road engineers that sign on doted line....roads are ok for reopening.
This should be reported to government officials and if necessary hire people who actually care and want roads in good order .

·
7 Posts
It is more like road engineering and how lines are used in US...or left still existing after construction is done .... US is nightmare to make calibration of windshield camera...so the hazard is US roads...and if you read the manual It will explain some limitations that just can't figure out some parts pf the roads because of bad quality control road engineers that sign on doted line....roads are ok for reopening.
This should be reported to government officials and if necessary hire people who actually care and want roads in good order .
If a human can recognize the road, the computer should too. Otherwise it should only be an optional halfbaked feature, not an always on 'safety' feature. Also to require a road to be always freshly painted is quite improbable. And I agree that the ultimate solution is to build the entire road system based on sensors, but that only happens in Westworld. :)

·
787 Posts
If a human can recognize the road, the computer should too. Otherwise it should only be an optional halfbaked feature, not an always on 'safety' feature. Also to require a road to be always freshly painted is quite improbable. And I agree that the ultimate solution is to build the entire road system based on sensors, but that only happens in Westworld. :)
How many times have you seen humans getting confused with the road jungle we are living in.
This is bad road engineering and people who let it go like that. And with all nannies it is still In your best interest to take safety in your own hands...we are still far away from...legislation.... road infrastructure and 100% autonomy.

·
202 Posts
This works in science fiction, but in the real world computers need clear direction or they'll misinterpret things.

The roads in the US are so poorly marked it's laughable; even embarrassing. It's not just that they're poorly cared for, there aren't any real standards from state to state and even if there are standards they're not followed. What standards there are are ludicrous (see school speed limit signs with tiny type showing effective hours).

I'm not going to suggest that every roadway in the country be properly marked, or even marked at all. Way out in the boonies (I'm in Texas, there are lots of boonies) of course you're going to find unmarked roads. But in urban and suburban areas, and even a bit further out than that, the roads should absolutely be marked with clear lane markings and signage. Yes, they should be repainted every so often far before the lines fade into oblivion. This is a cost of doing business in the most prosperous country in the world. And given the safety factor, correct markings at least partially pay for themselves. If correct markings can lead to truly self-driving cars, it'll pay for itself many times over in safety and efficiency. Humans are really poor drivers.

·
7 Posts
How many times have you seen humans getting confused with the road jungle we are living in.
This is bad road engineering and people who let it go like that. And with all nannies it is still In your best interest to take safety in your own hands...we are still far away from...legislation.... road infrastructure and 100% autonomy.
This works in science fiction, but in the real world computers need clear direction or they'll misinterpret things.

The roads in the US are so poorly marked it's laughable; even embarrassing. It's not just that they're poorly cared for, there aren't any real standards from state to state and even if there are standards they're not followed. What standards there are are ludicrous (see school speed limit signs with tiny type showing effective hours).

I'm not going to suggest that every roadway in the country be properly marked, or even marked at all. Way out in the boonies (I'm in Texas, there are lots of boonies) of course you're going to find unmarked roads. But in urban and suburban areas, and even a bit further out than that, the roads should absolutely be marked with clear lane markings and signage. Yes, they should be repainted every so often far before the lines fade into oblivion. This is a cost of doing business in the most prosperous country in the world. And given the safety factor, correct markings at least partially pay for themselves. If correct markings can lead to truly self-driving cars, it'll pay for itself many times over in safety and efficiency. Humans are really poor drivers.
It's not that hard, I'm not talking about complex road conditions with people/weather/glare etc. This is a no traffic well paved road with legit well painted lines, its just the parking white line will bend towards the sidewalk and disappears. Other car brands can recognize the situation well, there's little excuse to this. Kinda of disappointed at the mobileeye tech they use and no wonder intel bought them and still in trouble. They need to spend money to develop the software, and better sooner than later. Before that, let the driver have a function to disable the dangerous lane assist permanently. It's just a matter of time people run into bad accidents because of this.

·
787 Posts
OK guys and gals, I've gotten the OK to post this publicly, keep in mind any changes you make are at your own risk and your own responsibility:

Use VCDS Release 21.3 or newer with a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface, if you were to go into Select then Address A5 then Coding, even though there is no label file present, it should ask if you want to use experimental coding. I believe that Byte 07 bits 4-5 should control this behavior and this should remember the last setting you chose, even after ignition cycles:

Configuration_for_lane_departure_warning_Kl15 - Last_setting

Make sure to save a record of your CodingLog.txt in a safe place so you can retrace your steps if you want to change back. Make sure to save an AutoScan before and after as well.
It is working ....and byte and bits are correct...

Attachments

·
787 Posts
Next thing is to disable auto start headlights that are triggered by speed motion....there are people who want this and some want to drive without lights on when driving....don't ask for mandatory noise emitters under 20 mph ....i will not do this....
Feel free to come with it before me.... i will do it when I have time.
And I will be moving to Ross-Tech.com forum in the future..... so future codings will be there to search....
His software is was one of my favorite tool when I was in college and it is still tool i love to use today besides VW ODIS.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts