Volkswagen ID Forum banner

The one change I want the most: default Lane Keep Assist to OFF

103K views 180 replies 60 participants last post by  vwbillposts 
#1 · (Edited)
Lane Keep Assist defaults to ON at every “start”. You can disable it, but only while the car is not in motion. And at start up it takes a minute or more for this config screen to even become accessible.

I hate loathe detest and despise Lane Assist. Sometimes it tries to vigorously pull the steering wheel out of my hands for incorrect reasons. I want it to default to Off, not On.

I’ve poked around with VCDS and don’t see a way to change this behavior.

Anyone know how to set this feature with VCDS to default to OFF? I thank you in advance. :)

#62 ·
These are all the discounts listed in my policy (very well-known insurer). Absolutely nothing about tech like LKA.
  • Passive Restraint: $5.35
  • Antilock Brakes: $9.90
  • New Car: $41.99
  • Electronic Stability Control: $19.24
Trying to anticipate 100% of the time when LKA is going to get confused and using the turn signals to override it is a non-starter. I'm not going to start using turn signals at random times for no reason other than to suppress LKA. That's me though.

#64 ·
Yes. Search NHTSA, IIHS, and Euro NCAP.

LKA isn't necessarily going to show up as a line item discount (I don't know why the others do when they're not optional equipment). It reflects in the overall safety scores awarded to the car by these organizations, and these scores factor in to their rates.

#68 ·
OK guys and gals, I've gotten the OK to post this publicly, keep in mind any changes you make are at your own risk and your own responsibility:

Use VCDS Release 21.3 or newer with a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface, if you were to go into Select then Address A5 then Coding, even though there is no label file present, it should ask if you want to use experimental coding. I believe that Byte 07 bits 4-5 should control this behavior and this should remember the last setting you chose, even after ignition cycles:

Configuration_for_lane_departure_warning_Kl15 - Last_setting

Make sure to save a record of your CodingLog.txt in a safe place so you can retrace your steps if you want to change back. Make sure to save an AutoScan before and after as well.

#69 ·
OK guys and gals, I've gotten the OK to post this publicly, keep in mind any changes you make are at your own risk and your own responsibility:

Use VCDS Release 21.3 or newer with a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 interface, if you were to go into Select then Address A5 then Coding, even though there is no label file present, it should ask if you want to use experimental coding. I believe that Byte 07 bits 4-5 should control this behavior and this should remember the last setting you chose, even after ignition cycles:

Configuration_for_lane_departure_warning_Kl15 - Last_setting

Make sure to save a record of your CodingLog.txt in a safe place so you can retrace your steps if you want to change back. Make sure to save an AutoScan before and after as well.
Thank you so much. My friend is coming at the end of August with his VCDS laptop and I'm excited to test this.

#74 · (Edited)
I can personally vouch that this mod WORKS. That insidious annoying and potentially dangerous LKA feature defaults to Disabled now. All other assist features continue to work fine. I can still turn LKA on at any time but pretty sure I never will. :)

Thank you Andy and Ross-Tech! This seemingly trivial change makes the car so much more pleasant for me to drive that the price of the VCDS hardware and software is insignificant to me. As a bonus I have a detailed window into what’s really going on with the entire car. Err, computer on wheels. ;)

#77 ·
Just signed up to post on this. I've had my ID4 pro for 5 weeks and Lane Keep Assist WILL end up causing me to have an accident. It is a horrendous feature that is not appropriate for all roads and driving conditions and is completely inappropriate for the poorly painted lane markings and country road driving that I typically do. Having to stop the car completely to turn the 'feature' off is another huge pain, and as mentioned multiple times in this thread, being able to turn the feature off and have it stay off should be the primary option to promote safety.

My worst experience, which happens regularly, is taking a right turn that has a right turn lane (with a dashed line) separating it from the main 4 lane road. I typically hold the steering wheel with my left hand as I guide the car into the right turn lane and decelerate, while simultaneously activating the turn signal with my left pinky and ring finger. The lane keep assist then jerks the wheel out of my hands and try to keep the car in the driving lane, swerving me back into traffic, because the turn signal wasn't activated in the timing deemed appropriate by lane keep assist.

My question: I'm just a dance mom, not a techy. How can I find someone to help with the system modification mentioned above?

#85 · (Edited)
Make custom sticker and apply over windshield camera....
"I hate nannies" and it will cure all the problems that people complain.
It will be temporary fix ...while VW decides to make it more easy to turn it off instead of infotainment screen.
It only takes three clicks to disable when you start driving.
Not something I would advise...but I'm car enthusiasts and all my nannies are always off when driving

#86 ·
Lane keep assist in the ID.4 is a pain in the..... But autonomous emergency braking helps prevent or reduce the severity of rear-end collisions on the freeway/highway. And it seems to work quite well. On some winding roads one might experience ghost braking, so turning it off for those situations might make sense. I drive by rear-end collisions daily, sometimes involving many cars. Whiplash injuries can be debilitating. The problem is folks follow too close or become distracted or are just having a bad day.... The ID.4 shows a little symbol on driver's screen that shows two cars following too close for a given speed, even though auto braking isn't yet ready to kick in, which I find useful.

#88 · (Edited)
SFD - Schutz Fahrzeug Diagnose it will be implemented in obdeleven they have been authorized VW AG and it will be available Q4 this year...
So be very careful once you start playing with this tool.....
And there is something for people who want custom codings to make ID4 work the way they like.
Ross-Tech.com is another great substitute.
Hopefully Ross-Tech.com is reading and listening....for me this still my favorite tool besides ODIS.....try to contact VW AG for needed documentation to be one of authorized companies for SFD.
Good luck and looking at you Ross-Tech.com

#90 ·
Lane Keep Assist shouldn't do this, it only reacts to getting too close to what it perceives to be the edge of a lane. It can get easily fooled by expansion joints, old paint, shadows, and who knows what else - but one side of the lane disappearing won't do it.

Travel Assist (lane centering, or what Tesla would call Autopilot) will do this. It's attempting to keep you in the center of the lane and when our poorly marked turn lanes appear with no dashes to define the main lane/turn lane boundary, to Travel Assist it appears that all of a sudden the lane is twice as wide as it was just a few feet ago. Hey, presto! You're headed for the center of the new "lane."

Don't confuse my statements above with a defense of LKA. They're not. The system (in the US) is a hazard.

#99 ·
Next thing is to disable auto start headlights that are triggered by speed motion....there are people who want this and some want to drive without lights on when driving....don't ask for mandatory noise emitters under 20 mph ....i will not do this....
Feel free to come with it before me.... i will do it when I have time.
And I will be moving to Ross-Tech.com forum in the future..... so future codings will be there to search....
His software is was one of my favorite tool when I was in college and it is still tool i love to use today besides VW ODIS.

#107 ·
Next thing is to disable auto start headlights that are triggered by speed motion....there are people who want this
And I will be moving to Ross-Tech.com forum in the future..... so future codings will be there to search....
I am one of those people! Will you post codings here as well as there?

I bought the ID.4 because it was supposed to be the EV "for the rest of us." Now I'm looking at jailbreaking a car? LOL!

#121 ·

Use OBDeleven, VCDS, or ODIS.

Under A5-front sensor for driver assistant systems, change the adaptations “switch-on condition lane depart. warn.” from “on (setting via menu)” to “off (setting via menu)”.

Security code should be 20103.

Sorry if this is already explained before.

Enjoy

#138 ·
I so hate this Assist this Assist that Stop/Start and then they add £5k on top the price of a new car and internet connection on new cars.
I Won't buy a new car again now with all this crap on!!

ABS/Traction Control, Reverse Beepers i am ok with.

This works for Assisted Braking and should work for lane assist too. But please make sure you test this on a quite section of road.
Disconnect the Plug, Normally push the connector plug taps either side before pulling out to release the plug that is connected to the Front Radar Unit.
This may be a a black box in your front grill or behind the VW Badge.
Tape the connector plug up well to stop water getting in.

This will disconnect the assist braking and put your braking back into the driver control and should also stop the car from reading the lanes for Lane Assist.
Their is also a Laser in the top of the windscreen with a dusk to dawn light sensor for auto on lights that switches of your dash board lights if it is dark to let you know you only have your side lights on or head lights off.

I hope this works for you and please test that you have full control of your brakes and steering.

#139 ·
I so hate this Assist this Assist that Stop/Start and then they add £5k on top the price of a new car and internet connection on new cars.
I Won't buy a new car again now with all this crap on!!

ABS/Traction Control, Reverse Beepers i am ok with.

This works for Assisted Braking and should work for lane assist too. But please make sure you test this on a quite section of road.
Disconnect the Plug, Normally push the connector plug taps either side before pulling out to release the plug that is connected to the Front Radar Unit.
This may be a a black box in your front grill or behind the VW Badge.
Tape the connector plug up well to stop water getting in.

This will disconnect the assist braking and put your braking back into the driver control and should also stop the car from reading the lanes for Lane Assist.
Their is also a Laser in the top of the windscreen with a dusk to dawn light sensor for auto on lights that switches of your dash board lights if it is dark to let you know you only have your side lights on or head lights off.

I hope this works for you and please test that you have full control of your brakes and steering.
I would not advise on this...if you want to make it go off .....put some sticker on the windshield camer view and it will bug you to clean windshield camera but all of mentioned above will be disabled until camera view is clear again ( or sticker removed)

#140 ·
I am one hundred percent in agreement - I want that Lane Assist OFF, permanently. The steering wheel vibrate I can live with, but the twisting of the (driving) wheels is not only annoying - it's dangerous.
Listen VW: when I'm talking ID4 in conversation, this is mentioned, and it's not going to sell any ID4s for you. Please get this wheel twisting feature OUT and OFF. (It is completely impractical to switch it off every time you start the vehicle, there has to be a keeping it off option).

#141 ·
I personally love it. I just got back from a trip into the mountains and it made the trip very relaxing. Not that I always want that on twisty roads but these are strange times. I also love it during my commute. Is it perfect? Hell no! But technology always has a downside that sometimes, not always, lessens over time. It is so easy to compensate for and overcome any of the computer induced deviations that I don't get the panic? And is it really that hard to turn off? It is definitely a safety feature. How about we all just buy a Tesla that slams into a parked emergency vehicle at 70 mph and call it a day.

#142 ·
On my 2022 with software version 3.1.0, lane keep assist stays off after disabling it once. I believe this is different from the 2.x software where it would turn on again every time you start the car.

I drove with this feature enabled for a week before I turned it off. At the end of that week I found myself more concerned with predicting when it would engage than with paying attention to traffic. It does work sometimes, but the other times it just kicks in unnecessarily, such as when two lanes merge and I cross the last few pieces of dotted line without using my indicator. Turning off the feature felt like a huge relief, a weight being lifted off my shoulders so to speak. Finally I was in control of the car again and I could stop spending mental cycles on predicting the lane keep assistant.

It may add some safety in certain situations but it comes at a significant cost, so at the end of the day it’s a net loss in my opinion.

#143 ·
On my 2022 with software version 3.1.0, lane keep assist stays off after disabling it once. I believe this is different from the 2.x software where it would turn on again every time you start the car.
Same here: 3.1 update allowed me to turn off LKA and keep it off. That's a nice change.

Also, the use of Travel Assist does not change this. I turned LKA off, then used Travel Assist on freeway, then turned Travel Assist off. LKA stayed in the default "off" setting. I know they are different settings, but I was worried that turning on Travel Assist would make LKA default back to "on." But it didn't. So there's another nice change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.